FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   No more F on some LX flights (ZRH-PVG A333) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1982657-no-more-f-some-lx-flights-zrh-pvg-a333.html)

ung1 Aug 12, 2019 8:47 am

No more F on some LX flights (ZRH-PVG A333)

Just had a reservation to PVG in December get downgraded to J. Called SWISS and they told me they don't have an F cabin on this flight anymore. I see F is available one day a week on the A340 but not other days on the A330. The flight was originally supposed to be an A340, so looks like an equipment change. But I thought all A330s have an F cabin and did not know anything about LX taking away F cabin from their aircraft?

daumueller Aug 12, 2019 8:49 am

F is being used as Crew Rest on long 330 flights

Yoshi212 Aug 12, 2019 8:56 am

Is it a union requirement for use of F instead of setting aside a few J seats?'
@ung1 would they allow a switch to LH F as substitute?

ung1 Aug 12, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 31407292)
Is it a union requirement for use of F instead of setting aside a few J seats?'
@ung1 would they allow a switch to LH F as substitute?

Yes that is what was eventually done (maybe I should have asked if they could put us on SQ F hehe). Was a bit shocked getting a "schedule change" email being downgraded with no explanation, and the initial proposal when I called them was to ask for compensation... the LH option is actually OK - will end up with two nights in Shanghai instead of one on the way to Australia.

ung1 Aug 12, 2019 9:06 am

Originally Posted by daumueller (Post 31407255)
F is being used as Crew Rest on long 330 flights

I actually had no idea they were using 330s on the longer flights - is that something new? Thought they were only on US East Coast and ME/India & NBO/DAR.

NewbieRunner Aug 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 31407344)
I actually had no idea they were using 330s on the longer flights - is that something new? Thought they were only on US East Coast and ME/India & NBO/DAR.

I don‘t think they have enough 340s to serve all existing routes esp since LX288/289 spend 10+hr on the ground in JNB. An interesting explanation of how it works in this post.

ung1 Aug 13, 2019 1:15 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 31408979)
I don‘t think they have enough 340s to serve all existing routes esp since LX288/289 spend 10+hr on the ground in JNB. An interesting explanation of how it works in this post.

OK, but quite strange that this was scheduled as a 340 and they have now changed aircraft. Perhaps advance bookings were not that heavy and they realized they could accommodate pax on LH and use the aircraft elsewhere. Wonder if it is related to the refurbishment of the 340s and the schedule for that? Was expecting the 340 to PVG in Dec to have the new cabin.

Truffles Aug 13, 2019 6:33 am

We have been moved to LH from LX as well on a December trip to PVG. Our routing is now LHR-ZHR-FRA-PVG. Our return flight i first is still on LX in first.

ung1 Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Truffles (Post 31410876)
We have been moved to LH from LX as well on a December trip to PVG. Our routing is now LHR-ZHR-FRA-PVG. Our return flight i first is still on LX in first.

Did you have to or want to go via both ZRH and FRA? Anyway wouldn't be possible for us due to the limited schedule between Xmas and NY. Flight back in LX in F but that was booked from SIN so no change.

Nick Art Aug 13, 2019 8:03 am

Yeah some strange stuff is was going on with equipment schedule due to the A340 refurbishment, but the refurbishment should be done in December 2019.
From 2020 when the two new 777s have been delivered the issue of downgrading flights to PVG and JNB from an A340 to an A330 will not be a problem anymore hopefully.

Truffles Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 31410927)
Did you have to or want to go via both ZRH and FRA? Anyway wouldn't be possible for us due to the limited schedule between Xmas and NY. Flight back in LX in F but that was booked from SIN so no change.

We weren't given the option. We thought about asking for LHR-FRA direct, but then decided we'd quite like the opportunity to try the LX First class lounge in ZRH. One slightly annoying part is that the ZRH-FRA leg is in Z, so I don't get as many points as in C/D/J.

ung1 Aug 13, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Truffles (Post 31411269)
We weren't given the option. We thought about asking for LHR-FRA direct, but then decided we'd quite like the opportunity to try the LX First class lounge in ZRH. One slightly annoying part is that the ZRH-FRA leg is in Z, so I don't get as many points as in C/D/J.

Strange because your A class (if it was) should have had all the intra europe segments in J. We were downgraded to J on the long haul and after getting it switched to LH, it is now in F instead of A.

Truffles Aug 13, 2019 8:45 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 31410927)

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 31411286)
Strange because your A class (if it was) should have had all the intra europe segments in J. We were downgraded to J on the long haul and after getting it switched to LH, it is now in F instead of A.

Yes, I thought it strange. LHR-ZRH is still in J.

Fabo.sk Aug 13, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Truffles (Post 31411292)
Yes, I thought it strange. LHR-ZRH is still in J.

LHR-ZRH wasn't reticketed maybe. so it stays as it was.

demue Aug 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Truffles (Post 31410876)

In that case, did you ask about routing you LHR-FRA-PVG? Unless you want to go via ZHR this seems a bit of a time waster and a sensible agent would have offered that routing to an F pax.