Can I use Swiss miles or travel voucher for United flights?

Old Sep 12, 19, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Can I use Swiss miles or travel voucher for United flights?

I experienced a minor inconvenience on a recent Swiss flight and was offered miles or a travel voucher as compensation. I donít have a Miles & More account and donít fly Swiss regularly, so was wondering whether miles or the voucher would be more useful for United?
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
I experienced a minor inconvenience on a recent Swiss flight and was offered miles or a travel voucher as compensation. I donít have a Miles & More account and donít fly Swiss regularly, so was wondering whether miles or the voucher would be more useful for United?
This is really a question for the Miles & More forum. Miles can definitely be used on a UA flight, if there is award availability at the saver level. Vouchers probably can't.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I experienced a minor inconvenience on a recent Swiss flight and was offered miles or a travel voucher as compensation. I don’t have a Miles & More account and don’t fly Swiss regularly, so was wondering whether miles or the voucher would be more useful for United?
You will not be unable to use these for a flight booked directly with UA.

But you should be able to use these (probably not together) on the LX site to make a booking. LX M&M miles can be used to book a UA in certain circumstance. Have no idea if a LXvoucher can.

As these are questions better for LX, M&M folks, will move your query there

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:25 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
LX vouchers typically require that the flights you use them on are operated by LX (no codeshares operated by UA).

Miles&More miles, however, can be redeemed for flights operated by UA or any other Star Alliance carrier, provided that "Saver" space is available. Of course, you need to have enough miles to redeem - I believe a domestic one-way in coach on UA is 15'000 miles.
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli View Post
LX vouchers typically require that the flights you use them on are operated by LX (no codeshares operated by UA).

Miles&More miles, however, can be redeemed for flights operated by UA or any other Star Alliance carrier, provided that "Saver" space is available. Of course, you need to have enough miles to redeem - I believe a domestic one-way in coach on UA is 15'000 miles.
Thanks, any idea whether a voucher can be used towards the purchase of a flight on United also or just miles? I have a choice between the two and trying to decide.

A couple of other considerations are:

- Can miles or voucher can be used for flight upgrades?
- Do either expire?
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Thanks, any idea whether a voucher can be used towards the purchase of a flight on United also
No, just Swiss flights (plus perhaps LH and OS if booked via Swiss?)

The voucher is typically one for use online on swiss.com , so it could presumably be used to buy an upgrade (for an already existing revenue booking on a Swiss flight) there.

Miles&More miles can definitely be used for upgrades, subject to seat avaiability.

Miles&More miles expire 3 years after being issued, and the voucher will definitely have an expiry date as well.

Search this Thread