FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Separate ticket baggage policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1973940-separate-ticket-baggage-policy.html)

bluepig1 Jun 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Separate ticket baggage policy?

I'm United Global Services and *G.

I am flying GVA-MUC-ORD next month. My itinerary would be two SEPARATELY purchased (cash) tickets: GVA-MUC on LX Economy Light, then a United Polaris ticket for MUC-ORD (I purchased 1 ticket, work purchased the other). I can have UA link the itineraries - will that make a difference if LX is the first carrier in terms of baggage fees or being able to check my bag all the way through to ORD? I'll have a personal item and a 21" carry on.

If I understand, my *G benefits aren't applicable (Economy Light appears to be the only option - I can't figure out how to purchase a Classic fare on swiss.com) with this Fare Class. Would I have to pay the checked bag fee in GVA at the LX counter (or at OLCI), and then pick up and recheck my bag (or carry it on) in MUC for the MUC-ORD leg?

Thai-Kiwi Jun 14, 2019 11:27 pm

With separate tickets, you carry the risks and potential costs of any misconnection at MUC. LX are under no obligation to chekc through your bag, irrespective whether you buy a light fare and then a bag, or buy a classic fare. The LX agent ‘may’ however check you through - but dont be surprised if declined. THAI are very good in such circumstances, Air Nz simply wont check through bags for separate tix, even NZ-NZ. I dont know how LX will treat this.

Likewise, UA really considers you are originating from MUC, and your prior flight is not a factor in their considerations if you show late or miss the flight. UA staff can make a note in the PNR record about the prior flight, but cannot meaningfully link or combine the bookings. A note in the UA PNR adds little value IMHO.

Your *G benefits will still apply if buying the LX lite fare (lounge access etc), but less the additional checked bag.

FWIW I recently purchased some LX fares and had no problems picking through the lite/classic/biz options.

chris63 Jun 15, 2019 8:37 am

It’s very easy to book a classic fare on LX.com. You could try LH.com if that makes it easier for you.

No problem checking bags through on separate tickets but light fares should mean you will be charged at GVA for GVA- MUC.

Linking the PNR’s won’t help with the bag fees.

Often1 Jun 15, 2019 10:16 am

1. LX will check your bag through, but will collect the fee for GVA-MUC.
2. There is no such thing as "linking". All carriers do is put a note in the two records, but it is to make you feel good and does nothing.
3. Remember that if you no show for your MUC-ORD departure, your ticket will be cancelled and will retain whatever value it retains under its fare rules. You may well be required to purchase a new ticket at walk-up prices.

For this reason, I generally suggest allowing 2-3 what the MCT would be for a connection.

bluepig1 Jun 16, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks all. We are well over MCT - we have 3 hours and 50 minutes in MUC. I figured out I needed to book the Classic fare through lufthansa.com instead of swissair.com, but after seeing the fare difference, I ended up just booking using miles (which I think ended up booking me into a Classic fare). I will cross my fingers for no significant IRROPS that day, and otherwise hope that the United Global Services agents will take care of us in MUC trying to catch a tight connection or rebooking if for some reason we come close to missing our connection.

chris63 Jun 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by bluepig1 (Post 31209661)
Thanks all. We are well over MCT - we have 3 hours and 50 minutes in MUC. I figured out I needed to book the Classic fare through lufthansa.com instead of swissair.com, but after seeing the fare difference, I ended up just booking using miles (which I think ended up booking me into a Classic fare). I will cross my fingers for no significant IRROPS that day, and otherwise hope that the United Global Services agents will take care of us in MUC trying to catch a tight connection or rebooking if for some reason we come close to missing our connection.

Yes, that’s lots of time for separate ticket connection, you would be extremely unlucky to miss that !

All mileage tickets have bags included

Nick Art Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by bluepig1 (Post 31209661)
I figured out I needed to book the Classic fare through lufthansa.com instead of swissair.com, but after seeing the fare difference, I ended up just booking using miles (which I think ended up booking me into a Classic fare). I will cross my fingers for no significant IRROPS that day, and otherwise hope that the United Global Services agents will take care of us in MUC trying to catch a tight connection or rebooking if for some reason we come close to missing our connection.

If you‘re searching for the ticket on swissair.com I think that might explain why you can't buy it.