LUG - the end RIP

Old Feb 21, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I always thought and said that the LUG-ZRH service wasn't sustainable in the long term. LUG to some of the islands would be good, as well as some other destinations within Italy. LUG-GVA is the best one, if they can resuscitate it.

I'm really glad I did a ZRH-LUG outing with some of the Vielfliegertreff guys, followed by the short lived LUG-SIR with Darwin.
flospi likes this.

Last edited by Concerto; Feb 22, 20 at 2:59 pm
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Was actually surprised the ride from LUG to MXP on the new, direct line still takes that long, thought the target was 1hr, and considering the short distance.. but well..
The train to MXP from Lugano stops everywhere, so it takes forever. Also the trains themselves aren't great when having luggage. All in all, a good option only HBO or thereabouts.

let's see the vote. Whats the trend?
Not sure, can't find any polls. I'm also not sure whether it'll be a single yes/no question or if multiple options are available.

EDIT: so it seems there are two ballots, one from the canton and one from the council, which refer to two different chunks of money. The vote is planned for the end of April, and to spice it all up the council of Lugano is due for elections at the beginning of April. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by malmostoso; Feb 21, 20 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
L LUG-GVA flights, but since it would fall foul of cabotage rules the whole deal fell through.
LUG - GVA is a looong way by train or car (but the Simplon pass being very scenic) and even MXP - GVA not being served by air, the "direct" trains, at least new, are a pain and chronically delayed. Everything within 30 minutes of schedule is considered "on time".

P.S.: Lugano to Geneva by train always more than 5 hours for 136 miles as the crow flies......
Old Feb 22, 20, 3:02 pm

The thing is, getting to the Simplon pass is already a hell of a drive. The Centovalli by road is truly tiring. The other way is up and over the Nufenen, coming down the Gomstal after.

Sorry, my post above referred to the LUG-SIR and vv flights, not LUG-ZRH (I've corrected it now). That was a great trip. Only, we didn't see a single thing, it was bad weather all the way.

I think there is a good case for a LUG-GVA flight connection.
Old Apr 23, 20, 1:06 pm

Finally today Lugano Airport SA (the company that owns LUG) has been put into liquidation proceedings.

The plan is to find a buyer to continue the general aviation activities.
Old Apr 23, 20, 4:18 pm

Knowing Switzerland, there's a flying (ha!) chance that might happen. But if LUG does cease to exist (like Manston in Kent, England) it won't be the end of the world.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: