Wiki Posts
Search

LX Flight Cancelled Days in Advance [due to AOG of HB-JND]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Apparently one 77W is still out of service. It as affecting a lot of B77W flights - take a look at LX92 ZRH-GRU!

No phone agent will rebook you with other airlines such as EK or AY - phone agents have no authority to do that. If you want to fly EK or AY you show up at BKK on 16 June and ask to be rebooked - airport agents have much more leeway to rebook with other carriers. Star Alliance flights should be ok although the agents will try and prefer to rebook you within LH group. There should be plenty of flights to Europe leaving around midnight on 15 June/early morning on 16 June. If you can get J seats on the direct TG service on 16 June I think you should take that. Why is it so inconvenient to you to depart 1 AM on 16 June rather 1PM 16 June? It saves a hotel night in BKK in my view.

I don't see how paying change fee twice has anything to do with your complaint that LX181 is cancelled.

Stop the rant and work with the agents to find a solution that will work for you. Yes, you may not get a direct flight to ZRH in the early afternoon on 16 June, but there should be plenty of options available, even in J and for 2 seats. BKK is not the worst place when in need to be rebooked to Europe.

You should be able to claim EUR 600 compensation per person for the cancellation of LX181 according to EU Reg. 261/04. You write to LX customer care once you get to Switzerland (this is not resolved at BKK airport)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
As already stated you should qualify for EC261/2004 compensation.

If you prefer to depart early afternoon on 16th there is plenty of availability on TG922 which leaves at 12:25pm for FRA, with a 1h50m connection to ZRH arriving at 9:45pm.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Thanks all for the advice, very useful. I had no idea about EC261/2004 so it's great to be educated. I will send brief feedback after I arrive in ZRH. They should definitely have informed me of the change at the very least.

Leaving afternoon on June 16 worked better for personal schedule reasons and in addition my hotel is prepaid so I have nothing to save by leaving early unless the hotel is flexible, and my purpose was not to leave early anyway.

I see TG922 is available, I don't know why it is not showing up in Google Flights and the LX agents I spoke too did not seem to be aware of this option either because none of them mentioned it when I asked about departure in the afternoon. It's great that @NewbieRunner brought it up.

I don't see how paying change fee twice has anything to do with your complaint that LX181 is cancelled.
Well, it's only indirectly related I guess but probably nothing that can be done about it. To use a different example, let's say I had the choice of 3k EUR for a flight June 15 or June 17, or 4k EUR for a flight June 16. Then if I decide to pay 1k EUR extra for the flight June 16 because it fits better, and they subsequently cancel it and move me to June 15 or 17 which I did not want to begin with - I cannot say that I would be ecstatic about the situation. It would be frustrating that I paid more just to get the date I want, only to end up with the dates I don't want and I paid extra which all went to waste. This is not the exact situation that happened but the concept is not entirely different.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks all for the advice, very useful. I had no idea about EC261/2004 so it's great to be educated. I will send brief feedback after I arrive in ZRH. They should definitely have informed me of the change at the very least.

Leaving afternoon on June 16 worked better for personal schedule reasons and in addition my hotel is prepaid so I have nothing to save by leaving early unless the hotel is flexible, and my purpose was not to leave early anyway.

I see TG922 is available, I don't know why it is not showing up in Google Flights and the LX agents I spoke too did not seem to be aware of this option either because none of them mentioned it when I asked about departure in the afternoon.
I’m glad I could help. Although it is intended for those who fly on BA I find the following thread in the BA forum useful for understanding regulation EC261/2004: The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Opting for TG922/LX1077 might only give you a reduced compensation as you will see in post 1 paragraph 11.2 of the BA thread.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
LX handling of irrops is not great IME & their shortage of aircraft means one down & all hell breaks loose
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:01 am

For those who start reading now and feel confused: two threads have been merged and the subject line about GRU and HB-JND does not apply to the latest posts about a similar situation at BKK.

​​​​​​Dear mods, perhaps titles should be updated and made more general when threads are merged?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

but new subject line makes my initial post completely nonsense - "I believe the headline says it all" Not anymore! haha - but OK. I guess it is well understood that my initial inquiry was about the earlier cancellations of LX92/LX93.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Opting for TG922/LX1077 might only give you a reduced compensation as you will see in post 1 paragraph 11.2 of the BA thread.
This is spot on. If you go for TG922 on 16 June via FRA the compensation will be reduced by 50% (and in fact is very close to being completely eliminated but the arrival time at ZRH still exceeds the original arrival time of LX181 by more than 2 hours so 50% comp. is still due - had it been less than 2 hours at ZRH no comp. were due when rebooking you to TG922 via FRA.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by mmff
For those who start reading now and feel confused: two threads have been merged and the subject line about GRU and HB-JND does not apply to the latest posts about a similar situation at BKK.

​​​​​​Dear mods, perhaps titles should be updated and made more general when threads are merged?
HB-JND is still out of action, which is now impacting the schedules beyond GRU.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
The issue in HB-JND appears to be serious that it takes so long to repair.
Last flight I found, it seems to have arrived in ZRH on June 1.

I hope that it hasn‘t caught a cold in Iqualuit.
If that waste tank drain leak was not discovered since then, there could be a big mess.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
...and HB-JMI [A340) stuck in JNB since last Wednesday does not help the stability of the operations much either.

Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
...and HB-JMI [A340) stuck in JNB since last Wednesday does not help the stability of the operations much either.

Really won’t ! LX simply do not have spare aircraft lying around.... which makes me wonder why LH sent so many A340 to the desert....
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This is spot on. If you go for TG922 on 16 June via FRA the compensation will be reduced by 50% (and in fact is very close to being completely eliminated but the arrival time at ZRH still exceeds the original arrival time of LX181 by more than 2 hours so 50% comp. is still due - had it been less than 2 hours at ZRH no comp. were due when rebooking you to TG922 via FRA.
Thank you, ended up flying TG970 at 1am rather than the more convenient schedule (for my purposes) of the afternoon departure. I decided it was better to have an inconvenient schedule in exchange for avoiding the flight transfer in FRA and maximizing compensation. Great advice from fellow FTers as usual ^
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
Not the best timing, the fleet is one aircraft down anyhow since the A340's are in the process to receive the cabin overhaul (currently HB-JMC is in DRS) then you had the B77W go down, and the B77W fleet operations do not allow any planes to be down for most days of the weeks since the 10 frames are fully utilized. In addition you have a additional A340 that went tech in JNB last week... Murphys law.

This shows again how overated Boeing aircraft are, let's hope as of 2025 we will see only new A350's arrive all the way till 2035+- after which the long haul fleet of LX will be again all Airbus
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by LXA350
Not the best timing, the fleet is one aircraft down anyhow since the A340's are in the process to receive the cabin overhaul (currently HB-JMC is in DRS) then you had the B77W go down, and the B77W fleet operations do not allow any planes to be down for most days of the weeks since the 10 frames are fully utilized. In addition you have a additional A340 that went tech in JNB last week... Murphys law.

This shows again how overated Boeing aircraft are, let's hope as of 2025 we will see only new A350's arrive all the way till 2035+- after which the long haul fleet of LX will be again all Airbus
Maybe it’s something to do with your username, but if one B77W frame and one A343 are out tech right now, why is Boeing overrated and Airbus not?
chris63, mmff, purch and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.