FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Swiss refund fiasco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1950368-swiss-refund-fiasco.html)

jhoffmansf Jan 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Swiss refund fiasco

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I'm looking for advice on how to resolve a dispute with Swissair about a ticket refund I am owed.

On Sunday, Dec 23, 2018 at 4:50pm, I confirmed purchase of a round-trip ticket for business class airfare (JFK - ZRH on Feb 20, 2019, returning Feb 28, 2019). I was billed $2,114.76 for the ticket and a $27.00 secure booking fee. WITHIN 24 HOURS, on Mon, 24 December, 2018 at 8:20am, I cancelled the ticket. Per the terms of the original purchase agreement, I was informed that I would be entitled to a refund of the $2,114.76 ticket price, (but not the $27.00 booking fee, which is fine).

[Statement from email confirmation: Customers who make a reservation may cancel their reservation without penalty up to 24 hours after the reservation is made, if the reservation was made seven days or more prior to the flight’s departure.]

I called Swissair customer service the day after Christmas to ask how to process the refund. I was told by the agent that I am entitled to a refund of the ticket and to submit a ticket cancellation request online. I submitted a refund request and shortly after received notification that I was only being refunded $62.16. Since then, I have called customer service multiple times and sent multiple emails to Swissair to request a refund of the remaining $2,052.60. (Original ticket price of $2,114.76 minus $62.16 refund already issued.)

I've filed a complaint with my credit card. Any other suggestions on how to get this resolved? It's very frustrating and seems very sloppy, if not illegal. It sickens me to think that they have my $2,000 and I may never get it back.

Thank you!

ced_lx Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am

You will get it back... but I'm not surprised at all about this situation.

Often1 Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am

On the one hand not that much time has passed, but on the other, this was a departure from the US and DOT's enforcement guidance is that a refund should be made within no more than 7 business days.

Forget about complaining to your card issuer and file a formal chargeback. That will force LX to either not respond (in which case you prevail), concede (in which case you prevail) or explain why you are only due what LX says is due.

If a US-based card, the filing of the chargeback will also stop all interest from accruing until the matter is resolved and will also typically result in a temporary credit so that your credit limit is unaffected.

You may also file a DOT complaint, but not likely worth the effort at this stage.

TPJ Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am

1. It is Swiss International Air Lines - Swissair went bankrupt in 2002
2. Send them the last e-mail that you are complaining to DOT
3. Give them 48 hours and really complain to DOT - they are breaking the law
4. Checking with the CC issuer, if you are eligible to chargeback the transaction might also be a good idea

Keter Feb 2, 2020 4:49 am

I cancelled a ticket booked via Orbitz within 24 hours window on 4 January 2020 and still (02 February) did not get a refund. The charge got posted successfully. I did not expect Swiss to be so stingy, even Alitalia refunds faster... The reservation is showing cancelled on swiss.com.

Update: thanks to Swiss Twitter team i rechecked and there was no charge at all, it was my confusion (there was another charge for nearly same amount which I mistaken for LX charge). So the above is not valid, apoligies!

chris63 Feb 2, 2020 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Keter (Post 32023110)
I cancelled a ticket booked via Orbitz within 24 hours window on 4 January 2020 and still (02 February) did not get a refund. The charge got posted successfully. I did not expect Swiss to be so stingy, even Alitalia refunds faster... The reservation is showing cancelled on swiss.com.

More detail helps, who did you pay Orbitz or LX, either way chargebacks via you CC provider are so easy, I would do that.

Keter Feb 3, 2020 9:52 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 32023431)
More detail helps, who did you pay Orbitz or LX, either way chargebacks via you CC provider are so easy, I would do that.

With Expedia/ Orbitz charges are directly from the airlines. It does not mean the ticket is booked directly with the airlines though. I will wait a bit then investigate, not urgent for me.

behuman Feb 5, 2020 8:10 am

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 30657351)
1. It is Swiss International Air Lines - Swissair went bankrupt in 2002
2. Send them the last e-mail that you are complaining to DOT
3. Give them 48 hours and really complain to DOT - they are breaking the law
4. Checking with the CC issuer, if you are eligible to chargeback the transaction might also be a good idea

5. Forget about any goodwill LH group airlines may extend to you in the future ;) (like SEN lifetime, award waiting list, you name it....)

Chill, it takes 6 to 8 weeks for a refund.

wildace Feb 5, 2020 11:38 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 32035431)
5. Forget about any goodwill LH group airlines may extend to you in the future ;) (like SEN lifetime, award waiting list, you name it....)

How come? They hate you for cancelling a flight and getting a refund? Or they hate everyone who is not a "pay, show up and fly, do not complain" customer?

malmostoso Feb 7, 2020 12:08 am

Originally Posted by wildace (Post 32036261)
Or they hate everyone who is not a "pay, show up and fly, do not complain" customer?

Welcome to being a customer in a DACH country...

behuman Feb 8, 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 32042774)

Still better than in South America, there they even have no word for customer service ;), just be patient and eventually you will be refunded, 6 to 8 weeks is "normal".

wildace Feb 19, 2020 9:47 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 32042774)

What is so different about a DACH country?

Concerto Feb 21, 2020 11:15 am

Customer service is definitely not amazing in DACH countries. But it depends, obviously, on what the issue is.

Keter Apr 2, 2020 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Keter (Post 32023110)

Update: thanks to Swiss Twitter team i rechecked and there was no charge at all, it was my confusion (there was another charge for nearly same amount which I mistaken for LX charge). So the above is not valid, apoligies!

I have just updated my original post to show that I was wrong so that I dont leave any false statements here.