ZRH-TLV: Pay to Upgrade or Wait for HON?

Old May 17, 19, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON
ZRH-TLV: Pay to Upgrade or Wait for HON?

Hi All--

My partner and I are scheduled to fly in J from ZRH-TLV round trip in the last week of August.

I understand that if LX uses the A333 or 77W, I can pay CHF250 per person per leg to sit in the F cabin.

I also understand that if you're HON, such "upgrades" are free.

I will likely make HON in the middle of July.

Should I pay now to lock the seat down or just wait until the middle of July to do it for free? Worried about losing the seats!

Thank you
Old May 17, 19, 6:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
I think you can wait until you make HON, not many people know about the option anyway and those that do usually do it only at the day of the flight. So I'd reserver the seats as soon as you're HON, but before OLCI starts (as then there is a possibility that they give the F seats away when J is fully sold out. (they sell a total of 53 C seats on the A330 and 70 on the B77W, so the sell all C seats including the F seats!)

However, keep in mind that if your partner isn't HON they'd still need to pay!
Old May 17, 19, 6:31 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
I wouldn't waste CHF250 on a C => F seat upgrade on this short daytime flight, especially if there was a good chance that I could get it for free in a little while.

Keep in mind that catering / service etc. remains unchanged so it really isn't a major thing.
Old May 17, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
This is a gate seat upgrade for HON, not earlier and not at C/I. Not guaranteed as priority is given to connecting F pax and this willing to pay the fee.

I don’t know how this works for HON companions.

If you want a guaranteed F seat with C service, pay now. If you’re prepared to wait and “take the risk” to fly in C (small chance I think) then save the money.

If the flight gets downgraded to A320/1 then you would get your money back I hope.
Old May 17, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON
Would expertflyer be accurate on which seats in the F cabin are occupied already?
Old May 18, 19, 5:04 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
https://www.swiss.com/israel/en/first-class-seating

Price is either USD 300 or CHF 300 (free for HON and connecting F) and provided only at check in time at the airport.

Old May 18, 19, 2:56 pm

The downgrade to A321 can happen at short notice, my last one happened between 48h-24h before the flight.
Old May 20, 19, 4:50 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by MichielR View Post
This is a gate seat upgrade for HON, not earlier and not at C/I. Not guaranteed as priority is given to connecting F pax and this willing to pay the fee.

I don’t know how this works for HON companions.

If you want a guaranteed F seat with C service, pay now. If you’re prepared to wait and “take the risk” to fly in C (small chance I think) then save the money.

If the flight gets downgraded to A320/1 then you would get your money back I hope.
Quick question n Im arriving in LX F from HKG and couldn't get a same day connecting flight to TLV SO will I have access to this seating on basis of F arrival if my connection to TLV is next morning? I understands F lounge access wont be available next day flying to TLV

Search this Thread