Search

CPT-(SA)-JNB-(LX)-ZRH-(UA)-EWR separate tickets, luggage, short checking advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
CPT-(SA)-JNB-(LX)-ZRH-(UA)-EWR separate tickets, luggage, short checking advice

Hi folks.

CPT - JNB. Paid ticket in coach on SA. 2.5 hour layover.

JNB - ZRH. Award ticket in business on LX. Four hour layover.

ZRH - EWR. Paid ticket in coach on UA. Hoping upgrade clears. Or that JNB-JFK award business opens up and I eat the $300 fee.

The wrinkle here is that the JNB-ZRH leg is actually JNB-ZRH-FRA with a 12 hour layover. Called UA twice to ask LX to kill the last segment and they refused because "through-fare" on an award ticket...ok

So if you were us, would you check your luggage the whole way home in CPT and home it somehow doesn't end up in FRA or would you check just to ZRH and the re-check it in? How hard is that to do airside in ZRH?

Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pduck01
So if you were us, would you check your luggage the whole way home in CPT and home it somehow doesn't end up in FRA or would you check just to ZRH and the re-check it in? How hard is that to do airside in ZRH?

Thank you!
This isn't really a UA question, but I'd be surprised if it were possible to check your luggage to EWR in the first place. You may not even be able to check it to ZRH, depending upon what LX decides to allow. UA has started using married segment logic even on some partner award tickets -- were you ever intending to go to FRA? Or was this simply a matter of the JNB-ZRH award never being available on its own?

I can't imagine you could pick up and re-check your luggage airside at ZRH. In order to get to baggage claim, you'd have to go through passport control. You might be able to get someone at the transfer desk to re-route it for you.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
You also need to factor in that South Africa has incredibly strict rules on carry-on luggage. They don’t allow a piece to weigh over 7kg. So, good luck in making this work out.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:48 am
Original Poster

So LX is going to deny us the right to access our luggage in ZRH when we have 12 hours there?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Carryon weight rules are barely enforced in RSA, especially for business class passengers like the OP.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So LX is going to deny us the right to access our luggage in ZRH when we have 12 hours there?
SA will, at your option, check your bags to either JNB, FRA, or EWR.
LX will, if your bags aren not checked through, check to either ZRH or EWR.
UA will, of course, check to EWR if needed.

If checking across tickets, it is best to have a paper print out of the onwards e-ticket receipts for each passenger. The information, especially the e-ticket number, can be helpful to agents checking across tickets and that reduces the likelihood of the bags going to some odd place not of your liking.

Highly unlikely that either SA or LX will short check to other than a ticket's destination. It is a red flag for hidden city ticketing. It is also worth noting that so long as the FRA segment is on the LX ticket, LX has a duty to get you to FRA, not ZRH. In IRROPS, the reroute may well be to FRA.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know their policies. That's why I said it's not really a UA question -- it's an LX question. If you have an overnight in ZRH, I'd guess that they would short-check, but that's all it is -- a guess.

Originally Posted by Often1
SA will, at your option, check your bags to either JNB, FRA, or EWR.
LX will, if your bags aren not checked through, check to either ZRH or EWR.
UA will, of course, check to EWR if needed.
I'm not sure SA will check the bags to EWR due to the ZRH-FRA segment. I'm not sure they won't, either -- that's a question for SA. And I'm not sure LX would either. As you say, it's a hidden-city ticketing thing. Did you mean "FRA or EWR" for LX? I can't even guarantee ZRH would be an option, depending upon LX's rules.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Carryon weight rules are barely enforced in RSA, especially for business class passengers like the OP.
I was flying in J from CPT to JNB on SAA about 4 months ago and they made me gate check my carry on for being over 7kg.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

SA interlines with both LX and LX,of course, interlines with UA. There is no reason the bag can't be checked through. Whether SA will do so because it requires manual intervention is a different issue.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

So if you were us...check bags to Zurich or go for Newark?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended

It's a matter of personal preference.

While I don't check bags, so it is not a big deal to me, I suppose that I would prefer to hand my bags over at CPT and retrieve them at EWR.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
So if you were us...check bags to Zurich or go for Newark?
How are you reasonably going to check them through to EWR? The agent is going to see that you're supposedly flying to FRA but you don't hold a reservation for FRA-EWR. What do you expect them to do?

Last edited by JimInOhio; Mar 15, 2019 at 5:41 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
A lot of bad advice here. You’re trying to take advantage of hidden city ticketing. You’re not going to be able to check a bag.
chris63, athome and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Sure we will. We have a 12+ hour layover in Zurich. UA told me to tell LX we don’t need then hopper flight and have them cancel but we aren’t checking in with them.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:38 pm

Sure we will. We have a 12+ hour layover in Zurich. UA told me to tell LX we don’t need then hopper flight and have them cancel but we aren’t checking in with them.

If you are so sure, why are you asking the board for advise? When ever a member is trying to help, you seem to refute their advise? If you don’t trust the responses here, why don’t you contact SA about their interline baggage policy? Be specific about your routing and that you will not be taking the ZRH-FRA segment. No matter what your stated response from UA about your LX flights, SA will have the final say about your checked baggage if you want to through check your baggage. Alas, you are not going to like what SA will tell you, and probably refute this advice.....
JimInOhio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.