What to expect in Y long haul

Old Jun 20, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
What to expect in Y long haul

Hi all!

I found an amazing mileage run deal that includes LX long haul in Y. I know LX C is supposed to amazing. What can I expect in Y?

Thank you!
Old Jun 20, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBD (*G), BA Bronze, KLM Gold, Emirates Silver
Expect nothing but pain!
Old Jun 21, 19, 12:51 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Particularly on the T7s long haul in Y qualifies as torture.
Old Jun 21, 19, 1:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Y on LX is no different from Y on any other major airline.

What matters in Y is the choice of aircraft, not the choice of airline. Avoid 10-across 777s and any 787. Anything else is not bad.
Old Jun 21, 19, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
give em a try and let us know - basically not better/worse than the competition - often the crew makes the difference in the end
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:37 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (former US CP), HHonors Gold
Service is definitely better than the US3.

I have only flown LX longhaul on US-ZRH routes so I can't speak for routes to other destinations.

On US-ZRH flights dinner is served after take off with 2 hot entrees, a small and very sad side salad, bread roll with cheese, and dessert. The pre-arrival breakfast offering is the same for all North American flights IIRC: warmed bread roll with yogurt and orange juice. This is where I believe Swiss could improve on: BA/UA/LH all serve a full hot breakfast on their West Coast-Europe flights.

On ZRH-US flights, lunch after take off. I find the catering to be better on departures from ZRH, and I truly enjoy the Hitl vegetarian meals. There is usually a substantial snack bar set up in the galley, and on West Coast flights there is usually a selection of small rolls (similar to the LX EU catering) and fruit on offer. Flights to LAX/SFO will feature a mid-flight sandwich service. Upon arrival, the offering is usually a hot quiche with ice cream. Again, BA/UA/LH serve a full meal prior to arrival on their EU-West Coast flights.

Search this Thread