Can I sneakily upgrade a friend's flight?

Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Can I sneakily upgrade a friend's flight?

My girlfriend is visiting her mother in Zurich, and will be booking a round-trip ticket to fly home from Zurich to San Francisco. (It's complicated ... she uses the "return" trip to fly back out to Zurich in the next year, and visit her mother again, and repeats the process. So she typically specifies an arbitrary "return" flight date that is about a year out, maybe Christmas or summer, and commonly ends up changing it and paying the change fee once plans solidify though sometimes keeps it as is).

Anyway, if I know her confirmation number and her full name etc, is it possible for me to sneak and upgrade her to a business class flight? Would I need to upgrade both legs of the ticket? If I do this, does the 'change' fee become more expensive?

Thanks for your help!!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

goffredo Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by goffredo
My girlfriend is visiting her mother in Zurich, and will be booking a round-trip ticket to fly home from Zurich to San Francisco. (It's complicated ... she uses the "return" trip to fly back out to Zurich in the next year, and visit her mother again, and repeats the process. So she typically specifies an arbitrary "return" flight date that is about a year out, maybe Christmas or summer, and commonly ends up changing it and paying the change fee once plans solidify though sometimes keeps it as is).

Anyway, if I know her confirmation number and her full name etc, is it possible for me to sneak and upgrade her to a business class flight? Would I need to upgrade both legs of the ticket? If I do this, does the 'change' fee become more expensive?

Thanks for your help!!
Upgrade with what?
Your money or your frequent flyer miles?
A lot depends on the ticket t&c's. It may or may not be upgradeable.
If you go her "manage booking" [name - reservation] on the web site does it show an upgrade option/button?
Any upgrade/ticket change would likely have a email sent to the email in the reservation.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Upgrade with what?
Your money or your frequent flyer miles?
Cash! She hasn't booked it yet so I have no idea the fare class etc. My plan is to give them a call when she books it and sends me her itinerary and booking number, and see how far I can get.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Cash! She hasn't booked it yet so I have no idea the fare class etc. My plan is to give them a call when she books it and sends me her itinerary and booking number, and see how far I can get.
Will be hard to surprise her, as they will most likely bill the upgrade the same way as the original ticket and send out a confirmation to the e-mail address used when booking. Easiest way may be to offer to take care of the booking and then just book business class right away.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
There is no way they will discuss another passengers ticket with you
Any changes will be notified to the original pax.
worldclubber, jerseytom and Thysk like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by chris63
There is no way they will discuss another passengers ticket with you
Any changes will be notified to the original pax.
That is not correct
i have upgraded multiple friends as a surprise before.
as long as you know the name and the booking code, you’re good.

also, they will always ask for a new credit card so a previous posters concern this will be billed in the same way is not warranted.

to avoid her getting an email about it, you can change the email on the booking to yours, run the upgrade and then change it back.

the only way they would still get notified of that then would be if they see it in case if looking into the booking or when emailed about a schedule change etc.
deadinabsentia and airoli like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:18 am

Deleted

Last edited by Kleinnaf; Oct 20, 2019 at 7:39 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
also, they will always ask for a new credit card so a previous posters concern this will be billed in the same way is not warranted.

to avoid her getting an email about it, you can change the email on the booking to yours, run the upgrade and then change it back.
Interesting to read that you have actually done it.

I always use the same credit card for booking and upgrades so I assumed that it has to be that way. My bad.

Concerning the e-mail address: I am not sure it is OK to change the e-mail address in a booking without the booked pax knowing about it, although it is certainly possible with name and booking reference to access the booking and change all kinds of things. Would feel somewhat uncomfortable doing that.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the email address is changed, isn't a notification of the change sent to the previous email address? That's what should always happen.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the email address is changed, isn't a notification of the change sent to the previous email address? That's what should always happen.
This doesn’t happen with LX/LH
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:15 am

I am not sure they do it, as I have never tried, but I think they should!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
This doesn’t happen with LX/LH
That’s not good, as name and booking reference are often transmitted in non-secure ways.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:41 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Done it countless of times on LH/LX, never once have I or the other party involved received an email.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daumueller
That is not correct
i have upgraded multiple friends as a surprise before.
as long as you know the name and the booking code, you’re good.

the only way they would still get notified of that then would be if they see it in case if looking into the booking or when emailed about a schedule change etc.
Amazing & somewhat disturbing if you can take over another pax booking if you find out some details.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
That’s not good, as name and booking reference are often transmitted in non-secure ways.
Exactly, you can just manage another pax booking with minimal details but if you want to receive compensation for EU261 they want the utmost security.
worldclubber likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.