EU 261 Compensation

Old Aug 11, 19, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
EU 261 Compensation

Had a flight a few days ago. Was travelling with my wife and children from NA to Europe. Wife was on a separate Booking and travelling in J while my son and I were in Y. A few hours before our flight out of NA Swiss texted us to notify us our intra-Europe flight from FRA onwards was cancelled. My wife was re-booked on an LH flight leaving over three hours after the cancelled flight. My son and I were put on a routing with two stopovers between FRA and our final destination compared to our original flight which had been direct from FRA to our end destination. I got the airline just to put all of us on the same flight as my wife.

Seems my wife is due compensation for sure. I found the initial replacement for my son and I to be unacceptable so requested a change to a later direct flight. Would my son and I be entitled to compensation as well?

My wife also had our infant daughter with her. While not a paid fare the infant had her own ticket. Would she qualify for compensation?
Old Aug 11, 19, 1:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
It would help if you were a little more specific on your routing times and operating carriers. Did you buy the ticket with LX or LH? Was the flight cancelled an LX flight or a LH flight? The flight from NA to Frankfurt surely wasn't LX, but LH.

As for now I if you're arrival has indeed been later than four hours you would be due 600 Euro per Person as your flight was longer than 1500km, that is if the airline doesn't claim the cancellation was due to unforseen circumstances. If it was less than four hours that compensation gets cut by 50%.
I'm not sure with the case of the infant.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:10 pm

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
A lot more information is required & you need to find the reason for the cancellation
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by jcamp028 View Post
Had a flight a few days ago. Was travelling with my wife and children from NA to Europe. Wife was on a separate Booking and travelling in J while my son and I were in Y. A few hours before our flight out of NA Swiss texted us to notify us our intra-Europe flight from FRA onwards was cancelled. My wife was re-booked on an LH flight leaving over three hours after the cancelled flight. My son and I were put on a routing with two stopovers between FRA and our final destination compared to our original flight which had been direct from FRA to our end destination. I got the airline just to put all of us on the same flight as my wife.

Seems my wife is due compensation for sure. I found the initial replacement for my son and I to be unacceptable so requested a change to a later direct flight. Would my son and I be entitled to compensation as well?

My wife also had our infant daughter with her. While not a paid fare the infant had her own ticket. Would she qualify for compensation?
You're very cagey about origins and destinations, and not terribly clear about which carriers were involved and the timings.

But i deduce the transatlantic flight was Lufthansa into Frankfurt with a connection on Swiss to (most likely) Geneva or Zurich.

Couple of points:
if your wife is due compensation, you are too. Potentially. Same fight, same reason for delay/cancellation. Class of travel and means of payment (cash or miles) are immaterial B U T...
..... you might have screwed things up by insisting on the direct, connection.

Timings are crucial.

Swiss is not exactly generous in interpreting its obligations under EU legislation. So good luck.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Sorry, folks. It was AC into FRA from YOW with an onward connection on LX1078. It was cancelled and we were put on LH instead.
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason for the cancellation and ensuing delay is of paramount importance. What was it?

Whether this is a Type 1 or a Type 3 flight given that the precedent on this issue is for flights outbound from the EU, remains up in the air. But that goes to the amount of compensation, not whether compensation is due.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Wasn’t provided a reason for the cancellation.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
If you can provide the date of the flight one of us might even find out the reason for the cancelation.
Can you provide the flight number of your rebooked flight or give us the exact arrival time at your destination?

Furthermore: Was it one ticket and was your ticket booked via AC, LH, LX etc. Might not be that important, but it would help clarify things.

We'd really like to help you, but for that you need to give us something to work with.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wasn’t provided a reason for the cancellation.
In the past for you now, but for the benefit of others, local staff are the best source of honest and unfiltered information. This is not a passive task about "what is provided," it is about seeking out staff and asking.
nancypants and chris63 like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Sorry, folks. It was AC into FRA from YOW with an onward connection on LX1078. It was cancelled and we were put on LH instead.
I am afraid you are out of luck. This is a flight by a non-community carrier that was flown from outside of community that was cancelled.
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
I am afraid you are out of luck. This is a flight by a non-community carrier that was flown from outside of community that was cancelled.
jcamp028 wasn't very clear in his statement. It was the LX flight FRA-ZRH that was cancelled.

But, all aside, I'd check the exact landing time in ZRH. If (just a tiny bit) less than 3hours than your scheduled arrival, you're due nothing. If between 3hrs and 4hrs, 300€ each, and if above 4hrs, 600€ each. You'll definitely have to fight for it, though.

With you stating the next flight was 3hrs later, and FRA-ZRH definitely having a lot of flights per day (so the next one hardly ever is 3+ hours away if one gets cancelled), I could imagine it was a bit less than 3hrs quite easily, and the final arrival time was below 3hrs. Which would make the whole discussion here pointless
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:08 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Btw, infants can also claim for the compensation!
Old Aug 13, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Artemio View Post
Btw, infants can also claim for the compensation!
Looks like I got the flight number for the cancelled flight wrong..my bad.. lack of sleep from travelling around Europe with two young ones for the past week.

Cancelled flight was LX1073 on Wednesday August 7th. My wife and infant daughter were booked via A3 miles and bonus in J, ticketed by Swiss. They were auto-rebooked on LH 1198 later that day in the same class. LH 1198 looks to have arrived in Zurich at 7:09 pm that evening (flight aware). LX1073 was originally due to arrive at 3:10 pm that day - so ironically enough we may be one minute short of the 4-hour mark.

The tickets for my son and I were purchased through Travelocity - they have LH flight numbers but were for AC/LX flights. A few days ago Travelocity sent me an e-mail about the cancellation indicating I was due compensation and re-directed me to a third-party website which appears to offer a service to obtain the compensation, I'm sure with a cut going to them.
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
so ironically enough we may be one minute short of the 4-hour mark.
What matters is when the doors were opened in ZRH, not when the flight touched down in ZRH.
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
A few days ago Travelocity sent me an e-mail about the cancellation indicating I was due compensation and re-directed me to a third-party website which appears to offer a service to obtain the compensation, I'm sure with a cut going to them.
Yes, there is a compensation scheme between Travelocity and the EC261/2004 collection agency.
You can start claiming without them.

Search this Thread