Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 passengers on the same reservation, one does not show up for the return flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
2 passengers on the same reservation, one does not show up for the return flight

Hello,

A friend is traveling with his mother on the same reservation TLV-ZRH-JFK next week.
He wishes to stay more and have his mother return on her own. They are on a United ticket (016) and the class of service is L.
The ticket was purchased online through a third party website. They checked and said that the ticket cannot be changed, only canceled.

If his mother shows up at the airport without her son on the scheduled return day, will she still be able to board although her son decided to stay?

Thank you!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Call United and ask them to split the reservation. That way only one of them can check in and all is good.
rebech34 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the two passengers may be on the same PNR, each has his own ticket. If one passenger is a no show, it will not affect the other passenger (in this circumstance).

The friend should read the fare rules for his ticket carefully and not trust what Expedia tells him over the phone. It is entirely possible that the ticket can be cancelled and have some residual value and taxes may also be refundable as well.

That said, I would do nothing in advance. If the flight is substantially delayed or cancelled, the friend will be entitled to a full refund and may also be due compensation under Israeli or EU rules.
rebech34 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Often1
That said, I would do nothing in advance. If the flight is substantially delayed or cancelled, the friend will be entitled to a full refund and may also be due compensation under Israeli or EU rules.
Even with Israel being a tiny little bit paranoid about security I'd also second your choice and do nothing. While LX doesn't pay out EU compensation according to their "upgraded" ruling regarding delayed flights, they do when it's about a cancelled flight.

I'd not keep your hopes up too high for it to happen (and it's still a fight..) but I doubt there is any risk with arriving alone in TLV when your original booking had two pax on them. I'd probably feel even "safer" to do this at any other airport, but especially for a not-too-young mother, I doubt they'd find it suspicious. They might very well ask about it, though at the interview, and it might possibly lead to a higher number category (usually 2+ pax travelling together get lower numbers in average than single travellers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.