777 or A330 to ORD?

Old Feb 12, 19, 11:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 822
777 or A330 to ORD?

Looking to book a flight in May to Chicago from ZRH and it's looking like there's a mix of 777 vs. A330. Is there a set schedule on which the A330 rotates in or is it random?
sophialite is online now  
Old Feb 13, 19, 12:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
Looking to book a flight in May to Chicago from ZRH and it's looking like there's a mix of 777 vs. A330. Is there a set schedule on which the A330 rotates in or is it random?
According to Expertflyer:
777 M, W, TH, F, SA, SU
333 TU, TH

TH seems unclear
worldclubber is offline  
Old Apr 27, 19, 7:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Franklin TWP, NJ
Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Posts: 642
I'd choose 777 over A333, for comfort and not be in a cramped area.
Dhamal is offline  
Old Apr 27, 19, 9:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,541
In Economy I would pic the 340 over the 777 - 10 across in a 777 is torture.
In F I would pick the 777, wider seats and more privacy.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:06 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
In Economy I would pic the 340 over the 777 - 10 across in a 777 is torture.
In F I would pick the 777, wider seats and more privacy.
And in J I would pick the A340 for less noise.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 9:21 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CH
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post


And in J I would pick the A340 for less noise.
With a good ANR over the hear device, I would pick a throne on the 777 in J (more space for laptop, files and food than in the a333) or a seat in F (mainly for the sliding door). With the LX headphones (with no ANR), I would also pick the a333.
Nic33 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 11:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
With a good ANR over the hear device, I would pick a throne on the 777 in J (more space for laptop, files and food than in the a333) or a seat in F (mainly for the sliding door). With the LX headphones (with no ANR), I would also pick the a333.
I tend to not wear headphones, hence my preference for all non-777 aircraft.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 3:12 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CH
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 630
Do all b773 aircrafts make such a noise? Or did LX set the ventillation to be on max? Is there a 773 pilot reading this thread who could provide some insight?
Nic33 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:20 am
  #9  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,116
B773 are bloody noisy by design... last year I was more aware of this sitting in a QR B77W: as we pushed back without the GE90s started the noice from the aircon system was already super loud. Once the engines join in it gets loud. The A330 has some aircon packs near the door 2 which are annoying in cruise. The A346 is pretty lound in the second cabin.
worldclubber likes this.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:40 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
B773 are bloody noisy by design...


The combined engine and aircon noise are incredible for a fairly modern aircraft.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:09 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 822
It's funny because I started this thread not asking about a comparison of the two and which is better, but on which days each type operates this route so I can avoid the A333.

On 77W noise, I'm not really bothered by it because I always protect my ears. I will say the quietest planes I've been on are the top floor of the A380 and the A319/20 NEO (and the latter are seriously, seriously, quiet--I didn't have to yell to talk to the passenger two seats down).

As to the 77W vs. the A333, I honestly have never noticed a difference. But the avgeek in me loves the 77W.
sophialite is online now  
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
As to the 77W vs. the A333, I honestly have never noticed a difference. But the avgeek in me loves the 77W.
Tastes are different. Ever since I saw the first 777s at Everett before they were delivered, I have disliked the boring and noisy 777s.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:14 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CH
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
B773 are bloody noisy by design... last year I was more aware of this sitting in a QR B77W: as we pushed back without the GE90s started the noice from the aircon system was already super loud. Once the engines join in it gets loud. The A330 has some aircon packs near the door 2 which are annoying in cruise. The A346 is pretty lound in the second cabin.
It also strikes me that the b773 aircon noise is massive when entering the aircraft. While engine noise and aerodynamic noise cannot be reduced, the aircon has different settings. Could it not be set to a lower ventilation setting in the b773? Fellow passengers and I made that request on a smaller plane. The pilots decreased the ventilation and the flight was then fairly quiet (except for the engine noise, which is not terrible at cruising speed).
Nic33 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:20 am
  #14  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,116
But then you have all the other people complaining that the cabin is too hot... and reduced ventilation may be OK for the few upfront but of terrible effect for the many in the back...
chris63 likes this.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: LXFF
Posts: 242
For what it's worth, I didn't really notice the noise from the 777 in J or F. For a night flight, I would probably go with the best schedule to allow better sleep.
ced_lx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread