Wiki Posts
Search

Nice Booze at ZRH?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Nice Booze at ZRH?

Bear in mind I rarely drink alcohol, so apologies for the dumb question.

I'm transiting in ZRH next week and need to buy booze for a party that I'm attending right when I land.

I wanted to buy a few bottles of Dom.

1) Is Dom readily available in ZRH duty free? I remember seeing it in the FCT duty free in FRA, but I never shop duty free in ZRH so I don't really know what's available. I'll be transiting from A to E gates so I can check out both duty free sections.

2) How much can I buy/carry with me?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
How much you can carry depends on your muscle strength ;-) . As long as you buy it airside, no more liquid restrictions.

Most countries allow you to bring almost unlimited quantities of booze. But only a very limited amount can be brought in without paying duties. Look up the respective regulations for your destination.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks. With dainty arms carrying all of this will be difficult to be honest.

I'm flying to the US.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by sophialite
Thanks. With dainty arms carrying all of this will be difficult to be honest.

I'm flying to the US.
Try this: https://zurich.shopdutyfree.com/en/

Looks like you can pre-order Dom and whatever else.

disclaimer: never used it myself.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
The premium champagne in Duty Free at ZRH are often higher than regular liquor store prices in other countries, so beware!
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Maybe worth to give LX a call and ask them if it can be purchased on board? I've done so with JW Blue Label on SQ. It was delivered on my desired flight. That particular bottle was available in their krishop.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: LX SEN

2) How much can I buy/carry with me?
1 liter from Europe to USA duty free. Additional volumes will be taxed (if declared).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I wanted to say, there's 20% off wine at the COOP at the moment. But I see you are flying next week, which is a shame as this offer will finish on Saturday.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vantage03
The premium champagne in Duty Free at ZRH are often higher than regular liquor store prices in other countries, so beware!
More expensive than in Paris (city, not airport) in your view?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: LXFF
Would be less expensive to buy it in the US that's for sure...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
More expensive than in Paris (city, not airport) in your view?
Airport prices for Duty free in most Countries are not a bargain & then your using your Duty free allowance.
You should be able to source DOM or other Top Champagne in London, buy online, it will already come well packed & put it in your checked luggage, Champagne bottles are very strong & IME always survive the battering from baggage handlers & I rarely travel without Champagne in my luggage
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vantage03
+ 1

Never seen anything there that couldn’t be bought cheaper elsewhere
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
If you have time to go near the HB then you are much better off buying it in town as Duty Free prices are indeed higher. Arvino, tucked away behind Coop City near Hiltl iis by far the cheapest (around 160 I believe) as well as Paul Ullrich, or even Globus or Jelmoli or Coop as someone else mentioned.

But since you are transferring I can say that Duty Free does have all of the major brands but at higher prices than outside. As a price point I do remember earlier this week Cristal was 220 and Dom Rose was around 370. Those are slightly higher than outside Duty Free prices.

Last edited by XUPhilly; Feb 28, 2019 at 11:15 pm Reason: clarified duty free prices
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by XUPhilly
If you have time to go near the HB then you are much better off buying it in town as Duty Free prices are indeed higher. Arvino, tucked away behind Coop City near Hiltl iis by far the cheapest (around 160 I believe) as well as Paul Ullrich, or even Globus or Jelmoli or Coop as someone else mentioned.

But since you are transferring I can say that Duty Free does have all of the major brands but at higher prices than outside. As a price point I do remember earlier this week Cristal was 220 and Dom Rose was around 370. Those are slightly higher than outside Duty Free prices.
Are those CHF prices ? And if so what is costing 160 ?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:16 am
Original Poster

I can’t check in bags as I’m traveling carry only on this trip, so buying booze outside of duty free on my originating trip is out of the question.

But I have been convinced that it may be a better financial decision to pick some up when I land in the US. My parties aren’t until middle of the week so I’ll have plenty of time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.