Swiss Op-up

Old May 15, 19, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS | Marriott Titanium / LT Gold
Swiss Op-up

Does anyone know how Swiss does their Op-Ups on international flights? I was very surprised recently when I was flying Swiss business from Zurich - Chicago on a United ticket and was op-up'd to First when I scanned my BP. I'm United 1K (therefore *G) and the ticket was paid (~10k roundtrip) but I would have still expected some LH / LX elite to get first dibs. Definitely a nice surprise as I'd otherwise never get the chance to fly Swiss' first class.

Years ago I was actually op-up'd from a very cheap economy ticket to Swiss business as *G on united ticket stock as well. I guess my odds have been quite good with them.
Old May 15, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: A3*G BA Silver
Was your ticket fully flex? then thats why. LH group prioritise expensive fare class before status. For example if you are on a full flex C and a Senator with a cheap C you will get the upgrade.
Old May 15, 19, 2:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
As mentioned above itís booking class before status. But how exactly it works isnít known. I feel that as *G it seems I have gotten more upgrades than some Swiss Senators.
Old May 15, 19, 3:12 pm

Programs: LH HON*
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
As mentioned above itís booking class before status. But how exactly it works isnít known. I feel that as *G it seems I have gotten more upgrades than some Swiss Senators.
To me that sounds like ďpenny-wise and pound-foolishĒ - they then care more about who has spent the most money on this particular flight, as opposed to how much revenue someone is bringing in over his/her total customer life cycle. Loyalty should be a two-way street.
Old May 15, 19, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
Not sure about that

Last Dec on a UA tkt EWR-ZRH(UA) ZRH-TLV (LX) very very low coach fare, I didnt take note of the BP for the LX flight UA gave me till it was given back tome @ The Lounge by the E gates in ZRH, where it had a Biz seat assigned The BP I printed put at home the day before leaving NY had my coach seat printed on it Im a *G via UA as a UA Gold which gets transalted by LX to being a Senator

Ive also misconnected numerous times due to UA being delayed and arriving either after the 252 has left or < 15 mins till it will. Each time there were dzs of others also who were connecting onto the 252, usually myself and couple of others ended up on LYs Noon flight and there were many empty seats still on that flight.If it matters its a LX code-share, seems w/o being a *G LX rebooked you on their 10:30pm flight to TLV. I asked the 1st time and the others who were also booked onto that same LY flight were *Gs as well (dont know with which carrier or level).
Old May 16, 19, 1:58 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
As mentioned above it’s booking class before status
Based on my information, which was factual about 5 years ago, the op-up priority on Swiss was
VIP
HON
SEN
*G
FTL
*S
and only then, and within that, booking class / fare family.
I have no information that this would have changed, but that doesn't mean it hasn't.
m a *G via UA as a UA Gold which gets transalted by LX to being a Senator
No it doesn't. Miles&More SEN are identified separately from *G and there are several published and unpublished extra benefits SEN get over *G when travelling on LHG flights.
Old May 16, 19, 2:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
All LH group airlines using Amadeus Altea as DCS (LH/LX/OS/SN) calculate a PCV which is based on your elite status at M&M or *A and the ticket price you paid. So a UA*G with a pricey ticket can beat a SEN with a cheapo ticket. See post #21 in this thread: Did LH change its operational upgrade logic?
Nick Art, airoli, ermis177 and 1 others like this.
Old May 17, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: LH HON
OP said the ticket was $10k in business for ZRH-ORD, so I'm willing to bet the fare class was on the higher end.

I've seen UA frequent fliers opped up quite frequently on my LX flights.
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: LH HON*
Live from ZRH-NRT. Opup from P to First, Business was sold out since days and seat map full. Great crew and good food, if I really have to find a fault... bring back the collared Zimmerli pjs, please.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
I have been Senator for 15 years and look to always efficiently buy tickets at cheapest price, months in advance, or on sales... I have never ever been upgraded so I m sure there is truth to the fact they prioritize fare price over status.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by TheHak View Post
I have never ever been upgraded so I m sure there is truth to the fact they prioritize fare price over status.
Not necessarily. It just means that there could have been SEN and HON on the same flight / booked cabin with you who didn't buy their tickets months in advance at the cheapest price.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:49 am

duplicate
Old Jun 19, 19, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by airoli View Post
Not necessarily. It just means that there could have been SEN and HON on the same flight / booked cabin with you who didn't buy their tickets months in advance at the cheapest price.

or you have never flown on a overbooked flight....
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:43 pm

I bought months ago ticket in cheap L fare, it was printed fare W on my boarding pass, Swiss surprised me with a complimentary upgrade to Business Class while boarding ZRH BKK LX180 flight, I got 4D seat in the smaller C section. So I think my upgrade was only because of my SEN status.

I also had purchased an A la Carte meal for my Economy flight and they asked me on board whether I prefer getting the meal I had paid for or having Business Class food.

Last edited by andywaw; Jul 4, 19 at 11:23 pm
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by andywaw View Post
I also had purchased an A la Carte meal for my Economy flight and they asked me on board whether I prefer getting the meal I had paid for or having Business Class food.
Logically you should have been entitled to both

Search this Thread