FTL on cheap fares must sit in back?

Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by ung1
I feel I'm pouring money down the drain paying for intra-European biz
That must be exactly how my employer is feeling, reason why they are currently doing overtime in order to amend the travel SOPs

G
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Nick Art
This is only on LH, LX does not do any seat blocking for SEN/HON on their shorthaul flights.

Wouldn't the logical step down be to take Euro J of SAS? SAS Plus, considering that it's superior than LX and LH Y (although inferior to LH / LX J), but often cheaper than Y on LH and LX, this would be the logical "downgrade" for you. (I've seen Plus fares as low as 90.- oneway for ZRH-ARN for example on SAS, which tbh, can't be healthy).
Yeah, that is true and actually is why I haven't been on LH/LX in Y in a while. If I have to go to GVA for example, and it is in economy, I will fly direct to ZRH and take the train. Or find a direct flight on SK to GVA (better than flying Helvetic). However my experience with prices has been the opposite - SK Plus has been more expensive than LH business - and the only value I get out of SAS Plus is the increased miles (F&B i consume onboard is worth less than 10 EUR). At the same time the difference between economy and plus/business is quite small so I dont feel bad spending a 100 odd euros extra for the false perception of more comfort.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am definitely into flying in and out of Zürich, and taking the train to get to ZRH and from ZRH, even living in Suisse Romande.
As an FTL, I am quite happy being allocated seats down the back. There are usually free seats going down the back, so it often turns out to be less crammed than further forward. But what's with this nonsense of keeping the last row completely free for weight reasons, at least on the Bombardier CS1 I was on?? Even a monkey could tell you that is nonsense.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
That must be exactly how my employer is feeling, reason why they are currently doing overtime in order to amend the travel SOPs

G
There are still companies paying intra-EU J for rank and file?
I haven't even had J on intercontinental flights... well, it was in papers in one of the companies, but they just refused to fly anyone anywhere anyway
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:29 am

Pharma, enough said (you know where I work anyway ) It is (soon-to-be was) a perk for those like myself away on overseas assignments for at least 181 days within a calendar year. ‘Standard’, non-senior staff would still fly business but medium/long-haul only (4-hours plus).

G
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:34 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
What do you mean with soon to be was?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
What do you mean with soon to be was?
Long-story-short: we are allowed to go home on a weekly basis (or once a month, if based outside Europe) and ‘enjoy’ business class for the above stated reasons (i.e. over 181 days on overseas assignment). However, due to a recent merge with another ‘pharma giant’, a number of policies have changed, meaning that we can still go home every Thursday but are only allowed economy class. Other business-related travel remains unchanged (for the time being). I’m not going to complain nor am I surprised to be entirely honest (the new divisional MD seemed to be hostile to that particular policy from the very beginning and kept making sarcastic comments about people displaying their Gold luggage tags and indeed the number of such tags going around the office, saying that we should care more about the end-consumer i.e. people in need of medicines and changing the negative perception of the pharmaceutical industry as a whole...). Ah well, I’ll still be able to do 200+ flights a year at the company expenses anyway

G
Nick Art likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:21 pm

To be honest the price difference between Eco and Business on intra European flights is usually so small, it shouldn't have people going all crazy. A different case in other geographies like intra-Asia for example where the difference can be huge. And lots of people pay for private trips in intra European business too...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:39 pm

the price difference between Eco and Business on intra European flights is usually so small
Not really or possibly if you have the freedom of flying whenever you wish and depending also on where you actually travel to/from. In my [employer] case, a P fare MON-THU costs, on average (bear in mind that I fly back-and-forth on a weekly basis...) over 600 GBP when a ‘bare minimum’ economy class fare is much cheaper that that (we’re looking at 50%...), no wonder they ‘woke up’ and started looking into it...

G
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:26 am

Not really or possibly if you have the freedom of flying whenever you wish and depending also on where you actually travel to/from. In my [employer] case, a P fare MON-THU costs, on average (bear in mind that I fly back-and-forth on a weekly basis...) over 600 GBP when a ‘bare minimum’ economy class fare is much cheaper that that (we’re looking at 50%...), no wonder they ‘woke up’ and started looking into it...

G
Yea, I would say I am flexible and plan my meetings around when I travel rather than the other way round. For the most effective/shortest flights in economy (i.e. not a 6 AM departure or a 10 PM arrival or a 5 hour layover), I can be slightly more flexible and fly business for a little bit more. Just tried a dummy booking now for 2-3 weeks away departing on a Monday and business is in some cases 10-30 EUR more than economy. But of course YMMV.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Pharma, enough said (you know where I work anyway ) It is (soon-to-be was) a perk for those like myself away on overseas assignments for at least 181 days within a calendar year. ‘Standard’, non-senior staff would still fly business but medium/long-haul only (4-hours plus).

G
Ah, that makes a bit more sense.
I work for banks, which at first glance you would think should have money enough to spend on their staff, but then, I am in one of the very much disliked cost centers instead of saving the bank money, let alone making money. Oh well.

To be honest the price difference between Eco and Business on intra European flights is usually so small, it shouldn't have people going all crazy. A different case in other geographies like intra-Asia for example where the difference can be huge. And lots of people pay for private trips in intra European business too...
Indeed, on some city pairs it makes full sense and I've occasionally self-upgraded myself on private trips as well.

Don't think flying to Sarajevo would be on the list though...
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Don't think flying to Sarajevo would be on the list though
It’s virtually a LH/OS ‘monopoly’ route (unless you fancy a detour via Istanbul, a night in Belgrade or rely on Adria/Croatia...), no Sky Team nor oneworld presence (and I doubt it will change any time soon). I’m happy as things stand to be honest and I’m not referring to the fact that my employer pays for the tickets but to the ‘ease of travel’ via either Munich or Vienna (with ‘emphasis’ on the former). Doing exactly the same back-and-forth on a weekly basis via most other hubs (e.g. Paris/Frankfurt) would probably cause me a headache...

G
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I see I have been shoved right to the back, row 29, for tomorrow's flight from DUS to ZRH. That's fine, because I quite like it there. I was given a middle seat in an empty row, so I moved myself to the window. What's this thing about keeping the last row (30) completely empty? On the ZRH-GVA flight I was able to select 5D, which is good because I need to exit the aircraft as quickly as possible and be on my way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.