FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Cookie Fare Increase . . WK - BEWARE !!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1965715-cookie-fare-increase-wk-beware.html)

zrh2yvr Apr 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Cookie Fare Increase . . WK - BEWARE !!!

Maybe it's obvious to most people - but WK is using browser cookies to provide fare increases.

Wife made inquiry at 1800 for a flight. Went back to look again at 22:30 - the flight was now 30 CHF higher. But here's the thing - - was only higher on her browser / computer - not on my computer with a fresh query.

Frankly - I get air fares and the complexities - but what I find completely unacceptable is some type of "spying" and mind games such that the play with people to get a higher fare when it is based solely on their inquiry patterns. Then - you can't even cancel / change or call them!!!

Quite a bitter feeling right now - and we have never booked them before.Beware - -clear the cache or use a new session or private session when making the fare inquiry.

athome Apr 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Where are the news?

Lot of airlines and booking portals do this.

Nic33 Apr 17, 2019 12:53 am

Originally Posted by athome (Post 31008187)
Lot of airlines and booking portals do this.

But not LH, nor LX. I believe that this is an unfair practice, especially from a government owned company. I was particularly suprised to experience this with the Swiss railroad company.

To avoid to be victim of those practices, I use the private browsing mode of my browser.

Nick Art Apr 17, 2019 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Nic33 (Post 31009143)
But not LH, nor LX. I believe that this is an unfair practice, especially from a government owned company. I was particularly suprised to experience this with the Swiss railroad company.

To avoid to be victim of those practices, I use the private browsing mode of my browser.

The Swiss railroad has fixed prices for all routes. The only thing that could be subject to this are the Sparbillette that offer a discount on not so busy times.

Nic33 Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art (Post 31009482)
The Swiss railroad has fixed prices for all routes. The only thing that could be subject to this are the Sparbillette that offer a discount on not so busy times.

It was an international fare to Milan, heavily discounted upon first search, massively increased on the second search, but again heavily discounted with a third search from another device.

Concerto Apr 17, 2019 4:29 pm

I have had this with the train tickets. It really helps to change device/computer and internet connection. Often I use the various Swiss stations wifi network (SBB Free) and try not to worry too much about booking over an unsecured network. So far so good.

zrh2yvr Apr 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Just a final followup. A message to WK allowed an immediate refund of the original ticket. It was requested within 10 minutes of booking and they were fine with it. They were just not easy to get in touch with since only by phone (phone centre closed) or some type of complaint form online. All in - their response was adequate but my other half (who is purely an uninformed passenger and not airline savvy) was so angry - it just ruined the night . . . as you can imagine happens sometimes.

robertr Apr 26, 2019 12:22 am

I hate acronyms what is WK?

f4freeJunior Apr 26, 2019 12:30 am

Originally Posted by robertr (Post 31038435)
I hate acronyms what is WK?

the airline Edelweiss

airoli Apr 26, 2019 1:37 am

Originally Posted by robertr (Post 31038435)
I hate acronyms

LOL! Good luck on FT! :cool: