Business class Zurich to Narita - reasonable price ?

Old Sep 3, 19, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Alaska, AA, KLM, Delta
Business class Zurich to Narita - reasonable price ?

Fixed bid upgrade from economy fare if accepted would total approximately $2500 USD return. Business class Zurich Tokyo return only and economy Tel Aviv to Zurich return. Is this a reasonable price? I have no experience with prices on these routes. Travel dates November and December return. Thanks
Old Sep 3, 19, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by testycal View Post
Business class Zurich Tokyo return only and economy Tel Aviv to Zurich return.
Not 100% sure how to read this? Two trips? Going from TLV to NRT through ZRH? Anyhow, for ZRH-NRT around $2.000 to $2.500 for economy to Business sounds kind of normal. For a full upgrade TLV-ZRH-NRT on the cheaper side.

Still too rich for my taste. Have seen CHF 1000 upgrades at the gate in ZRH for NRT and SFO.
testycal likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Alaska, AA, KLM, Delta
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Not 100% sure how to read this? Two trips? Going from TLV to NRT through ZRH? Anyhow, for ZRH-NRT around $2.000 to $2.500 for economy to Business sounds kind of normal. For a full upgrade TLV-ZRH-NRT on the cheaper side.

Still too rich for my taste. Have seen CHF 1000 upgrades at the gate in ZRH for NRT and SFO.
Full fare is $2500 USD all 4 legs (base for around $650 USD in economy added to bid upgrade of $1740 for upgrade to business between ZUR and TYO both ways

TLV to ZUR economy
ZUR to TYO is business
TYO to ZUR is business
ZUR to TLV is economy
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:33 pm

Okay, then it is not a bad price.

Iím just one of the people who donít see why I should pay $900 each way for mediocre wines (which I would never buy in a store in the ground), some meal which is decent for being prepared in an oven at 30.000 feet (if a restaurant on the ground would serve me the same meal, I would never return) and a bit better sleep...

if my client pays for J or F, fine. If I can get F or J on miles, also fine. But I wouldnít pay cash for the experience. Just survived ZRH-SFO-ZRH in economy (stingy client) and to be honest... after one night on the ground on both sides the time spent in the plane was forgotten. Funny enough, my last trip to SFO was in LH F and same applied
testycal and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: LX SEN
Just survived ZRH-SFO-ZRH in economy (stingy client) and to be honest... after one night on the ground on both sides the time spent in the plane was forgotten. Funny enough, my last trip to SFO was in LH F and same applied
ZRH-SFO-ZRH is on LX's 773. You can survive it, but on business trip, it is harsh.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
ZRH-SFO-ZRH is on LX's 773. You can survive it, but on business trip, it is harsh.
I'm ok with whatever equipment the major carriers use on long haul. Economy is always a pain but manageable. What I avoid like the plague is economy- on UA transcontinental, actually all UA domestic economy flights longer than 90 minutes. THAT is just punishment.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: LX SEN
I’m just one of the people who don’t see why I should pay $900 each way for mediocre wines (which I would never buy in a store in the ground), some meal which is decent for being prepared in an oven at 30.000 feet (if a restaurant on the ground would serve me the same meal, I would never return) and a bit better sleep...

Agreed that the figure that you indicate is useless for F&B which is very average. But,on a day flight, the extra productivity on the flight may be worth it. On a night flight, the productivity on the day after is also worth that figure. PE can often do the trick on a day flight, though.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
Agreed that the figure that you indicate is useless for F&B which is very average. But,on a day flight, the extra productivity on the flight may be worth it. On a night flight, the productivity on the day after is also worth that figure. PE can often do the trick on a day flight, though.
NOTE: the following section refers to using my own money for an upgrade on a business trip paid by some client (or employer). Not for my client straight up paying for J or F or flying for recreational trips.

To be honest, I'm one of those guys who don't work on the plane. NEVER. Doesn't matter if going economy, business or First. If I'm traveling, then I'm traveling. That is my paid time then. Paid travel time.

And also, going west my productivity the next day is great anyway. I always book the flight which takes me in around later afternoon or early evening, stay awake all the flight, have a dinner and go to bed at 10ish, wake up at 5am or so and be happy. Of course jetlag kicks in at around 3 to 4pm local time but even traveling in J or F won't make a difference there. On the way back, take a later flight out, try to sleep as good as possible an feel crappy the next day and be jetlagged for 2 or so days. But also do so flying back in J or F.

In any case, of course J is better than flying Y, and F is better than flying J. And if someone pays for J and F, or I have miles to burn, then I'll go J or F without thinking about it. But if my company (or client) is cheap and sends me wherever in Y, they have to live with me being a bit more messed up and I will not spend an extra of my own money to subsidies my clients. Actually, I use my miles most of the time for the F trips with my SO, happy wife... and so on. Works well for me.
malmostoso likes this.

Search this Thread