Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed check in and Swiss refuses to rebook

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On that we can agree. LX sticks to the rules and it expects the same of its customers.

You will always know where you stand with LX. Just look at the contract and the fare rules and the published guidance and you will be absolutely fine.

I have no idea why the OP's parents turned up at the deadline and with not one split second to spare. But, I am absolutely certain that if they had been their one second early, LX would have checked them in and one second late, they would have been denied boarding.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
It should not be surprising that a for-profit business, such as LX, should seek to maximize its revenue while minimizing its cash disbursements, both within the legal framework it is bound by.

The naive notion that a company's management would say "we don't give out money when we don't have to, so let's not collect money when we don't need to" is simply not grounded in capitalist reality.

I really doubt that a US airline or hotel chain would see this any differently. In fact, with consolidation in both hotels and airlines in the US, the remaining mega-providers have gained "leverage" over customers - extract more for delivering less.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by airoli
I really doubt that a US airline or hotel chain would see this any differently.
Yeah that's totally wrong. UA's formal policy on these facts would have been to rebook OP's parents at no charge. what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

It's one thing to defend LX's policy as merely enforcing the rules. It's quite another to assert that LX's policy is industry standard, because it is not.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:04 pm

This wasn't a flat tire or any other unforeseen event. The passengers simply chose to show up at JFK with 0 minutes left to spare to the published check-in deadline.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This wasn't a flat tire or any other unforeseen event. The passengers simply chose to show up at JFK with 0 minutes left to spare to the published check-in deadline.
You might try actually reading the thread. You don't need an excuse. If you contact UA within the specified time period, they will rebook you without charge. OP's parents would have qualified. Experienced such mercy about two years when I got stuck on a conference call in the United Club LAX and missed my flight. UA GA put me on the next flight no problem. I did lose my F seat though I've had similar experience on AV when I showed up two hours after my flight departed purely through user error. Rebooked on next flight no issue. Same on DL. We stayed too long in one of the airport restaurants. Arrived at the gate just after they had closed the door. Rebooked next flight no problem.

LX is far outside the norm. Of course, this is a country where they charge you to use the "public" restroom in a train station.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 20, 2018 at 11:21 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
You might try actually reading the thread. You don't need an excuse. If you contact UA within the specified time period, they will rebook you without charge. OP's parents would have qualified. Experienced such mercy about two years when I got stuck on a conference call in the United Club LAX and missed my flight. UA GA put me on the next flight no problem. I did lose my F seat though I've had similar experience on AV when I showed up two hours after my flight departed purely through user error. Rebooked on next flight no issue. Same on DL. We stayed too long in one of the airport restaurants. Arrived at the gate just after they had closed the door. Rebooked next flight no problem.

LX is far outside the norm. Of course, this is a country where they charge you to use the "public" restroom in a train station.
I sympathize with the OP as I live in NYC and have had some terrible unexpected traffic— as in leaving Manhattan for EWR flight on SAS and disabled cars in both the Holland and Lincoln tunnels— so driver had to take the GW Bridge which was backed up just as an example — but one thing I did was call the airline from the car to check the cut off time and ask about alternatives — but I made it.

The flight tire so called rule is not a worldwide concept — some posts about BA and it is a case by case basis.

Flat Tyre Rule | Cut Off For Meal Loading | Missed Flight

BA Condition of Carriage 3c4 – Is an `Event Beyond Your Control’ an `Act of God'

Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
It should not be surprising that a for-profit business, such as LX, should seek to maximize its revenue while minimizing its cash disbursements, both within the legal framework it is bound by.
Yes and no. There is always a bigger picture.

When I travel, I usually have to go through FRA (to be avoided), MUC (now my favorite, again) or ZRH. After the new lounges opened at ZRH in E in 2016, I started to route more and more of my trips via ZRH. In 2017 and until mid-2018, I flew via ZRH at least every other week, sometimes several times a week, to the point that all of the bartenders in the SEN whisky bar knew me by name and I knew their work schedule. Then LX really inconvenienced us on a flight with the whole family (all in C) and refused to make it right, where LH would have made a much more generous offer in the same situation. The result: they minimized their „cash disbursements“ in this particular case, but none of my upcoming flights (more than 20 legs already booked for 2019, including a good number of long-hauls in C and F) are routed via ZRH. It is up to you to judge whether it made economic sense to stubbornly stick to the „we do not required to do it by law and so we don‘t“ attitude. After all, although they are not bound by European law, they operate in a European market and people have other choices.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
[It is up to you to judge whether it made economic sense to stubbornly stick to the „we do not required to do it by law and so we don‘t“ attitude. After all, although they are not bound by European law, they operate in a European market and people have other choices.
I certainly agree with that, and I encourage customers to vote with their wallets to the extent that they can.

My point simply is that I find the mentions upthread about "morals", "ethics", "fairness" etc. to be naive.

Is this cash-maximizing attitude by LX galling and short-termist? Absolutely. Is it surprising? No. Is it sustainable? We will see - the more consolidated the market, the better the chances they (= LH Group already) get away with it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
I certainly agree with that, and I encourage customers to vote with their wallets to the extent that they can.

My point simply is that I find the mentions upthread about "morals", "ethics", "fairness" etc. to be naive.

Is this cash-maximizing attitude by LX galling and short-termist? Absolutely. Is it surprising? No. Is it sustainable? We will see - the more consolidated the market, the better the chances they (= LH Group already) get away with it.
Discussion of morals, ethics and fairness is not naive. It is what brought about EU261 to begin with. Yes, from an economic and business practices standpoint, every company has to decide for itself what its policies will be given the current market conditions. No argument there. But fairness comes into it in two ways. First, as worldclubber pointed out, if a company treats a customer unfairly, it risks losing that customer for a long time. A company might decide that because it has few competitors, it can get away with that sort of mistreatment because it's unlikely that it will lose too many customers. But that's where the second point comes in. One antidote to the effects of low competition is government regulation. That's why we keep hearing about Congress threatening to regulate seat pitch, bag fees, etc. If an airline's behavior is clearly unfair, it's that much easier for politicians to push through laws that regulate it.

We can all agree that the OP should have arrived at the airport earlier. Most of us would also agree that LX's behavior towards an elderly couple, who probably are not frequent fliers, is also unacceptable. I doubt that anyone is going to push for a "flat tire law", but who knows what would happen if there were enough stories like the OP's. That is why discussion of fairness is completely relevant.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 has created the very environment which LX (as well as is fairly typical of other European carriers) has created, It is binary and a set of hard-line rules in which people who have suffered nothing more than a minor inconvenience are rewarded with a cash bonanza. Some 15 years into the process, the on-time performance of flights covered by the Regulation (all EU carriers plus all non-EU carrier departures from the EU) has not appreciably changed. Thus, it is simply a cost of doing business, But, it does not lead to any variances. Consider that if the couple had been offered a free rebooking to the later service as a courtesy, While the quick cash seems alluring, the Regulation has generated the result you see.

There are fundamental business model differences between the US and European carriers. "Flat tire" and the like are neither abstractions nor acts of "morality, ethics, or fairness." Rather, they are the product of a more fluid booking, change, and handling process.

Standing by, whether through a formal SDC, SDSB, or simply informally-handled process, as well as day-of-travel change fee waivers, are common for US carriers (although the specifics vary). Showing up at the departure airport and asking to take the earlier flight is often out of the question and likely expensive on a European carrier,

All of this results in the fact that more-often than not, the individual who no shows for a UA flight will be replaced by another passenger, perhaps even the passenger whose seat the no show will occupy later. The impact on net revenue is minimal. For LX, this is not likely the case and the seats which one skipped will likely go out empty and if a seat on the next flight is given away for free, there is a greater chance of revenue loss.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Often1
EC 261/2004 has created the very environment which LX (as well as is fairly typical of other European carriers) has created, It is binary and a set of hard-line rules in which people who have suffered nothing more than a minor inconvenience are rewarded with a cash bonanza. Some 15 years into the process, the on-time performance of flights covered by the Regulation (all EU carriers plus all non-EU carrier departures from the EU) has not appreciably changed. Thus, it is simply a cost of doing business, But, it does not lead to any variances. Consider that if the couple had been offered a free rebooking to the later service as a courtesy, While the quick cash seems alluring, the Regulation has generated the result you see.
EU261 doesn't lead to variances, fine. But there is also no particular reason why it should have lead to LX's extreme inflexibility.

There are fundamental business model differences between the US and European carriers. "Flat tire" and the like are neither abstractions nor acts of "morality, ethics, or fairness." Rather, they are the product of a more fluid booking, change, and handling process.
You are explaining the means, not the rationale for the ends. The rationale for having "more fluid" policies to begin with is presumably to accommodate customers, who are human and not machines. There is a profit motive for doing that, sure, but if you leave the individual agent some flexibility to make decisions, they will be based at least a little bit on fairness, independent of any immediate or even long term consideration of profit. Companies can be heartless automata. Individual people are less likely to be.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Sorry, but there are some factual issues here which do not help your parents. I'll be blunt, because sugar-coating won't help them.

They were presumably traveling in Y (they purchased extra leg room). The LX check-in deadline at JFK is T-75 for Y passengers. Thus, even had there been no lone, they would likely have missed check-in and even a very short line meant they were definitely too late. LX recommends arriving 3 hours prior to departure. That is not a requirement, but it is hard to argue about lines and the like when you do not follow the recommendation.

At T-75, LX would have cancelled your parents' reservations. That happens on pretty much all carriers and is likely automated. What happens next is dependent on your parents' fare rules. If these were standard discounted penalty fares and all of this was caught before departure, they are subject to paying a penalty + fare difference to be rebooked. While it would have been nice of LX to have waived the fees or the fare difference or even both, it is entirely discretionary and not typical of LX to have done so.

The $1,600 is likely made up of roughly a $300 fee and a $500 fare difference x 2. You can look at the fare rules and assure yourself that the $300 is correct and also look at their original and new fare bases to figure out whether the fare difference makes up the rest. The numbers your parents were charged are certainly in the ballpark.

While I doubt that this will do any good, they should write (perhaps you can help) a clear & concise letter explaining what happened. But, they need to get the facts much more clear than in your OP. Arriving at the last second as you say they did would have been a problem for an Olympic athlete as much as for an elderly traveler. If the numbers are correct, theirs is a plea for mercy. If the numbers are wrong, then it is a demand for a refund.

Finally, I see the entire Expedia and who is responsible for assisting as a red herring. It doesn't matter and the fact is that when you called, LX helped out.

Not to berate you or your parents, but because this is a public forum, cutting deadlines too close is always problematic. It is even worse when someone is inexperienced and perhaps a little less able to sprint around. Better to take the carrier's suggestions than to show up as check in is closing and hope that there will be no line of any kind.
I don’t know why you assume they flouted the airline suggestions. They left 4 hours in advance. Massive traffic jams occurred.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:52 am
Original Poster

This isn't even a "flat tire". The parents simply arrived at the check-in deadline. Perhaps they missed the fact that JFK is a 75-minute deadline in Y (60 minutes in F/J). But, there is no explanation provided for their tardiness. To be frank, one piece of advice for anyone who is a bit slower or less experienced is to simply allow more time.
They left 4 hours in advance. NYC was ensnarled in traffic jams way beyond what is typical. The one hour trip to JFK turned into many times that. So yes this was a “flat-tire” situation.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by Lizzieroe

They left 4 hours in advance. NYC was ensnarled in traffic jams way beyond what is typical. The one hour trip to JFK turned into many times that. So yes this was a “flat-tire” situation.
No it is not a flat-tire situation, as traffic jams in New York are very common, especially during rush hour.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

The naive notion that a company's management would say "we don't give out money when we don't have to, so let's not collect money when we don't need to" is simply not grounded in capitalist reality.

I really doubt that a US airline or hotel chain would see this any differently. In fact, with consolidation in both hotels and airlines in the US, the remaining mega-providers have gained "leverage" over customers - extract more for delivering less.
This only makes sense if you treat everyone as a one-time customer, instead of someone whose repeat business you seek to acquire. They’ve lost my business. As a frequent flier, most often in business, they certainly lost more than they gained in this instance. Good customer service is usually smart for profits too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.