Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU 261 Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jcamp028
I found the initial replacement for my son and I to be unacceptable so requested a change to a later direct flight. Would my son and I be entitled to compensation as well?
The only problem I see is if the rebooking option first offered would allow you to arrive before the EC261 cutoff, then I would have to say no.

But since it is unlikely to be the case, you should have no issue.

My wife also had our infant daughter with her. While not a paid fare the infant had her own ticket. Would she qualify for compensation?
Yes.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Rules are not the same

For a delay and a cancellation.

My advice would be just fill out the Swiss air EU261 form. Google to find it. It’s easy to fill out

in my case my ZRH-BRU was cancelled and i was rebooked on the next flight and landed 1.5 hours later

the defect was mechanical

Swiss air gave 250 euros (actually sent a dollar check to my home) for each passenger.

Definitely just start with Swiss air.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Yes, they've offered 250 Euros per passenger. So 250 X 4. Confirmed that the infant ticket counts. They're sending cheques to my home address.

Should I push for more? A bit frustrating if the airline is improperly applying the regulations.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. There is no reason to use a claims agency bottom feeder.
2. With the full facts, the EUR 250 is the proper compensation (AC into the EU and LX onwards within the EU). Going the other way, it would have been EUR 600, e.g. LX within the EU and AC departing the EU.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The compensation offered is EUR 250 because LX look at their own flight/distance only. LX doesn't seem to take into account that your itinerary was Canada to ZRH rather than just FRA-ZRH. I guess it will be hard to get LX to change their mind/view so I suggest to accept the offer and move on - EUR 600 is most likely not possible to achieve.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
The compensation offered is EUR 250 because LX look at their own flight/distance only. LX doesn't seem to take into account that your itinerary was Canada to ZRH rather than just FRA-ZRH. I guess it will be hard to get LX to change their mind/view so I suggest to accept the offer and move on - EUR 600 is most likely not possible to achieve.
In effect, this would cause EUR250 to be the most LX ever has to pay out I suppose, since their long hauls wouldn't fall under the scheme, correct?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In effect, this would cause EUR250 to be the most LX ever has to pay out I suppose, since their long hauls wouldn't fall under the scheme, correct?
That is a separate issue and has nothing to do with this thread or the fact that it is "long haul".

Switzerland, although not an EU Member State has enacted EC 261/2004 into its own law. The wording is the same, but Swiss courts have not fallen for the silliness of the ECJ. Thus, Swiss law applies as to flights arriving into and departing from Switzerland and EC 261/2004 to LX flights departing the EU.

Bottom line here is that EUR 250 is the correct compensation.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.