FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   ZRH overnight layover - Radisson vs Hilton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1963098-zrh-overnight-layover-radisson-vs-hilton.html)

vj_rama Mar 29, 2019 9:00 am

ZRH overnight layover - Radisson vs Hilton

Hello all -

I have a 10 hour overnight layover in zrh coming up this may, travelling with wife and two kids. Arriving 10pm and departing 9am following morning.

I see the airport hotel is quite spartan and has communal restrooms. Furthermore, from what I can gather, the airport restaurants and food options are generally closed around 10 pm.

I would rather get a proper hotel room with possibilities of late night food/room service etc, as it would be more comfortable with the kids.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a short overnight stay with kids? We've stayed in zurich old town before so it's not necessary to see the town or night life.

I've narrowed it down to either Radisson Blu (connected to the airport) vs Hilton Airport (shuttle service).

It seems the Radisson is quite expensive and can get a similar size room for about 100 CHF less at the Hilton. Although it would be nice to simply walk to the terminal in the morning. Does anyone know how convenient the shuttle service is?

One other consideration is we are flying first class so I wanted to get to the airport quite early (6 am or so) to take advantage of the lounges.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

allain Mar 29, 2019 9:58 am

I've stayed at a different hotel, but same distance as Hilton. The shuttle schedule is quite good and the trip short, so you'll be fine,

The Radisson Blu is a good hotel and super convenient, because then it's just a short walk to the lounge. As you say, it's rather expensive. Also, the food at the hotel is very pricey.
There are a three supermarkets at the airport and they close at 23h00. So you can get food there after your arrival.

chris63 Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am

Radisson is best, you get what your paying for, it’s super convenient & surely you want to enjoy your F experience & just stroll across the street to the F check in & not slum it in a shuttle bus....

YuropFlyer Mar 30, 2019 6:17 am

Radisson is better than the Hilton in terms of convenience (and also hotel rooms I'd say, the Hilton is fairly tired)

Have you checked that you (and everyone else in your family) can enter Switzerland on their passport? That's the main reason for the airport hotel in Non-Schengen zone (pax who can't enter Schengen and got stuck in ZRH overnight intentionally or by missing their connection)

Also, if you're arriving and departing Non-Schengen, I'd advise to arrive back at the airport early enough. Immigration can be rather naughty when you can't use the automatic gates (or they're broken yet again.. worse then actually, because all Swiss/EFTA/EU members have to queue at the few regular booth as well)

As you're probably aware, there are several other airport hotels in ZRH, but none of them is really nearby but the Radisson. For a simple overnight, pretty much any hotel would do, which is way hotels like the Hilton are relatively cheap (in terms of Switzerland prices) BUT they're now charging for whatever they can. At the Hilton, the shuttle bus now costs money even if you stay there! For a family of 4, that's quite some money (I think it's 5 CHF per pax and way, thus would be 40 CHF..)

My personal advise would probably be for the Radisson - the extra costs are relatively small for the convenience it gets you.

Alternatively, the Ibis Budget is 2 tram stops (3min) away from the airport - if all you want is a bed - and usually can be had for a bargain. I'd say in 9 out of 10 cases, you'd be there (and from there especially) quicker than to the Hilton.

vj_rama Mar 30, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 30945681)

Have you checked that you (and everyone else in your family) can enter Switzerland on their passport? That's the main reason for the airport hotel in Non-Schengen zone (pax who can't enter Schengen and got stuck in ZRH overnight intentionally or by missing their connection)

Also, if you're arriving and departing Non-Schengen, I'd advise to arrive back at the airport early enough. Immigration can be rather naughty when you can't use the automatic gates (or they're broken yet again.. worse then actually, because all Swiss/EFTA/EU members have to queue at the few regular booth as well)

We all have US passports so we'll be ok for entry. Also, we'll be arriving from CDG and departing to BOM - We should be able to use FCL A terminal to clear immigration/securityand then transfer to E FCL via car, correct? And is it correct to assume we don't have to clear immigration again after transfer to E gates? Is immigration a pain even in the FCL?

chris63 Mar 30, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by vj_rama (Post 30946091)
We all have US passports so we'll be ok for entry. Also, we'll be arriving from CDG and departing to BOM - We should be able to use FCL A terminal to clear immigration/securityand then transfer to E FCL via car, correct? And is it correct to assume we don't have to clear immigration again after transfer to E gates? Is immigration a pain even in the FCL?

So your just connecting now ?

Of course you can use FCL A & all it’s facitities, no need to do anything else in E & they will drive you from A to E on a F ticket

vj_rama Mar 30, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30946301)

So your just connecting now ?

Of course you can use FCL A & all it’s facitities, no need to do anything else in E & they will drive you from A to E on a F ticket

It's an overnight connection. Landing from CDG 10 pm and flying to BOM at 9 am following day.

chris63 Mar 30, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by vj_rama (Post 30946353)
It's an overnight connection. Landing from CDG 10 pm and flying to BOM at 9 am following day.

Then my recommendation is the Radisson & check in at FCL A next day & they will take care of everything

YuropFlyer Mar 30, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30946373)

Then my recommendation is the Radisson & check in at FCL A next day & they will take care of everything

I second this. If you're flying F, saving a little bit to go for a less convenient airport hotel really isn't a thing. Especially if you like to enjoy the F lounge(s) in the morning.

Finkface Mar 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30946373)

Another vote for Radisson here. It is just so easy. Quick walk when you arrive and even quicker walk in the morning. And a very nice hotel as well.

chris63 Mar 30, 2019 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 30947143)
If you're flying F, saving a little bit to go for a less convenient airport hotel really isn't a thing. Especially if you like to enjoy the F lounge(s) in the morning.

Exactly & with a 9 am start to BOM who would want to be messing around with hotel shuttles.

worldclubber Mar 31, 2019 12:44 am

Particularly with wife and kids in tow, you do not want to go anywhere but the Radisson on such a short layover.

vj_rama Mar 31, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks for all the advice! Went ahead and made a flexible booking at the Radisson. Was surprised at how little the discount was for non-refundable rate.

worldclubber Mar 31, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by vj_rama (Post 30949252)
Thanks for all the advice! Went ahead and made a flexible booking at the Radisson. Was surprised at how little the discount was for non-refundable rate.

Very smart move. Enjoy your trip!

craz Mar 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by vj_rama (Post 30949252)

The only place Id stay if I was traveling with the family, for 3 reasons, Location.Location,Location

I usually stay there even when Im alone and over nighting. This upcoming trip I decided to try The Park Inn. I usually use pts and the PI is apx 1/2 the amount and they prebooked me on a morning shuttle otherwise it would have been The Rad. also The PI dropped their fee for the shuttle from the hotel back to the airport

But nothing beats rolling out of bed and a 5-10 min walk to the term, I will miss that this time