Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3.5 hours in Zurich for the first time -- go to city? enjoy the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
3.5 hours in Zurich for the first time -- go to city? enjoy the lounge?

I'm transiting through Zurich for the first time on my way to London, arriving from Newark at 11am and debating for LHR at 3:25pm. Is it worth it to go into the city? I know there is a quick, reliable train but I'm concerned about the lack of time, especially after grabbing a quick shower. I (deliberately) had 9 hours in Vienna last month and had an amazing time going around the city (I couldn't believe how much I packed into that trip), but this is a much shorter layover and, despite traveling frequently, I do get slightly anxious about being at the airport/gates with time to spare.

Or should I just enjoy the awesome looking lounge in E with its deck (and perhaps a quick stroll through the airport)? Any tips for getting to/from the lounge in E, based on my flights? From what I can tell, I'm likely to arrive into E so it should be right there. I'll probably fly out of B, though, and some people have mentioned doing a "double passport control" as the quickest, easiest way to get from the E lounge to the B gates. How's that work?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You could do it, but I wouldn't... it's just a shade tight. 5 hours or more would give you enough time for a quick visit to Zurich to get the feel of the place. Terminal E lounge is good, the one in the main terminal is pretty mediocre. But you won't be departing from Terminal E for London, so leave enough time to get back to A.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA
Most of my LX flights to London have departed from D gates —B gates are Schengen.

I would not be too comfortable with that little time — but I always seem to chose the slowest line for the immigration formalities.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Concerto
You could do it, but I wouldn't... it's just a shade tight. 5 hours or more would give you enough time for a quick visit to Zurich to get the feel of the place. Terminal E lounge is good, the one in the main terminal is pretty mediocre. But you won't be departing from Terminal E for London, so leave enough time to get back to A.
I concur, although it takes 10+ mins to get to the HB if you have to wait say 10 mins each way for the train you just lost 20 mins that you cant afford to. If the 1st train is an S train it will let you off downstairs in the HB and give yourself 10 mins to get to the Banhofstrasse (Main shopping street) then you walk a bit and turn around and headback to make sure you clear everything and get to the gate in time

I bet the whole time youd be worried if something will occur that will cause you to end up getting back late and missing the flight = you wont enjoy what youd be seeing.

btw its hit or miss if the Dragons will let you into the E lounge. Ive been let in and also denied and told to us ethe lounge where my next gate will be as The E lounge is for those departing from the E concourse
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:51 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by craz
btw its hit or miss if the Dragons will let you into the E lounge. Ive been let in and also denied and told to us ethe lounge where my next gate will be as The E lounge is for those departing from the E concourse
I find that experience surprising. Even for my schengen flights leaving from A using the E lounge is no problem at all & I've never had any problems in the dozens of times I did that. Furthermore, I've heard of nobody so far who had a similar experience like you.
The E lounge is *not* limited to passengers on flights departing E. This rule does not exist.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Nick Art
The E lounge is *not* limited to passengers on flights departing E. This rule does not exist.
correct !

Though the lounge angels will usually give the warning that you are in the "wrong" part of the airport: I suppose the more sensitive passenger might take this as discouragement.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I find that experience surprising. Even for my schengen flights leaving from A using the E lounge is no problem at all & I've never had any problems in the dozens of times I did that. Furthermore, I've heard of nobody so far who had a similar experience like you.
Hey.
Is the "E" lounge also allowed for arriving pax (Senator en LX/LH ticket) and finishing their trip in ZRH? As far as I know, the arriving pax (ending the trip in ZRH) can use the A lounge, but "E" too?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:40 am

Yes, you can use the SEN lounge in E as an arrivals lounge as a SEN flying *A. No different from SEN lounge in A in that regard.
Marcin83 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

As Peanut pointed out you can use all SEN lougnes as arrival lounges being a SEN (not *G however!). You could even use the SEN Lounge D if you wanted to.
Marcin83 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Staying in the airport it is! Good to know that I will indeed most likely be able to access the E lounge, as I was worried by that initial reply suggesting I might not be able to. It looks awesome and the other ones look lackluster.

Thanks for the feedback, all.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by PeanutYYZ
Yes, you can use the SEN lounge in E as an arrivals lounge as a SEN flying *A. No different from SEN lounge in A in that regard.
Thx for both answers.
Last 2 questions - when you go back from E lounge to A terminal (airside), is there a security checkpoint or just ID control? For the ID control I suppose the EU ID is sufficient instead of passport?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Marcin83
Thx for both answers.
Last 2 questions - when you go back from E lounge to A terminal (airside), is there a security checkpoint or just ID control? For the ID control I suppose the EU ID is sufficient instead of passport?
Just ID control, EU ID should be sufficient, but expect to have to explain that you’re going to the Lounge and not actually traveling outside of schengen.
Marcin83 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:05 pm

I did it a few years ago. You can catch the train to the central station downstairs in the terminal. They run pretty frequently, about every five to ten minutes, and the trip only takes 10-12 minutes. Once at the station, you can walk along the river to the lake and back in about an hour, then catch the train back to the airport. It will at least give you the flavor of the city, albeit brief. It shouldn't take you very long to get through security once back at the airport.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
1) Back when I was a SEN I used the E lounge despite my flight departing from D, mostly to see off friends departing from E. We were not connecting so couldn't claim to be using E as an arrivals lounge. This was in July.

2) If you have priority, which I'm guessing you do because you're talking about lounges, I think a quick visit to the city and walking up/down Bahnhoffstrasse are very doable. Of course, what you do on that walk might not fit in. But I've frequently done it for watch hunts on connections.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
1) Back when I was a SEN I used the E lounge despite my flight departing from D, mostly to see off friends departing from E. We were not connecting so couldn't claim to be using E as an arrivals lounge. This was in July.
As far as I know (and was told here), E lounge can be used as an arrivals lounge even if you land at A-terminal (in my case from FRA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.