New longhaul destinations?

Old Feb 6, 19, 12:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Quite in contrary to a lot of people here I actually quite like EDW. I always found them to be a pretty nice and good airline on par with Swiss and Lufthansa. The only thing I dislike is that they are not part of *A, and one can‘t get any miles on them on *A partner airlines.
Old Feb 8, 19, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
Quite in contrary to a lot of people here I actually quite like EDW. I always found them to be a pretty nice and good airline on par with Swiss and Lufthansa. The only thing I dislike is that they are not part of *A, and one can‘t get any miles on them on *A partner airlines.
In economy it's difficult to tell the difference between Edelweiss and LX, apart from the fact there is no free alcohol on Edelweiss.....
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
In economy it's difficult to tell the difference between Edelweiss and LX, apart from the fact there is no free alcohol on Edelweiss.....
Have just flown ZRH-EZE in J on Edelweiss and found no real difference from LX. Seats definitely better than on LH.
Old Feb 19, 19, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
Yes: https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/~/m...tionhy2018.pdf

It's probably higher if you look only at LX in ZRH.
We are talking here about LX longhaul routes.
A lot of shorthaul flights at ZRH cater to PtP pax. Hence, the overall 30% ratio for ZRH airport is typically much lower than for LX longhaul. From memory, several European airlines have been quoting around 50% of transit pax on their loghaul flights. I would be surprised if the figure was lower for LX. But just a guess.
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by vantage03 View Post
SEA would be excellent and a nice upgrade to LH’s clapped out 744 flying there from FRA
ATL as an alternate to SEA?
Old Feb 22, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
ATL as an alternate to SEA?
SEA would be a great market for F (LH+LX) passengers, who can't fly F anymore on LH direct flight.
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
That's going to sound a little snobbish, but I didn't know that, for I usually fly EDW in C.

Regarding the new Longhaul destination, ICN seems to be pretty fix already to me, which only leaves the second destination which is supposed to be in America: My guess would still be on SEA, but maybe it could also be ATL as mentioned above. My hopes, however, are still on MEX!
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN, SQ QPPS2, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, SLH
Apparently 2 new destinations will be announced soon. One in Asia (ICN) and one in North America (Toronto or Washington).
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior View Post
Apparently 2 new destinations will be announced soon. One in Asia (ICN) and one in North America (Toronto or Washington).
ICN is cool, but Washington would be just boring. UA already flies to Washington! Toronto wouldn’t really be new as it is already being served by Air Canada? Both of those seem nonsensical to me.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: LH HON
If the market isn’t saturated and there are margins to be had, these aren’t destinations that present a lot of economic risk. In fact there might be those who wonder why LX doesn’t fly to IAD or YYZ or ICN given the importance of those cities to their respective countries and to the world.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Not on lx, but on edelweiss : for the next winter schedule 19/20 !
  • New : CMB
  • No more : MCO and ETH
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN & WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by Artemio View Post
Not on lx, but on edelweiss : for the next winter schedule 19/20 !
  • New : CMB
  • No more : MCO and ETH
CMB is not a new destination for WK. They will increase flights to three weekly...
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:23 am

Toronto wouldn’t really be new as it is already being served by Air Canada?
Yes AC flies YYZ-ZRH daily, and it's part of the TATL JV.

I doubt there is enough demand for a second daily YYZ-ZRH, that would either mean they swap with AC for better aircraft utilisation(free birds/better aircraft capacity at LX none at AC, or LX brings higher fares/margin and would be beneficial for the JV, or worst scenario (for me at least being based in YUL) they swap LX to YYZ from YUL - that wouldn't be an addition in terms of destination - similar to what they did with OS when introducing YUL-VIE (AC flies from YYZ instead of OS, and OS flies from YUL)
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: LX/LH, AF/KL

ICN is cool, but Washington would be just boring. UA already flies to Washington! Toronto wouldn’t really be new as it is already being served by Air Canada? Both of those seem nonsensical to me.
Toronto is served by AC with a direct flight from ZRH but to find a seat in J is always a challenge. From GVA it is via YUL so not really attractive.. An LX flight (in addition to the existing YUL flight) would be awesome and ease somewhat the situation.
IAD is not necessary IMO, well served already from GVA and ZRH, with direct flights
ICN is long overdue. it seems now pretty much written in stone, which is great

Last edited by milesfixed; Mar 15, 19 at 11:02 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 17, 19, 4:56 am

Tbh I'd rather have another new more exciting destination than either Washington or Toront. I agree that ICN, however, is great! Finally F seats again!
But for the other destinations I was hoping for something like Seattle or Mexico City.

Search this Thread