DEL-ZRH delays: UA award ticket & connecting flights

Old Mar 17, 19, 2:32 am
Original Poster

DEL-ZRH delays: UA award ticket & connecting flights

We have business class award tickets issued by United, flying SWISS as follows: DEL-ZRH-MIA.

Since Feb 28, Pakistani airspace is closed to international traffic to/from India; so the ZRH-DEL and DEL-ZRH flights have been taking a circuitous route, which means that they take about 90-120 minutes longer than normal each way. So, since March 1, the DEL-ZRH flight arrives (on average) only at about 9:40 AM, as against the scheduled 6:15 AM arrival.

This means that connection to the ZRH-MIA flight, starting at 9:45 AM is going to be impossible if things continue without change.

As of now, it appears that some airlines are operating under the assumption that Pakistani airspace will be closed at least until the end of April.
(For example, Air India has adjusted schedules until end of April with the assumption that they have to take the circuitous routes.)

We will be flying in April.
If I do nothing, and nothing changes, and the DEL-ZRH aircraft arrives at around 9:45 AM, and I therefore miss the connecting ZRH-MIA flight, will SWISS take care of me?
Or, am I supposed to call United from the Zurich airport?

Who is supposed to be responsible in such a situation, United or SWISS?(I think the answer is SWISS, but based on my past experiences with SWISS that does not make me comfortable at all; Lufthansa seems much better in such situations, again based on past experiences.)

Should I be proactive, and ask United to change the itinerary now itself? (Two issues arise: there should be availability, and will they charge me for such change; I have no status with United now.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Mar 17, 19, 2:46 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
If LX donít alter the schedule & you miss your connection itís LX responsibility to rebook you & offer / provide duty of care & in ZRH they are well set up to do that.
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:49 am

Programs: LX/LH, AF/KL
Originally Posted by raghu View Post
This means that connection to the ZRH-MIA flight, starting at 9:45 AM is going to be impossible if things continue without change.

If I do nothing, and nothing changes, and the DEL-ZRH aircraft arrives at around 9:45 AM, and I therefore miss the connecting ZRH-MIA flight, will SWISS take care of me?
Swiss has another ZRHMIA flight around 1pm. You will probably be transferred on that flight (if availability permits)

Last edited by milesfixed; Mar 17, 19 at 5:49 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I doubt you will be allowed to rebook now for flights in April. Hopefully the airspace closure will be over by April. If not, LX should take care of you and make the rebooking if you arrive late at ZRH and miss the UA flight. Forget about getting rebooked in advance. The issue is here that you are on UA award and LX will be reluctant to touch it even if you misconnect. You may face agents trying to convince you to contact UA as UA issued the UA ticket. However, I believe that there is a good chance that LX at ZRH airport will rebook you without fuzz. Forget about calling LX to rebook; call center agents can't/will not touch award tickets issued by other carriers.

If you call UA to rebook now, I class needs to be available for the new flights and you will have to pay change fee - it will be considered a voluntary change of the award ticket and treated in the same way.

Last edited by SK AAR; Mar 17, 19 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The LX OCC monitors the situation and if you won't make the connection they will rebook you onto a later connection into MIA. Just make sure you add your passport details to the reservation so they know for which countries you don't need a visa. For example Indian citizen can't fly ZRH-FRA/YUL/CPH/OSL-MIA for lack of applicable visa.
Dhamal and chris63 like this.
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Oliver,
Thanks for the information.
We are US citizens, so I will be sure to add passport details.
What is OCC?
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Operation control center
Old Apr 12, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Swiss Air will wait for your arrival or put you on a partner airline to get to your destination if you miss your connection.. so worries mate.. have a safe trip.

Swiss can rebook you or United can also since it was United MileagePlus award points were used.

Last edited by Dhamal; May 7, 19 at 7:43 am

Search this Thread