LUG - the end RIP

Old Oct 3, 19, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
How little do you suppose LX were paying JP that they don't seek another wet lease? Or what dodgy deal was in place that JP would fly this for them? With Winter around the corner, there is hardly a shortage of this kind of wet lease.
From a completely empirical observation, and being aware that ticket prices are hardly an indication of cost to the airline, the price of my usual AMS-ZRH-LUG R/T basically doubled when the wetlease went from OS to JP.

My conspiracy theory was that LX tried to make flights to LUG uncompetitive with a clear plan to scrap them sooner rather than later. The demise of JP probably just accelerated the process, I guess LX aimed for 2020 when the rail traffic situation will be stable. But as I said this is all pulled out of thin air.

On a related note, among the hysterical reactions of local politicians, a member of a small party spoke about focusing efforts to expand ZJI (Locarno) airport, which AFAIK can service jets (A320 and such). That could be interesting, and would open the LCC market (Milano North airport anyone?).

EDIT:Look at this!
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Originally Posted by Carpacchio View Post
If you use the service, how would you answer the question sometimes asked at checkin (or OLCI): did you pack the luggage yourself and was it with you all the time ?
Either with yes => your bag is checked in
or
with no => your bag is opened, nothing illegal is found, and then it is checked in

@:-)
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
[QUOTE

On a related note, among the hysterical reactions of local politicians, a member of a small party spoke about focusing efforts to expand ZJI (Locarno) airport, which AFAIK can service jets (A320 and such). That could be interesting, and would open the LCC market (Milano North airport anyone?).

EDIT:Look at this![/QUOTE]

Interesting picture, Locarno runway is 800 m long......
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
Interesting picture, Locarno runway is 800 m long......
Oh yeah, that must have been a *very* light A320! But yes, the runway would need extending of course to make it remotely possible.
Old Oct 4, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
From a completely empirical observation, and being aware that ticket prices are hardly an indication of cost to the airline, the price of my usual AMS-ZRH-LUG R/T basically doubled when the wetlease went from OS to JP.

My conspiracy theory was that LX tried to make flights to LUG uncompetitive with a clear plan to scrap them sooner rather than later. The demise of JP probably just accelerated the process, I guess LX aimed for 2020 when the rail traffic situation will be stable. But as I said this is all pulled out of thin air.

EDIT:Look at this!
That is not Locarno.
Old Oct 7, 19, 8:23 am

LX and SBB/CFF/FFS announced today the Flugzug, a direct rail service between Lugano and Zürich Airport and LX flight numbers.

Before there was no direct service, and a change in Zürich HB was necessary.

Now, who's going to be the first one to see if it accrues miles?
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Silver
That's some piece of good news, but I don't think the train will be direct to ZRH airport. Checking on the SBB website for the same departure/arrival times as what is shown on LX's website all trains will still stop at Zurich HB and require a change.

The advantage is that the price is included in the flight ticket and that one doesn't have to buy a separate ticket for it.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by LUGlodo View Post
Checking on the SBB website for the same departure/arrival times as what is shown on LX's website all trains will still stop at Zurich HB and require a change.
You're right. LX does not indicate this on their website. Poor.
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You're right. LX does not indicate this on their website. Poor.
give them a break. The new train schedule is coming out in December and I will be impressed if they make it work by then. Impossible to add any trains here or to change schedules obviously.
Old Oct 14, 19, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
give them a break. The new train schedule is coming out in December and I will be impressed if they make it work by then. Impossible to add any trains here or to change schedules obviously.
The new schedule isn't going to have direct trains Lugano - Zurich Airport either. Changing trains is generally considered a non issue by the Swiss. Train schedules are planned years in advance in Switzerland.
Old Oct 14, 19, 11:51 pm

In other news, three businessmen allegedly put forward a plan to save LUG at least for general aviation, pending of course a massive restructuring of the workforce.
Old Feb 19, 20, 12:33 am

LUG - the airport that won't die. Waiting for the referendum which will put to the vote the public lifeline to keep the airport running just a little longer, it seems that a German airline was interested in starting LUG-GVA flights, but since it would fall foul of cabotage rules the whole deal fell through.

Now the airport management is asking the Swiss government to issue an exception, but the situation remains dire. All staff of the airport has been preemptively fired, conditionally to the result of the referendum.
Old Feb 21, 20, 10:23 am

Apparently no exception was granted by the Bundesrat (Swiss gouvernment) - but they hinted to the Germans to setup a Swiss shell company to run the business. Rules and "rules".. gotta love it.

But anyway, it will be the vote on the referendum that will decide the fate of the airport. To be honest, only LUG-GVA really makes sense anymore, and there isn't THAT much traffic on the route that it makes it worthwhile to operate an airport for just that single route. MXP is simply too close as well and with the new raillink reasonably easy to reach.. 2hrs to ZRH, 1hr (?) to MXP..
Old Feb 21, 20, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
2hrs to ZRH, 1hr (?) to MXP..
Probably closer to 2.5 and 1.5 but yeah, that order of magnitude.
Old Feb 21, 20, 10:42 am

Probably closer to 2.5 and 1.5 but yeah, that order of magnitude.
ZRH will get more than 30min closer from LUG than currently once the Cenero tunnel is finished and at the same time the track along Lake Zug is upgraded, possibly also getting direct trains. But you're right, to the airport it will be closer to 2hrs 30min. Was actually surprised the ride from LUG to MXP on the new, direct line still takes that long, thought the target was 1hr, and considering the short distance.. but well.. let's see the vote. Whats the trend?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: