Additionnal costs due to rebooking

Old Feb 20, 19, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, FB Blue
Question Additionnal costs due to rebooking

Hi. Quick question, I digged through the forum but couldn't find anything this specific, sorry if it was already discussed somewhere else.

Our flight LX258 GVA-NCE was cancelled ten days ago and we were rebooked on GVA - ZRH - NCE, arriving 6 hours earlier than planned in NCE, thus causing some additionnal costs (mainly bus rental costs). It wouldn't have been a problem travelling alone, but we were a whole football team of more than 10pax (kids). My understanding, from following multiple discussion here, is that any additional cost resulting from this change are not covered by LX, but just wanted to check here before taking it over with them.

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 19, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
LX won't cover the bus costs, but there may be EC 261/2004 cancellation compensation due. With 11 passengers that might well cover the bus costs and more.

Your post does not provide the reason for the cancellation, the originally scheduled time of departure or the rerouted time of departure. With that, we can provide a likely compensation number. Any compensation will be due to each individual passenger, but I presume that as a team, each player will put his compensation, if any is due, to the additional costs.
Old Feb 20, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr.Potato View Post
Hi. Quick question, I digged through the forum but couldn't find anything this specific, sorry if it was already discussed somewhere else.

Our flight LX258 GVA-NCE was cancelled ten days ago and we were rebooked on GVA - ZRH - NCE, arriving 6 hours earlier than planned in NCE, thus causing some additionnal costs (mainly bus rental costs). It wouldn't have been a problem travelling alone, but we were a whole football team of more than 10pax (kids). My understanding, from following multiple discussion here, is that any additional cost resulting from this change are not covered by LX, but just wanted to check here before taking it over with them.

Thanks!
You say that the flight was cancelled ten days ago, but when are you scheduled to travel? If the cancellation or significant schedule change is less than fourteen days before the travel date (unclear what happens if the change is made earlier but the airline fails to notify you of the change until it's within the fourteen day period and how one would prove that there had been no attempt to notify), EC261 should apply but I don't know what the amounts would be on this route for a six hour earlier arrival and presumably roughly an eight or more hour earlier departure.

If you're arriving early rather than late, can you just wait for the bus and get to your destination at the originally planned time?

Have you checked for flight at the times you prefer and asked to be rebooked on those? Alternatively, would it make sense to take a refund and purchase new tickets for the times you want, perhaps on a different carrier?
Old Feb 20, 19, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Sorry I wasn't clear I haven't been the main recipient of the email (I thought to have learn better reading the different threads). The arrival in advance was only of 4h50.

The flight was yesterday (19.02) and we were informed 15 days before (04.02), see the message we received below explaining the re-rerouting.

I regret to inform you that following the schedule change on the flight in your booking. The following direct flight LX 528 on 19 FEB is not operating any longer. It was replaced by the flights LX2809 from Geneva to Zurich and LX 568 from Zurich to Nice with the departure time from the airport of Geneva is at 11 am and the arrival at the airport of Nice at 14:05. The previous departure and arrival time was 1755 1855 respectively.
So I guess EC261 does not apply since we were informed soon enough.
Old Feb 20, 19, 7:40 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 most certainly applies. But, it does not afford any compensation. It does provide the passenger the option of cancelling for a refund, immediate rebooking, or rebooking in the future. I trust that the rebooking was, if not satisfactory, the best available. If not, then one must propose another more favorable rebooking.

As others note, while I can think of better things to do in Nice than sit at an airport, the fact is that the team was early and thus rescheduling of bus costs is an optional convenience.
Old Feb 20, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
EC 261/2004 most certainly applies. But, it does not afford any compensation. It does provide the passenger the option of cancelling for a refund, immediate rebooking, or rebooking in the future. I trust that the rebooking was, if not satisfactory, the best available. If not, then one must propose another more favorable rebooking.

As others note, while I can think of better things to do in Nice than sit at an airport, the fact is that the team was early and thus rescheduling of bus costs is an optional convenience.
Ok I see, thanks for your quick answers.

Search this Thread