Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrade C to F question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Paid Upgrade C to F question

We will be flying to SFO-ZRH-FRA in C on mileage tix via UA. Does anyone know if we can pay for un upgrade to F on the TATL flight? I wrote to LX but they replied to ask my "travel agency". LOL
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:34 am

In ZRH it would be possible at the checkin/gate, but if it is also possible in SFO?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:42 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
It can also be done on the plane if there are seats left, however, at a significant price, depending on the booking class. (I think it was 4k from P the alst time I saw the chart?)
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Do these upgrade uptions (LMU at check-in / gate / plane) work for booking class I, i.e. award ticket as in the case of the OP?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: LXFF
Cash upgrade works for any ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:59 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by airoli
Do these upgrade uptions (LMU at check-in / gate / plane) work for booking class I, i.e. award ticket as in the case of the OP?
The ultra expensive chash upgrade on board certainly also works for I, however, it might come cheaper just buying a new First Class ticket in that case.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
It will be $$$$$$, and yes might just as well buy a whole ticket at that point.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I doubt LX will allow you to "upgrade" a mileage ticket issued by UA.
In fact, as they told you over the phone, any changes must go through United.
I guess you could buy in cash a one way First class ticket at the airport but needless to say it is very pricey (and that is not your question) AND if you do not use the outbound mileage ticket issued by UA, they may and most likely will, cancel the second leg of the outbound and the return.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you everyone for your input. It is very much appreciated!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: LXFF
Originally Posted by keisari
I doubt LX will allow you to "upgrade" a mileage ticket issued by UA.
In fact, as they told you over the phone, any changes must go through United.
I guess you could buy in cash a one way First class ticket at the airport but needless to say it is very pricey (and that is not your question) AND if you do not use the outbound mileage ticket issued by UA, they may and most likely will, cancel the second leg of the outbound and the return.
you can upgrade any ticket at the gate/check-in. This obviously depends on the availability, but it happens very often on short flights like YUL-ZRH where less people want to pay first class. Last February the check in agent was really pushing for an upgrade to F and I was booked on Aeroplan points. The price will be the same no matter what the ticket.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Nobbi
We will be flying to SFO-ZRH-FRA in C on mileage tix via UA. Does anyone know if we can pay for un upgrade to F on the TATL flight? I wrote to LX but they replied to ask my "travel agency". LOL
It will be hell of cash to pay for that upgrade. Save that money for Xmas shopping and better accommodation in Germany.
Vixit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.