SWISS Throne Seats for Free?

Old Dec 19, 19, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Question SWISS Throne Seats for Free?

I am flying SWISS business class on LX 41 (LAX to ZRH) and then LX 180 (ZRH to BKK) on a B777-300ER. I am not HON or SEN.

The throne seats normally cost. But I've read that if you ask 48 hours in advance and no one has chosen those seats, you can get them for free. But when I've tested that, it looks like all advanced seat assignments for business class are turned off, and that you have to check in again at 23 hours before take off to get the throne seat.

Has anyone actually scored a throne seat for free without being HON or SEN? What's the exact procedure for doing that?

Thanks.

Last edited by alocsin; Dec 19, 19 at 12:38 pm
Old Dec 19, 19, 8:34 am
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
Afaik being neither HON nor SEN you can only get a throne seat once the check-in opens, means 23hrs in advance. If you have a feeder flight you can usually check in earlier for the following segment, i.e. 23hrs before your first segment the second segment is often also open for Check-In and thus it might be easier to score a throne for the ZRH-BKK segment.
Old Dec 19, 19, 12:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
You will certainly not get one for free by asking. They sell them for several 100$.

48 hours in advance the seats should open up. (That is before check-in!) Then you can select them for free if they are still available.
Old Dec 19, 19, 12:37 pm

Done it several times at online check in, without status with LH/LX.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 1:38 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by alocsin View Post
The throne seats normally cost. But I've read that if you ask 48 hours in advance and no one has chosen those seats, you can get them for free. But when I've tested that, it looks like all advanced seat assignments for business class are turned off, and that you have to check in again at 23 hours before take off to get the throne seat.

Has anyone actually scored a throne seat for free without being HON or SEN? What's the exact procedure for doing that?
Indeed, Swiss do block (aka disable) seat selection 48+ hours before travel.

I've gotten them for free (as UA*G, but that shouldn't matter), but only via the usual checkin, which doesn't open until closer to the flight.

I'm guessing the 48 hour claim is from older better days when Swiss were less obnoxious than they currently are?
Old Dec 19, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
48 hours in advance the seats should open up. (That is before check-in!) Then you can select them for free if they are still available.
But how?

I am a *G and right now, I am ~40h away from a A330 flight in C. Seat selection is now closed and online check-in not yet available.

I am usually successful at getting a throne once online check-in opens, but I'd love to know about a way to get it in the 48-24h window.
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN
If this is your first flight, SWISS opens online check-in for you 23 hrs before the departure time.

For those whose bookings include other flights before this flight, the online check-in and seat selection will be available 23 hrs before THEIR first flight, so they will be will be ahead of you.

Star Alliance Gold doesn't help, M&M SEN does.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:07 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
But how?

I am a *G and right now, I am ~40h away from a A330 flight in C. Seat selection is now closed and online check-in not yet available.

I am usually successful at getting a throne once online check-in opens, but I'd love to know about a way to get it in the 48-24h window.
I would check back every once in a while during that 48-24 hours window, on the app and on the pc. Last time for me, it also gave me some unselectable seat page and suddenly (I think it was on the app, but I'm not sure anymore) I could get plenty of seats. And this was let's say at about H-30, so before check in opened. Finger crossed for you!
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
As recently as April I was able to select a throne around 47 hrs out.
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:59 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Originally Posted by Artemio View Post
I would check back every once in a while during that 48-24 hours window, on the app and on the pc.
LX says
All the seats for advanced reservation have already been allocated. But you may still choose your seat within 23 hours before departure when you check-in. Further information can be found in our conditions of seat selection.
Old Dec 20, 19, 2:23 am

Well, the fact remains that throne seats are unblocked exactly 48 horus before departure. If online seat selection is available or not does not matter. One could for example call the hotline and ask to be assigned a certain throne seat. (If the online selection is unavailable)

But yes, in recent times online seat selection has sometimes been blocked between 48 hours before departure and 23 hours when check-in starts. I remember this being the case for Economy always, but for Business only in the recent year. Even though it is sometimes blocked that is not always the case which means you still have a chance to get to the seat selection page between T-48 and T-23. I'm not quite sure why selection is sometimes blocked there and why this recently extended to Business Class.
Old Jan 17, 20, 5:58 am
Original Poster

I wasn't able to get it on LX 41 -- business class was almost full.

But we got throne seats for LX 180 when we checked in 24 hours in advance for LX 41 and, by extension, LX 180.

Thanks for everyone's advice and experiences.
Old Jan 17, 20, 6:54 am

since when have they blocked seat assignment at T-48? That is a very obnoxious development, but I guess LX is realizing the lost revenue from this 'loophole' was too significant to ignore?
Anyway, as a data point I was able to get a throne at T-48 on NRT-ZRH back in August 2019.
Old Jan 17, 20, 6:59 am
Original Poster

I actually called about getting a throne seat 48 hours beforehand. They said it would be available only at 24 hours before checkin (for non-status passengers).

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
Well, the fact remains that throne seats are unblocked exactly 48 horus before departure. If online seat selection is available or not does not matter. One could for example call the hotline and ask to be assigned a certain throne seat. (If the online selection is unavailable)

But yes, in recent times online seat selection has sometimes been blocked between 48 hours before departure and 23 hours when check-in starts. I remember this being the case for Economy always, but for Business only in the recent year. Even though it is sometimes blocked that is not always the case which means you still have a chance to get to the seat selection page between T-48 and T-23. I'm not quite sure why selection is sometimes blocked there and why this recently extended to Business Class.
Old Jan 17, 20, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by alocsin View Post
I actually called about getting a throne seat 48 hours beforehand. They said it would be available only at 24 hours before checkin (for non-status passengers).
The seat assignments have indeed been blocked from 48 hours to OLCI, at least I haven't seen them not being blocked at that time at all recently. It appears that even the agents can't even access them anymore.

I guess OLCI is the time to grab your seats now!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: