Community
Wiki Posts
Search

articles fm Business Traveler & Blick: Does Swiss catering still feature 'Swissness'?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

articles fm Business Traveler & Blick: Does Swiss catering still feature 'Swissness'?

Just landed in my in-box:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ure-swissness/

https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft...d15342657.html

I guess this is a sad reality in the 'race to the bottom'

On a slightly similar topic, these weeks' First Class caviar tasting includes one caviar from Switzerland, one from France and one from ... China.

Old May 30, 2019, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I've had some pretty disgusting food on short haul business recently.

Most recently on a dinner time service from ZRH-LHR as a VGML I was served a plate of red coloured, tasteless couscous topped with a parsley leaf. On the side were two thin slices of tasteless cheese and half a cherry tomato.

It all went straight back.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I've had some pretty disgusting food on short haul business recently
Same here: I recently had a VLML on the morning service to Sarajevo and it went straight back (ditto with the 'standard' meal on the Zurich flight from Sarajevo). The purser didn't say a word, she served the other row and shortly after came back asking what had happened and if I wanted a sandwich (thanks, but no thanks - nice gesture, though). Not that I have particularly high expectations [nor do I care about] food on such short flights but Austrian & LOT are by far my preferred choice when it comes to that (I hear that Aegean are also pretty good so I may give them a try now that they've launched SJJ).

G
lhrpete and chris63 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Swiss intra-European catering is probably about the poorest of the full service offerings at present. They really need to pull their socks up. No wonder the business cabins are so small and far from full.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Swiss intra-European catering is probably about the poorest of the full service offerings at present. They really need to pull their socks up. No wonder the business cabins are so small and far from full.
You haven’t tried MAN-MUC-MAN flights on LH then... but yes LX Intra EU seem to be part of the race to the bottom
hugolover and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by chris63

You haven’t tried MAN-MUC-MAN flights on LH then... but yes LX Intra EU seem to be part of the race to the bottom
On my last flight from MUC (10:50 departure to SJJ) I got (literally) 2 slices of ham, 2 tiny slices of melon and a few salad leaves (the quality was ghastly to say the least). The only decent bit was the warm bread roll and that says it all.

G
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

On my last flight from MUC (10:50 departure to SJJ) I got (literally) 2 slices of ham, 2 tiny slices of melon and a few salad leaves (the quality was ghastly to say the least). The only decent bit was the warm bread roll and that says it all.

G
They are not just picking on MAN then & that would be particularly cruel considering how dire the lounge is...

Agree about the bread, even LH catering cannot screw that up
hugolover and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
They are not just picking on MAN then & that would be particularly cruel considering how dire the lounge is...

Agree about the bread, even LH catering cannot screw that up
Unfortunately, it is indeed not just MAN. And making up for it with drinks is not an option either, at least not on LH.

If they just look long and hard enough, they will eventually find someone to screw up the bread.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I just never eat shorthaul airplane food. Eat in the lounge?
Old May 31, 2019, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Eat in the lounge?
That would be my standard modus operandi but not always possible I'm afraid and for a number of reasons: my weekly air travel is strictly business related and, not working as a consultant or in a high-up-the-chain's role where (in normal circumstances) there's that degree of flexibility, I'm not always able to leave the office/manufacturing site (especially the latter and if there have been issues) and head to the airport 2 hours before my flight, not to mention that the airport I travel from on a weekly basis has virtually no catering at all (pre-packed cheese sandwiches but they're normally gone by the time I get there, which is normally when the Doha flight starts boarding, roughly half-an-hour before my 'usual' Lufthansa service to Munich ) and other frequently visited airports (e.g. Berlin, Graz, Birmingham just to mention a few from the last couple of weeks) follow (more-or-less) the same pattern (if not even worse) All valid reasons, I guess, to be slightly happier when booked on either Austrian or LOT

G
chris63, hugolover and Dover2Golf like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Then pack some food? Or buy food? I don't know... I've always had time to get even a small, but decent bite, in a pinch. Presumably for shorthaul the flight time is 1-2 hours, so you can just hold off until you land. If there's a will to avoid airplane food, there's a way.

I've even had the FAs tell me after we land and I'm waiting to disembark that I made a good decision not to eat the food. Some of them say they wouldn't touch it.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:51 am

so you can just hold off until you land
Absolutely - and thank goodness I'm not a big eater anyway (which is somewhat odd for a long distance runner ) so not really a big deal.

Some of them say they wouldn't touch it.
I often get the same comment about the standard meals whenever I get served the special meal (for which I normally go anyway).

G
Old May 31, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I just never eat shorthaul airplane food. Eat in the lounge?
Unfortunately, the food at many non-hub LH lounges has gotten so bad that you are faced with a dilemma: eat the warm crap at the lounge or the cold crap on the plane.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
you are faced with a dilemma: eat the warm crap at the lounge or the cold crap on the plane.
[OT] I wish there was a warm option in some of those lounges: Graz only had bread when I visited last time, plenty of scones in Birmingham and a family pack of roasted peanuts this past Tuesday at Sarajevo - spoilt for choice without a doubt Adding to misery, the Senator lounge in Munich (H) was packed to the brim however, on a slightly bright[er] note, I went to the other side (i.e. Business Lounge, fairly empty) and managed to get a nice(ish) feta/walnut/lentil/couscous salad together with the usual Franziskaner [/OT]

G
worldclubber likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Unfortunately, the food at many non-hub LH lounges has gotten so bad that you are faced with a dilemma: eat the warm crap at the lounge or the cold crap on the plane.
Yes & this is what a 5* airline provides for its business passengers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.