Checked Baggage on Swiss for *G with UA Gold

Old Jul 5, 19, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Checked Baggage on Swiss for *G with UA Gold

I tried to search but could not find answer. Please direct me to the link if this has been discussed before.

Flying in Coach on a ticket bought from United:
SFO-TLV with United
TLV-ZRH with Swiss (stay in ZRH for a few days)
ZRH-SFO with United
I have Star Alliance Gold and United Gold
Ticket is paid for (not miles) and booking class for Swiss (according to ua.com is L)

Question:
How much luggage I am entitled check on Swiss?
Swiss website says none and I need to pay for a bag 23 or 32 lbs (different prices)
UA website says I get one 50 lb free bag
Called Swiss and was told (upon giving my booking number) that I am entitled to one 50 lb and one 70 lb bag. I asked her to send me a link or to send me a confirmation of this and she says she cannot and that this is what it shows.

Needless to say, not sure who to trust
Any personal experience with a middle segment in Swiss bought with United reservation?

Last edited by keisari; Jul 5, 19 at 7:52 pm Reason: minor grammar changes
Old Jul 5, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
I tried to search but could not find answer. Please direct me to the link if this has been discussed before.

SFO-TLV with United
ZRH-SFO with United
Ticket is paid for (not miles) and booking class for Swiss (according to ua.com is L)

Question:
Swiss website says none and I need to pay for a bag 23 or 32 lbs (different prices)
UA website says I get one 50 lb free bag
Called Swiss and was told (upon giving my booking number) that I am entitled to one 50 lb and one 70 lb bag. I asked her to send me a link or to send me a confirmation of this and she says she cannot and that this is what it shows.

Needless to say, not sure who to trust
Any personal experience with a middle segment in Swiss bought with United reservation?
You get two bags. The LX website is all over the place for this, I've had the same issue before.

Source: Flown LX Y on a UA ticket as *G by UA Gold multiple times.

(I THINK it's one 50 and one 70, but I can't speak for the actual weights. I only know it's two bags for sure)
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:42 am

Programs: A3 Gold
SFO-TLV with United
ZRH-SFO with United

Question:
No personal experience on this particular scenario, but in general the Most Significant Carrier rule applies. Since the journey starts in the US, the marketing carrier of the first flight (UA) determines the baggage allowance for the whole itinerary. UA may here decide to apply either their own rules, or those of the actual MSC carrier (for each part of the journey separately). In the case of UA's rules, according to the UA calculator, a UA Premier Gold should get 3x 70 lb bags free of charge. A regular *G only gets 2 bags of 50 lb each. If UA decides to use the MSC's rules, then LX's rules would apply for the LX segment, in which case a *G gets 2x 23kg (50lb) bags for free.

I don't know whether UA in this case uses their own baggage rules, or those of the MSC.

To be on the safe side, try to get your luggage to fit into 2x50lb. If you need more, check with UA and get a printout of the rules to show the LX check in agent. If they (incorrectly) try to charge you, make sure you get a receipt, and try to get your costs reimbursed afterwards.
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
should be 2x50 lbs for TLV-ZRH. UA should give the full UA*G on their own metal and ticket, everything else would be very strange ... so that should be 70 lbs.
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clifford79 View Post
To be on the safe side, try to get your luggage to fit into 2x50lb. If you need more, check with UA and get a printout of the rules to show the LX check in agent. If they (incorrectly) try to charge you, make sure you get a receipt, and try to get your costs reimbursed afterwards.
Thank you for the advice of saving the receipt in case I have to pay.
I don't know about LX but in TLV many of the check in agents are contracted so sometimes they are not up to date on all the nuances of alliances.
I thought the Most significant carrier rule applies only if there is "direct flight"; in this case I am flying TLV-ZRH and then stop for 5 days and only then resume my flight to SFO with UA.
I will report back my specific experience in TLV but it is reassuring that everybody agrees I should have at least 2x50lbs.
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
But the booking class (L) doesn't tell you the fare family.
If this has been booked into the basic fare family, a UA*G gets zero free bags on LX.
findark likes this.
Old Jul 13, 19, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
But the booking class (L) doesn't tell you the fare family.
If this has been booked into the basic fare family, a UA*G gets zero free bags on LX.
that is exactly what concerns me. And the CSR on the phone was not very reassuring
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
You can only buy Light tickets directly through LX and LH (and some OTAs) I thought? (LX, LH ticket stock), so if you bought your ticket via UA you should be fine and the usual LX or UA bag rules should count (although LX bag rules will probably be enforced.).

I just noticed: On the TLV route on LX there are no light or basic tickets available. You can't even buy fares without luggage on TLV-ZRH, the cheapest option, which is Saver, comes with a checked bag and the usual *G benefits. Light fares are only available on European flights and flights to North America. So I guess your problem is solved. You will get two bags and *G benefits.

What does the reservation say regarding bags if you enter it on Swiss.com?

Last edited by Nick Art; Jul 19, 19 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 19, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
So I guess your problem is solved. You will get two bags and *G benefits.
This is very helpful. I do not know enough about LX or LH operations to figure this out. You don't know what you don't know.
Thank you.
Now if only LX will allow me to get a seat assigned and pay extra for an exit row or something with a little bit more legroom.
I was told only at check in.
Old Jul 21, 19, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is very helpful. I do not know enough about LX or LH operations to figure this out. You don't know what you don't know.
Thank you.
Now if only LX will allow me to get a seat assigned and pay extra for an exit row or something with a little bit more legroom.
I was told only at check in.
Ive done this many times except out of EWR, LX allows as been said 2 x 50 for the bags, and you should beable to pay anytime to chose your seat its free when you checkin either at the counter or online, but by then the exit and bulkheads should be long gone. If you dont get either I hope you arent tall! the pitch is LOUSY, hopefully you could grab an aisle seat and lift the arm rest after the meal service and that should help a great deal

At the checkin counter go to the Biz line also when you get to the 1st security check before the counter just tell them you in Biz and you get put onto the faster line
Old Aug 2, 19, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Craz
I was able to pay extra to get better seats with more space
Not cheap (or maybe I am not used to pay extra on United so I am a little spoiled)
Thank you

Search this Thread