Economy Light Fare

Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:12 pm
BCC
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Economy Light Fare

I am Eurobonus Gold (SAS) flying Stockholm-Zurich-Miami on an Economy Light ticket. I believe you check in at the SAS ticket counter at Arlanda. Economy Light tickets allow 0 checked bags but being Eurobonus Gold (or Star Alliance Gold) usually allows you 1 bag on Star Alliance carriers. Is this the case? I have read conflicting posts about Yes you can check 1 bag, no you can't. Sometimes you can, ect.... Any input is appreciated. Just trying to figure out how to pack. I can take just a carry on but being able to check a bag will allow me to bring shaving cream, cologne, ect...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: LH HON
No *G bags on light fares
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
BCC
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick response! Carry on bag it is.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by daumueller
No *G bags on light fares
Did you read the OP's question properly?

He's flying long haul (to Miami) through ZRH, so it's clearly a "North American Light fare" - where *G are enjoying as sort of a "goodwill" guesture from LH group (valid for all LH group light fares to North Amerca) still one piece of baggage for free (no second one)

https://abouttravel.ch/reisebranche/...rif-von-swiss/

OP, you're fine to check in ONE piece of luggage as *G on your schedule.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: LX SEN
I have been denied the free bag as senator on swiss eco light itineraries to the US (even after upgrading to business). They claimed that the gold will guesture has been phased out. Please keep us posted as to how this plays out for you.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by LaxAttack
I have been denied the free bag as senator on swiss eco light itineraries to the US (even after upgrading to business). They claimed that the gold will guesture has been phased out. Please keep us posted as to how this plays out for you.
https://www.lufthansa.com/ga/en/economy-light-fare

" When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge. This goodwill gesture applies exclusively at the airport check-in counter. When booking a piece of baggage e.g. online or at a travel agency, a baggage charge applies. "

Can't find anything on the terrible LX website (seriously, their website is even worse than that of LH!) but I must assume that the little daughter has the same rules on the light fares that it shares with it's mother..

Probably they enjoy squeezing out the lemon just a bit more from those not complaining enough.. every day a new low at LH group
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:56 am
BCC
Original Poster

What I am going to do is pack my carry on bag and then proceed to check it when I get to the airport. If I get charged, I will just bring it on the plane with me. I will report back here what happens.
LaxAttack likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:13 pm
BCC
Original Poster

Star Alliance Gold members would have to pay for checked baggage on Swiss Intercontinental on Light Fares.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by BCC
Star Alliance Gold members would have to pay for checked baggage on Swiss Intercontinental on Light Fares.
Thanks for reporting back, thats very poor of LX
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: LH SEN
Additionally it's not true that in Europe on all Star Alliance carriers you can't take bags.
LOT Polish Airlines on Economy saver allows already with Silver Status take 1 bag 23 kg.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:56 am
BCC
Original Poster

Well, I flew back from Miami to Stockholm via Zurich. I had a bag that I had to check and was ready to pay. I checked in online and got my seat, went to the check in counter with my bag and she checked it in no problem. She asked me if I wanted a boarding card printed and I said no. She then had a confused look on her face and said the system says you need to pay for the bag. I ,of course, gave her a confused look and she called a guy over to help. He said that I had a Light ticket but since I was Eurobonus Gold, all she had to do was type Gold into one of the fields and it was all good. Bag checked with no Fee. I also was upgraded to Business on the flight from Zurich to Stockholm due to the flight being full. This happened as I scanned my boarding card to board. Great Service !!
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:12 pm

Just to clarify - I've a light fare on the outbound with LH (EU-US) and should be able to check in one piece of luggage free of charge based on *G status.
With LX on the return, I'll need to pay 60 USD for checked luggage. Is that correct?
Old May 7, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
Is this info still up to date? Booked basic economy with UA, but due to schedule change, I am now flying on LH coming back from Barcelona. Would I be charged a baggage fee for one checked bag as Star Alliance Gold?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: LX SEN
Hello - sorry for reviving an old thread, but didn't find new information.

I am LX SEN, looking to buy an intercontinental economy light fare. The "baggage calculator" gives me 1 free checked bag, but on this page it says no free bag for SEN. What's right? Does anyone have any experience on intercontinental flights? Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I got no free checked bag as SEN on my intercontinental economy light fare with LX. Irrelevant but that was ZRH-LAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.