Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting Hygiene at ZRH Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Disgusting Hygiene at ZRH Lounge

I had the pleasure of experiencing the Senator Lounge in ZRH's terminal E twice last week. While the lounge is beautiful and well-stocked with high-quality food and drinks, the hygiene of the food preparation leaves much to be desired. On both visits, I saw the chefs in the open kitchen cutting fruits and salad vegetables with bare, ungloved hands. My desire to eat the melon I just saw them handling or to eat the salad tomatoes freshly sliced by bare hands disappeared.

The same chefs also handled tacos in the same, unhygienic way. I don't think this is what the national airline of Switzerland wants to display at its flagship lounge. I looked for a manager during the several hours I spent in the lounge but did not see a recognizable supervisor or manager. Thoughts?

Last edited by manhattan92; Dec 23, 2018 at 8:09 pm
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Perhaps Swiss chefs realise gloves are not only environmentally harmful and wasteful but they can wash their hands like food prep people have been doing...forever. No one will die and the world will be just that little bit less neurotic about hygiene. Well done Swiss and your chefs.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a bizarre post. Kitchen staff tend to wash their hands.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
That's not unhygienic, unless there's some specific cross-contamination that wasn't specified by the OP.
CDTraveler, flospi, KRSW and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by manhattan92
I don't think this is what the national airline of Switzerland wants to display at its flagship lounge. I looked for a manager during the several hours I spent in the lounge but did not see a recognizable supervisor or manager. Thoughts?
AFAIK there is no requirement in Switzerland (or in the rest of Europe under EU directives) to use gloves when preparing food. The relevant law RS817.02 only prescribes that the person handling food does so with sufficient hygiene.

Using gloves in the kitchen appears to be an all-American fixation which is not supported by research. As long as the chef washes his or her hands between foods, it's fine.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wouldn’t you have to change gloves every time you handled something different?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
lol wut
mmff and NishinomiyaDada like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:38 am

Wow, what a headline! Expected reports of pure bio hazard and lots of casualties! Instead it's just chefs doing their job. Click bait.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Glad you made it out of the lounge alive.
Now you'll have a survival story to tell your grand-kids......

Hope you don't ever travel to Asia. They...... like.... slice mangoes on the street and stuff........
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:36 am

I feel sorry for the OP. He cannot travel in Europe or in Asia without major health risks.
cfischer, jetkins and GFrye like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:59 am

He was probably angry after they asked him to leave
GFrye likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I wonder if the OP has ever travelled to India. Or any country where there’s a good reason why you don’t shake hands with your left....
KRSW and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Forget India. Do you watch Chef’s Table on Netflix? Michelin star chefs definitely aren’t wearing gloves and hair masks when cooking food.
piotrger, TuaLopez and GFrye like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Wow. How did you make it far enough in life to experience such a travesty, did your mother cut the tip off a rubber glove in order to breastfeed you?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
In that case, please dont eat in restaurants in India

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.