Should Swiss show some understanding? (Paid F)

Old Sep 6, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt
Should Swiss show some understanding? (Paid F)

Hi everyone. Please, read the following first.

1. I fully intend to travel on this non-refundable trip unless a refund (or a giftcard, voucher) becomes a solution.
2. I am just asking if Swiss should show some understanding during the circumstances.
3. Have you ever had a situation like this? What did you do?

Please do not be rude, I am having a hard time as it is.

Situation explained:

I booked a trip to Bangkok long time ago, over 6 months. In paid First Class.
Since then a person very close to me (however not mother, father, sister/brother) which I have known for almost 30 years have gotten cancer and will pass away within 1 month.

I asked Swiss if there was anything that could be done but no. They just state the rules. No vouchers, no nothing.
I have spent over 3.500€ on the flight itself, and including everything else I have already spent about 5.000€ which is 2 months salary for me. (4-6 working months including when paying my rent)

If he would pass away when I am in Asia I'd be destroyed.
Yet I can't really afford to just throw it away.

I fully accept the rules, but I just wonder. Should airlines show some understanding in a situation like this?
Of course I understand that people can just make up things like this to cancel non refundable bookings but what If you can show proof to confirm the situation?

I understand I will to 99.99% travel on this booked ticket. I just wanted some opinions what you think and if this kind of situation has ever happened to you?
I guess Swiss think it's more important with a 3.500€ short term profit than a person who would probably take 15-20 revenue F tickets during his lifetime. Even though I love Swiss I would probably look for something else in the future since they didn't even seem to care a tiny bit.

Thank you and have a nice weekend.
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: LH HON
I am sorry to hear about your friend but the fact of no
shows is actually part of the calculation of those super cheap tickets.

This is what insurance is for but I would not expect the airline to step in/be understanding.

good luck and hope it works all out as good as possible
chris63, more4less and athome like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by daumueller View Post
I am sorry to hear about your friend but the fact of no
shows is actually part of the calculation of those super cheap tickets.

This is what insurance is for but I would not expect the airline to step in/be understanding.

good luck and hope it works all out as good as possible
Yep.

Sadly I have to travel it seems. I really don't want to but it's to expensive to just throw away. If it was economy or something like that I would, without hesitating.
I am just gonna keep on praying for a schedule change or that he survives my 7 days in Asia.

Thank you for your kind words.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:24 pm

Is the ticket also totally non-changeable?

You may not be able to get a refund but maybe you can change the dates for a fee.
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
i was in the same situation with LX. My little boy got severely ill and had to stay in hospital for more than a month, we missed our flight to South Africa. They refunded taxes, Amex insurance took the rest. A contract is a contract is a contract. Fully appreciated at all ends.
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
i was in the same situation with LX. My little boy got severely ill and had to stay in hospital for more than a month, we missed our flight to South Africa. They refunded taxes, Amex insurance took the rest. A contract is a contract is a contract. Fully appreciated at all ends.
This situation has just happened to my sister albeit not with LH. Your situation (and hers..) underscores the need for cancellation insurance every time. I hope this works out well for you.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly View Post
This situation has just happened to my sister albeit not with LH. Your situation (and hers..) underscores the need for cancellation insurance every time. I hope this works out well for you.
Actually, can you buy a “cancellation” insurance which pays if you cancel a trip because of any reason? I mean... why would an insurance company even offer that? And it would also make refundable fares kind of obsolete? But actually never checked the trip insurances offered at various places since I’m pretty well covered through my home insurance and card issuers.

the big problem for the OP is, even with a traditional trip insurance he would be out of luck as I don’t think a terminal illness of a friend qualifies. In most policies it must be at least a member of the immediate family.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by fassy View Post

Actually, can you buy a “cancellation” insurance which pays if you cancel a trip because of any reason?
In the US, at least, you can. It's not cheap, and is generally only available if you haven't made your final payment yet. I think many only pay out like 75% or something of the total cost as well, but it's been a while since I've looked.
Old Sep 6, 19, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Have you looked at the cost of changing the tickets to a later date. Without knowing the fare rules of your ticket, nobody here can say, but it is often the case that change fees are quite reasonable.

Standard travel insurance is unlikely to cover the illness of a friend. All perils may do so, but can be quite expensive.
Old Sep 6, 19, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Andaz View Post
Since then a person very close to me (however not mother, father, sister/brother) which I have known for almost 30 years have gotten cancer and will pass away within 1 month.

I asked Swiss if there was anything that could be done but no. They just state the rules. No vouchers, no nothing.
I fully accept the rules, but I just wonder. Should airlines show some understanding in a situation like this?
Of course I understand that people can just make up things like this to cancel non refundable bookings but what If you can show proof to confirm the situation?
I am very sorry for the news of your friend. I've only had a similar experience once, when someone close to me (not family) was about to pass away resulting in me having to cancel non-refundable tickets with UA. As in your situation, the airline was not flexible in bending the fare rules of ticket. I wouldn't hold this against LX; the rules of a ticket are clearly defined if you are willing to read the T&Cs and you'll have very little luck in most cases getting agents to bend the rules even in these extreme circumstances. As others have stated, I would read the exact conditions of your ticket and see if you are able to make some date changes, or recieve some sort of airline credit for the portion(s) of the ticket you end up not using.

Originally Posted by Andaz View Post

Situation explained:

I booked a trip to Bangkok long time ago, over 6 months. In paid First Class.

I have spent over 3.500€ on the flight itself, and including everything else I have already spent about 5.000€ which is 2 months salary for me. (4-6 working months including when paying my rent)

If he would pass away when I am in Asia I'd be destroyed.
Yet I can't really afford to just throw it away.
I don't mean to be rude at all with the next comment as it's none of my business how someone spends thier money, but as someone who has been lucky enough to fly F within the LH group a few times, I could never justify spending 2 months salary for the experience. Traveling in luxury is obviously nice, but not when someone is making extreme financial sacrafices to do so. I would imagine you could easily get to Bankgkok from Europe for 1.000€ or less, and the difference between that and what you've paid would have gone a very long way in that country. Additionally, there's always a chance that the F experience does not meet your expectations for whatever reason (screaming children, rude FAs, illness that prevents you from fully enjoying the experience, etc.), leaving you with a feeling of extreme buyers remorse. I think many of us are guilty of falling for the F or J "hype" based on some of the wonderful travel experiences we read about on FT or other travel blogs when honestly, none of these experiences are ever life-changing.

Best of luck to your situation.

Last edited by Voldoo; Sep 6, 19 at 6:21 pm
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:47 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If the person dying is still of clear mind, maybe have talk with him?

I am assuming that he wants you to be happy too and would respect whatever decision you make. There might be a chance that he would even encourage you to go on your trip as planned as long as you are happy.

Maybe he doesn't want himself to be a burden of yours and may even feel guilty on his deathbed if you don't go on your trip.

You will both have to be on mutual understanding that it the time you meet before going on the trip may be the last.

Note: Most tickets, even if non-refundable can be exchanged for a new ticket by paying a change fee. Perhaps you may be able to exchange the ticket for a new first class ticket starting at a later date (may have to pay fare difference) or even a ticket a a lower class such as business class (if new ticket is cheaper, the residual is forfeited).
Old Sep 6, 19, 10:01 pm

How much would it cost to book an economy ticket? I would cancel the trip and do that if I had the money.
Old Sep 6, 19, 10:58 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
If the person dying is still of clear mind, maybe have talk with him?

I am assuming that he wants you to be happy too and would respect whatever decision you make. There might be a chance that he would even encourage you to go on your trip as planned as long as you are happy.

Maybe he doesn't want himself to be a burden of yours and may even feel guilty on his deathbed if you don't go on your trip.
I believe this is solid advice.

To the OP. I'm sorry to read about your friend and your concerns, but there is no way LX is going to refund the ticket. In Europe there is nothing called a voucher for later travel when a ticket is refunded. You should check if your travel dates can be changed but even if the ticket is changeable if most likely comes with a high change fee.
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:43 pm

It's might be a good idea to post the ticket rules of your ticket in this thread. Some smart people here understand that gibberish and can tell you, what is possible or not.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Talk to your travel insurer. Whilst I don’t think any person falling ill qualifies, the reading of my policy suggests it’s worth a call.

Search this Thread