Community
Wiki Posts
Search

articles fm Business Traveler & Blick: Does Swiss catering still feature 'Swissness'?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
[OT] I wish there was a warm option in some of those lounges: Graz only had bread when I visited last time, plenty of scones in Birmingham and a family pack of roasted peanuts this past Tuesday at Sarajevo - spoilt for choice without a doubt Adding to misery, the Senator lounge in Munich (H) was packed to the brim however, on a slightly bright[er] note, I went to the other side (i.e. Business Lounge, fairly empty) and managed to get a nice(ish) feta/walnut/lentil/couscous salad together with the usual Franziskaner [/OT]
G
I can usually find something at the hub lounges (FRA, MUC, ZRH), although the quality has also gone down there, but the non-hub stations are just abominable.

Last week at NUE -- which used to consistently have Nuernberg sausages (which the city is famous for, but which are also very cheap), sauerkraut, some side like mashed potatoes and a vegetarian offering such as "Schupfnudeln" until last November -- had one hot food offering: dry pasta that had been sitting in the pot for way too long plus tomato sauce from a jar. AKA crap in fancy pots:

Thank you LH!
Old May 31, 2019, 12:58 pm

Blimey, I would probably eat a brick if forced but definitely not that pasta (not that I’m a big fan of pasta anyway but...). Cost cutting comes to mind and it really makes you wonder whether more airlines will eventually align to the ‘restaurant concept ŕ la KLM’ i.e. offering paid options/sections within the lounge, with the rest basically confined to ‘cat food’. Here is hope that LH & Co. will not follow that pitiful pattern. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy a Hofmeister Helles ([OT] Never tried one before but the shop I popped in to earlier on seemed to have a decent selection of German beers [/OT]) here in Sarajevo after a hard week at work (cheers)

G
lhrpete and worldclubber like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I don't think there's room for any of the LH Group airlines to reduce their business class offering further if they want to keep it alive, it's on life support as it is.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:35 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
In my experience in contrary to the others here I really like the Business Class food, especially on ZRH-GVA or ZRH-MUC on LX. Much better than on LH.
But then again, on MUC-AGP and ZRH-AGP I also had amazing food: duck with black rice and a nice couscous with chicken, but on my recent MUC-RAK the food was meh at best. Seems to depend.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Seriously, ZRH to GVA? Last time I did that flight in Business, they served Business passengers tiny portions of something (I can't remember what) and then saw them snatching it away again before some pax had even started to eat, so short was the flight. I have to say, I don't even look for Business bargains during booking any more, because I don't even book SWISS any more. So I don't know if the extremely cheap upgrades are still being offered or even purchased. Reckon they're not worth much more than 10 or 15 francs, and that's probably being generous.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I am serious. And don‘t call me Shirley. The portions are small yes, but usually there are so many loaded that you can easily ask for a second one.
Last time I had a small tomato Mozzarella salad, a tasty chicken curry and a mousse au chocolat. All of which were exceptionally tasty.
I don't care how much the food costs: It‘s tasty and that‘s all that matters to me, especially considering that the „normal“ big meals are often much more disappointing.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: LX SEN
All is a matter of taste, but, usually, from the 3 tiny dishes that LX serves on shorthaul C, I can eat 1, the 2 others being terrible. Presentation is nice, though.

On LX longhaul, my view is that the food is terrible as well. It looks nice, because it comes in 3 courses on white china, but it is not worth more than the poorest food that one can get in the poorest motorway restaurants, except for the mövenpick ice-cream that comes mid-flight which is fine, because it comes straight out of the container, untouched by the caterers.

In the LX SEN lounges, food is not better than on board, if not worse. I was yesterday in ZRH SEN A. There were disgusting fried fish nuggets, overcooked pasta dumped in cream (claimed to be carbonara) and some rice. If that food was for sale, noboby would have bought it, exept maybe at the top of a mountain in a blizzard with no other supply in a 100km radius.

LH MUC SEN lounges are far better. I have been stuck in one of these for a few hours due to a missed connection and found the food and coffee prepared by a waiter to be pleasant.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
First world problems. Just spent a few hours in a United Club (and past week in an Admirals Club). Whole new dimension of the term "crap".
MichielR likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
First world problems. Just spent a few hours in a United Club (and past week in an Admirals Club). Whole new dimension of the term "crap".
Sure but where are LX promising us just a little better than AA or UA crap ?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by LukasNied

I guess this is a sad reality in the 'race to the bottom'

On a slightly similar topic, these weeks' First Class caviar tasting includes one caviar from Switzerland, one from France and one from ... China.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...russia-anymore
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by chris63

Sure but where are LX promising us just a little better than AA or UA crap ?
That is a very low bar...It doesn’t take much to beat free peanuts and paid piss beer.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Nic33
In the LX SEN lounges, food is not better than on board, if not worse. I was yesterday in ZRH SEN A. There were disgusting fried fish nuggets, overcooked pasta dumped in cream (claimed to be carbonara) and some rice. If that food was for sale, noboby would have bought it, exept maybe at the top of a mountain in a blizzard with no other supply in a 100km radius.
Food at the ZRH SEN lounges was pretty good after the E lounge opened and then cuts were implemented, when they realized that "Swissness" is expensive.

I loved the grilled to order fish and meat they had in the first year. Now it is more like reheated soup/stew from a can, cheap pasta, deep fried previously frozen convenience crap such as fish/chicken nuggets etc. -- no Swissness whatsoever and just plain disappointing.

For a while, I would always use LX via ZRH when I had a choice and the connection was not much more inconvenient than on LH. That is over.
hugolover and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:57 pm

LH has been serving Chinese caviar for quite a while.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by MichielR

That is a very low bar...It doesn’t take much to beat free peanuts and paid piss beer.
Exactly & shame on LX for even peering under that bar
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
Exactly & shame on LX for even peering under that bar
Who would have even thought that is possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.