Wiki Posts
Search

Jumping off in middle of award ticket - Swiss

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG
Jumping off in middle of award ticket - Swiss

I’m currently in Dubai with my wife on an award ticket.
we are scheduled to fly to Copenhagen on the return part of the award ticket, flying through Zürich.
After we get to Cph, we will continue to Houston, on a separate ticket which I have not booked yet.

Would it be okay to book Zürich to Houston, and when we arrive in Zurich I tell Swiss to offload my luggage and simply not do last part of award ticket?

I have 40 minutes in Zurich, so not much time.

Thank you!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
That would be tricky.

1) you'd have to short check your bag at DXB, collect it in ZRH and check it back in. I've never had difficulty doing these things at least when flying in F.
2) the biggest problem you'll have is booking IAH. If Swiss detects two tickets booked for the same time they might potentially cancel both. Not sure how often this happens in practice though
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I guess the better way to do it is to let the check-in in DXB know that you will only fly to ZRH and therefore to tag your bags only to ZRH. In ZRH, you can then cancel the check-in for the final ZRH-ARN segment online or via the LX App. This will make sure that LX knows you are a no-show before boarding starts.
Otherwise, what you propose should be fine in my experience.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:08 am

He can't cancel the last segment without paying the fare difference. He can say he's no showing but if Swiss detects another ticket it's probable that they'll cancel it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by sophialite
He can't cancel the last segment without paying the fare difference. He can say he's no showing but if Swiss detects another ticket it's probable that they'll cancel it.
Fare difference on an Award ticket ? Same number of miles & probably less taxes, not that they would be refunded.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chris63

Fare difference on an Award ticket ? Same number of miles & probably less taxes, not that they would be refunded.
Do LX award tickets use married segment availability? If so, then the number of miles required could be higher or lower without the CPH segment. In prinicple, the award ticket should be rewritten based on current availability if one wishes to drop a segment.

I think OP should assume that bags absolutely will not be short tagged to ZRH. Especially if there's checked luggage, dropping the final segment is a bad idea.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kleffen
I’m currently in Dubai with my wife on an award ticket.
we are scheduled to fly to Copenhagen on the return part of the award ticket, flying through Zürich.
After we get to Cph, we will continue to Houston, on a separate ticket which I have not booked yet.

Would it be okay to book Zürich to Houston, and when we arrive in Zurich I tell Swiss to offload my luggage and simply not do last part of award ticket?

I have 40 minutes in Zurich, so not much time.

Thank you!
Don’t see a problem except for the very short time you have at ZRH. CPH-ZRH-DXB return is same number of miles, if you drop ZRH-CPH & less taxes.

If you call in they should be able to cancel your ZRH-CPH, change fee is 50 EUR but you would be due some tax back
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do LX award tickets use married segment availability? If so, then the number of miles required could be higher or lower without the CPH segment. In prinicple, the award ticket should be rewritten based on current availability if one wishes to drop a segment.

I think OP should assume that bags absolutely will not be short tagged to ZRH. Especially if there's checked luggage, dropping the final segment is a bad idea.
I think it’s ok, since OP has already flown outbound coupons, only an agent could say, agree that it’s very unlikely the bags would be shortchecked on that schedule
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, I don’t see a short check to ZRH in your future. Either fly to ARN or have your luggage shipped home.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Hi,

thanks for answers.
to clarify;

i wont be doing award ticket from Zurich to Houston. I was planning on buying us a one-way, and it might not even be on Swiss. Perhaps LH through Fra. Then I wouldn’t have to go to cph and do some connection in the US.

The lost award-leg taxes would be a sunk cost which I don’t care about.

Are you saying that Swiss won’t allow the luggage to only be checked to Zurich, even if I ask for it when checking in, in Dubai?

thanks
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you saying that Swiss won’t allow the luggage to only be checked to Zurich, even if I ask for it when checking in, in Dubai?
Yes, that is what we are saying. Swiss won't let you short-check. On an award it may not make any difference, but since hidden-city tricks have increased hugely in recent years, airlines are very aware of it. You may get a lucky agent, but don't count on it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you sure that the purchased one way ticket to the USA won't be cheaper from CPH than from ZRH?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure that the purchased one way ticket to the USA won't be cheaper from CPH than from ZRH?
Perhaps it will. I didn’t look into that yet. I just wanted to get into Houston directly from Europe, but looks like I have to look for options out of CPH, since I don’t want to book tickets out of Zurich, depending on getting an agent that will be okay with short-check from Dubai.

Thanks for all replies, made things clearer.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:14 am

Perhaps it will. I didn’t look into that yet. I just wanted to get into Houston directly from Europe, but looks like I have to look for options out of CPH, since I don’t want to book tickets out of Zurich, depending on getting an agent that will be okay with short-check from Dubai.

Thanks for all replies, made things clearer.
SAS might have a nonstop into IAH. Otherwise, I'd look at BA through LHR (their "exEU" fares can be very good, especially for business class) or KLM through AMS (which traditionally also carries a lot of the oil employee traffic).

To avoid immigration and customs delays causing missed connections, try to connect in a Schengen airport rather than in the USA. IAH is a big airport, so you should have lots of TATL choices.

Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:15 am

There are no direct flights from ZRH to IAH anyways, so might as well start from CPH?

Maybe change the ticket to terminate in FRA or whatever other European city gets there directly?

Or since the airline to IAH will likely not be Swiss it is doubtful the airline will cancel your second booking, even if it is LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.