SWISS / Edelweiss New routes and changes

Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:57 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
SCL

Wishful thinking: SCL back from Swissair times, why not via GIG (scrapping the obsolete WK). LH group does not fly to Chile and GRU and EZE flights are full.

Asia and the Middle East are overrated, North America increasingly unfriendly and South America the future trend, business and leisure wise.
ilcannone likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by airoli
  • New long-haul destinations require additional widebody aircraft. I don't think there are any planned at the moment
Well, 2 777Ws will get added to the fleet late 2020, creating a new (still unknown) long haul route. That was officially announced.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by benji2227
Well, 2 777Ws will get added to the fleet late 2020, creating a new (still unknown) long haul route. That was officially announced
Oh, I missed that. Are they net new (i.e. not replacing A340s)?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:39 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Oh, I missed that. Are they net new (i.e. not replacing A340s)?
Yes, and it was announced that there would be two new routes, potentially north america and asia.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
  • The transfer pax share at ZRH is ~30%. So a route's feasibility depends on network demand, not just traffic to/from ZRH.
​​Really only 30%? I'd have thought a lot more.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
​​Really only 30%? I'd have thought a lot more.
Yes: https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/~/m...tionhy2018.pdf

It's probably higher if you look only at LX in ZRH.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
ICN is now officially the favorite new LX destination for SWISS CEO Thomas Klühr. Decision to be expected early this summer but no comment on a second new long haul destination:

Wir werden voraussichtlich im Frühsommer 2019 eine Entscheidung fällen. Aktuell ist Seoul unser Favorit. Das ist aber der aktuelle Stand und kann sich noch ändern.

Aerotelegraph Interview mit Thomas Klühr / 04.02.2019
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I am pretty sure the choices are indeed limited to Korea and North America. LH Group does have its problems with South America already.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:19 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Gioventu
ICN is now officially the favorite new LX destination for SWISS CEO Thomas Klühr. Decision to be expected early this summer but no comment on a second new long haul destination:

Aerotelegraph Interview mit Thomas Klühr / 04.02.2019
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I very much doubt it to be ICT.

My guess would be on ICN, SEA or MEX or maybe something in the middle east?
What do I win?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I strongly believe if LX to add a new intercontinental destination, it will be toward the other side of the Atlantic: IAD or SEA @:-)

As for ICN I doubt it is going to be a profitable destination for LX.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
SEA would be excellent and a nice upgrade to LH’s clapped out 744 flying there from FRA
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Why are they looking at destinations that LH (and OS/SN) already serve? Unless there is a huge amount of premium point to point traffic, destinations such as IAD (and ICN) are already well served.

Is there an opportunity to reinstate to some SE Asian destinations that are no longer served? For example, by switching some routes between LX and LH, such as LH going back to KUL, CGK or SGN and LX taking over one of LHs routes to free up the airframe? Then I could see ICN work.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
Why are they looking at destinations that LH (and OS/SN) already serve? Unless there is a huge amount of premium point to point traffic, destinations such as IAD (and ICN) are already well served.
The LH Group plans its network in an integrated fashion - constrained by some operational realities, of course.

But take a popular destination such as IAD. If the network planners feel that there is enough demand for that route, they can plan a daily flight from each ZRH, VIE and FRA or MUC, at different times, with different connectivity options beyond.

This way, they will maximize LHG's joint QSI (quality of service index) on a huge number of O&Ds to suck in traffic. The same applies to belly cargo, by the way.

So when it comes to LX' next longhaul destination, pure point-to-point traffic from ZRH will probably play a secondary role.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: LX/LH SENATOR AF/KL FLYING BLUE GOLD
In the same vein, I recently wondered why there is no flight to the partner hub in IAH....
I agree.
I am sure a flight to Houston would be a cash cow.
IAH has no direct flight to ZRH and would be the perfect gate to Central and South America through UA. Now the only option is flying via GRU, which i try to avoid, and Miami for some selected destinations (Unfortunately GIG and EZE are flown by the dull Edelweiss, which is a joke and certainly no option for me.)

Seoul would be very attractive as well. Not sure they could open IAH and ICN with only 2 more 777 though.
IAD is not really needed as already well served by UA from GVA and ZRH.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The LH Group plans its network in an integrated fashion - constrained by some operational realities, of course.

But take a popular destination such as IAD. If the network planners feel that there is enough demand for that route, they can plan a daily flight from each ZRH, VIE and FRA or MUC, at different times, with different connectivity options beyond.

This way, they will maximize LHG's joint QSI (quality of service index) on a huge number of O&Ds to suck in traffic. The same applies to belly cargo, by the way.

So when it comes to LX' next longhaul destination, pure point-to-point traffic from ZRH will probably play a secondary role.
Bingo. As a person who connects in the EU, I view the LH/LX flights as basically multiple frequencies. FRA leaves early afternoon, ZRH in the evening and MUC at night. Which flight I take is less connecting-airport driven and more by departure time and product. I currently prefer LX 38/39 because I can get a full day of meetings out of the way before heading to the airport, and MUC leaves too late at night for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.