LX359 Cancelled

Old Dec 18, 18, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum
LX359 Cancelled

I have just been emailed to say my flight tomorrow (19 Dec) has been cancelled, and I have been rebooked on BA730 which leaves over 3 hours later. I am trying to see what the reason is for this cancellation but I can't seem to find the info anywhere...anybody have any tips?
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Nothing on Expert Flyer
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have been looking everywhere but cannot find any info.

Another question for the FT Community: I can book a flight using Avios on BA that departs at the time I would prefer it to, i.e, the time of the cancelled flight. Should I just let my trip be cut short by 4 hours and claim the standard €250, or should I book a replacement flight and claim that back as well? (does it even work like this...?)

THanks
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Has LX refused to book you on the earlier BA flight? That would seem odd if there is availability. I would certainly have elevated this when refused.

However, you will not have a successful claim for the cost of a new ticket on another carrier.
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

They did this automatically but will get in touch with them. The almost identical BA flight costs £500 (!!) but there is one about an hour later that they didn't put me on.
Old Dec 18, 18, 2:00 pm

The autorebooking algorithm is useful in that it assures that you are protected on some flight, but it is far from dispositive.

It won't cost LX any more to put you on the earlier BA than the later flight because fare buckets are not relevant to IRROPS interline rebookings. If there is space, it should be yours. However, I would not wait to do this. Others on your cancelled flight may act first and then there will be no space.
Old Dec 18, 18, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Managed to get booked on an earlier flight, albeit still 3hrs later than my original flight. The rep was adamant that the others were fully booked. Thanks for the advice
Old Dec 18, 18, 6:58 pm

Don't take the phone agent's word for anything. Look online. If there is availability on earlier flights, call back and ask to be placed on an earlier flight. If there is still push back, ask for the agent's manager and offer to add BA to a 3-way call.
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:19 am
Original Poster

I know I could push further on it but the phone calls took two hours and was reminiscent of trying to deal with Iberia...
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Any news on why the flight was cancelled? I see it's the second time in a row already...
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:58 am
Original Poster

There’s still nothing on ExpertFlyer. LX358 last night was also cancelled.
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:31 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
Any news on why the flight was cancelled? I see it's the second time in a row already...
Seems like LX’s ‘difficult Summer ‘ never ended
bawm likes this.
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:43 am
Original Poster

I have read a lot about Swiss not quite being in the EU and so avoiding some aspects of EU261. Am I correct that I should be entitled to compensation here because my origin is the UK, which is inside the EU?
Old Dec 19, 18, 6:50 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Whether you are due compensation depends on the amout of arrival delay at your destination and the reason for the flight cancellation.

But given that you depart the UK, which is (for now) part of the EU, you can pursue this with LX under the stricter EU interpretation of 261/04, rather than the Swiss courts' interpretation.
Old Dec 19, 18, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

if I had to speculate, it would probably be a low flight load. Aircraft appears to have switch to a Bombardier from an A320 before being cancelled. When I checked in and went to select seats, there were only 5 other seats blocked out.

Search this Thread