EU261 compensation for canceled LX flights ZRH-LUG with connection to CPH

Old Oct 22, 19, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
EU261 compensation for canceled LX flights ZRH-LUG with connection to CPH

I have had a couple of flights ZRH-LUG and return canceled due to the bankruptcy of Adria. They were all canceled with less than 2 weeks notice and all had a connecting flight to or from CPH.

The cancellation meant a delay of more than 3 hours on the outbound flight and an additional night in ZRH on the return flight. As far as I understand the flights ZRH-LUG are domestic and since Switzerland isn't an EU member the EU261 do not apply to those flights. But as the flights were part of a longer trip which either started or ended in a EU country and all flights were on Swiss metal or Swiss wetlease, my question is whether I'm entitled to compensation?
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:45 am

I managed to get EC261 compensation from LX when LUG-ZRH (at the time operated by OS) went tech, and my LUG-ZRH-AMS was delayed.

I can only recommend you write to LX and state your case, then when they inevitably get back to you saying they don't owe you compensation you refer your case to the BAZL: see here.

After a few weeks I received the money in my account.
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
I have had a couple of flights ZRH-LUG and return canceled due to the bankruptcy of Adria. They were all canceled with less than 2 weeks notice and all had a connecting flight to or from CPH.

The cancellation meant a delay of more than 3 hours on the outbound flight and an additional night in ZRH on the return flight. As far as I understand the flights ZRH-LUG are domestic and since Switzerland isn't an EU member the EU261 do not apply to those flights. But as the flights were part of a longer trip which either started or ended in a EU country and all flights were on Swiss metal or Swiss wetlease, my question is whether I'm entitled to compensation?

It doesn't matter that ZRH-LUG is domestic, your tickets are still under the regulatory protection. The bigger question is, will Swiss be happy to pay out, or will they fight against it?
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Thanks for the link. Appreciate it.

The responses from Swiss is a little strange. In total I have 3 flights which got canceled. For the first they accepted the claim within 2 days, and a couple of days later also the additional costs for the train ticket and other expenses. But together with the mail accepting the additional expenses they wrote that I'm not entitled to EU compensation for the cancellation due to it being a domestic flight. Never the less they paid out the compensation for both the EU261 claim and additional expenses for that flight.

The second flight they declined with the reason that the flight was not canceled nor delayed. The flight was scheduled to take place after Adria had public announced bankruptcy???

For the third flight I'm still awaiting an answer.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Oct 22, 19 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Hmm. Did the flight not somehow still take place then? I presume you'll have a cancellation email or something...
Old Oct 22, 19, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
Hmm. Did the flight not somehow still take place then? I presume you'll have a cancellation email or something...
No. Swiss terminated LUG as destination when Adria went bankrupt.

For the first flight, which was canceled before Adria went bankrupt, I got an SMS, and I had to call Swiss to get the Itinerary changed so I could check-in. For the following flights, I can't recall how I was informed if I was informed at all, but the flights were automatically removed from my itinerary (I still have a copy of the original itinerary and ticket).
The first flight was canceled with about 48 hours notice. The last 2 flights were canceled with about 4 and 7 days notice

I haven't received any refund for the canceled legs yet, so I assume they are still they are still in the original ticket. I'll have to call my company TA to get the refund, but the ZRH-LUG leg wasn't that expensive, so with the TA fees it will probably cost my employee money to get the refund.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Oct 22, 19 at 9:10 am

Search this Thread