Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS / Edelweiss New routes and changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:22 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by milesfixed
IUnfortunately GIG and EZE are flown by the dull Edelweiss, which is a joke and certainly no option for me.
LH is your friend then. Your description of WK is fantastic: Just dull Something so tacky about them, it could not be described better.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: LX/LH SENATOR AF/KL FLYING BLUE GOLD
Originally Posted by behuman
LH is your friend then. Your description of WK is fantastic: Just dull Something so tacky about them, it could not be described better.
Absolutely, and I know we are a lot thinking this way. I really don't understand the point of sending WK to larges cities overseas. it should be flown by mainline.

But as it comes to my preferences, on long haul J, if LX is not flying itself, I switch to skyteam (AF or KL, in that order) before considering LH
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by milesfixed
Absolutely, and I know we are a lot thinking this way. I really don't understand the point of sending WK to larges cities overseas. it should be flown by mainline.

But as it comes to my preferences, on long haul J, if LX is not flying itself, I switch to skyteam (AF or KL, in that order) before considering LH
And why not WK?
seat is same as on LX but with better IFE. Food is good and as M&M member you get miles as if it was an LX flight.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Originally Posted by Gioventu
ICN is now officially the favorite new LX destination for SWISS CEO Thomas Klühr. Decision to be expected early this summer but no comment on a second new long haul destination:

Aerotelegraph Interview mit Thomas Klühr / 04.02.2019
Anyone have this in English?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: LX/LH SENATOR AF/KL FLYING BLUE GOLD
Smile

Originally Posted by alinghi90

And why not WK?
seat is same as on LX but with better IFE. Food is good and as M&M member you get miles as if it was an LX flight.
Based on previous experiences. I could give you several examples. Just an amateur and dilettante feeling. They are perfectly fine for short distances and beach holidays but should stay away from big business cities

But this is off topic, let's go back to : Swiss new long haul destinations
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:34 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Quite in contrary to a lot of people here I actually quite like EDW. I always found them to be a pretty nice and good airline on par with Swiss and Lufthansa. The only thing I dislike is that they are not part of *A, and one can‘t get any miles on them on *A partner airlines.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Quite in contrary to a lot of people here I actually quite like EDW. I always found them to be a pretty nice and good airline on par with Swiss and Lufthansa. The only thing I dislike is that they are not part of *A, and one can‘t get any miles on them on *A partner airlines.
In economy it's difficult to tell the difference between Edelweiss and LX, apart from the fact there is no free alcohol on Edelweiss.....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 8420PR
In economy it's difficult to tell the difference between Edelweiss and LX, apart from the fact there is no free alcohol on Edelweiss.....
Have just flown ZRH-EZE in J on Edelweiss and found no real difference from LX. Seats definitely better than on LH.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by airoli
Yes: https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/~/m...tionhy2018.pdf

It's probably higher if you look only at LX in ZRH.
We are talking here about LX longhaul routes.
A lot of shorthaul flights at ZRH cater to PtP pax. Hence, the overall 30% ratio for ZRH airport is typically much lower than for LX longhaul. From memory, several European airlines have been quoting around 50% of transit pax on their loghaul flights. I would be surprised if the figure was lower for LX. But just a guess.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vantage03
SEA would be excellent and a nice upgrade to LH’s clapped out 744 flying there from FRA
ATL as an alternate to SEA?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by cesco.g
ATL as an alternate to SEA?
SEA would be a great market for F (LH+LX) passengers, who can't fly F anymore on LH direct flight.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 8420PR
That's going to sound a little snobbish, but I didn't know that, for I usually fly EDW in C.

Regarding the new Longhaul destination, ICN seems to be pretty fix already to me, which only leaves the second destination which is supposed to be in America: My guess would still be on SEA, but maybe it could also be ATL as mentioned above. My hopes, however, are still on MEX!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Apparently 2 new destinations will be announced soon. One in Asia (ICN) and one in North America (Toronto or Washington).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Apparently 2 new destinations will be announced soon. One in Asia (ICN) and one in North America (Toronto or Washington).
ICN is cool, but Washington would be just boring. UA already flies to Washington! Toronto wouldn’t really be new as it is already being served by Air Canada? Both of those seem nonsensical to me.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
If the market isn’t saturated and there are margins to be had, these aren’t destinations that present a lot of economic risk. In fact there might be those who wonder why LX doesn’t fly to IAD or YYZ or ICN given the importance of those cities to their respective countries and to the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.