FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   What happens to my bags if I miss second separate ticket flight on LX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1976033-what-happens-my-bags-if-i-miss-second-separate-ticket-flight-lx.html)

fatlasercat Jun 28, 2019 4:41 pm

What happens to my bags if I miss second separate ticket flight on LX

I am traveling USA-ZRH-EU on two separate tickets (first is revenue on UA, second is UA award on LX). My understanding is that they should be able to check the bag through. But the "connection" is not the longest (just below 2hrs) and this flight is often delayed by about an hour. Since it's a cheap (8k) award ticket I am not worried about losing the value and there always seems to availability for a flight 5hrs later. But what happens to my bag in this case, when I don't make it for the original second flight? Does LX do positive bag matching within Europe, is it possible my bag makes it without me? If I miss the flight and book a new ticket should I attempt to pick up and recheck the bag at ZRH or try to work it out with them so that they somehow relabel the bag in the background? The former seems safer...

Has anyone ever been in such situation (i.e. missing a second flight on two separate tickets with a bag checked through)?

WineCountryUA Jun 28, 2019 4:51 pm

As this question is about LX, have moved it to the LX forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

chris63 Jun 29, 2019 12:18 am

LX should check your bag through to your second flight on a separate ticket but if you miss the connection your bag will remain in ZRH & you would need to re check it to another flight.

ZRH is one of Europe’s easiest airports to transit so you ought to be ok.

SK AAR Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Most likely LX will check your bag to final destination and secondly most likely you will be able to make it to the second flight, even if incoming flight is delayed. There is nothing to worry about. If you misconnect at ZRH you need to collect your bag (it will not be loaded on the flight unless you make it to the flight) at the luggage belts and proceed to re-check-in with LX at departure level.

PAX_fips Jun 30, 2019 11:35 pm

Just had several connections in ZRH.. even if it's down to "only" one hour, it's not likely you'll miss the connection.

fassy Jul 1, 2019 4:08 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips (Post 31256876)
Just had several connections in ZRH.. even if it's down to "only" one hour, it's not likely you'll miss the connection.

Mostly depends on the lines at immigration. Never had a bad experience in ZRH before, but on my last trip to SFO I spend nearly 1,5 hours in line to board the Heidi-train. Wasn't too worried as I had enough time but a lot of people on tight connections were super-stressed. The line backed up all the way up the stairs into the main terminal area.

But I agree, that is not the normal thing to happen. Usually ZRH is quite efficient and US-Schengen connections can be easily made with 45 minutes after doors open of the US flight.

ced_lx Jul 2, 2019 2:20 pm

Just make sure you let the agent know at check-in so they check your luggage to final destination.

fatlasercat Jul 2, 2019 3:56 pm

Bag checked through successfully at origin. But I didn't expect what was coming next: sitting in the lounge I got an email that my flight departing ZRH is cancelled. They autorebooked me throught Stuttgart on Eurowings on a 40-min connection, so just cancelled and rebooked on the next direct flight to my destination (still on LX). But what will happen to my bags? They are currently tagged for the cancelled flight. And I have a ticket for the next direct, but completely new booking. Who should I talk to? Connection desk? Go to baggage claim? I'd prefer to stay airside. Landing in ZRH in about 10hrs, thanks for the tips in advance.

PAX_fips Jul 3, 2019 12:19 am

This will be a mess :) Curious how rebooking is possible after starting/boarding the trip anyway.

I'd look at the arriving gate, if LX personal is around. Next stop transfer/connection desk.. since you really need to have an "intervention" as early as possible or the bags are "gone" on EW.

Good luck!

fatlasercat Jul 3, 2019 1:20 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips (Post 31264334)
This will be a mess :) Curious how rebooking is possible after starting/boarding the trip anyway.

I'd look at the arriving gate, if LX personal is around. Next stop transfer/connection desk.. since you really need to have an "intervention" as early as possible or the bags are "gone" on EW.

Good luck!

Landing soon, so will see. My incoming flight is UA (with working wifi:)) and the LX flight was on a different ticket. So I don't think they would reroute the bags through Stuttgart as the bags were never attached to the booking that I cancelled (only to the flight number).

YuropFlyer Jul 3, 2019 2:10 am

Most probably they'll put your bag aside and manually check the state. I'd not worry much. Your new flight Ex-ZRH is still linked to the old, cancelled one, as much as I can understand, so the system probably auto-changes it.

You probably just landed now, when is your new (direct) flight? If you'd like to chill out in ZRH a bit, I'm off this afternoon and could offer you a personal tour of Zürich :)

fatlasercat Jul 3, 2019 3:46 am

Went to transfer desk, they called the baggage department and they said it's going to be ok, they'll just put in on the next flight. I am not sure I have a lot of confidence that they will, but let's see. Now off the city since we have 7 hours....

fatlasercat Jul 3, 2019 6:52 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 31264534)

You probably just landed now, when is your new (direct) flight? If you'd like to chill out in ZRH a bit, I'm off this afternoon and could offer you a personal tour of Zürich :)

Thanks a lot, but just saw this now. We had a nice lunch and just about to head back to the airport.

chris63 Jul 3, 2019 10:11 am

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 31264677)
Went to transfer desk, they called the baggage department and they said it's going to be ok, they'll just put in on the next flight. I am not sure I have a lot of confidence that they will, but let's see. Now off the city since we have 7 hours....

Should work fine, the system will tell them your on the next direct flight.

fatlasercat Jul 3, 2019 1:06 pm

Bags arrived with us to final destination, happy ending!