Swiss - Flight Passport Issues

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
You might be able to get away by spending those 18 hrs in the airport without entering Switzerland. It sucks as you have a young child - but as ZRH is open 24/7 this might work.

Good luck!
No, that won't work. This is not a question of where OP and his son spend the 19 hours, it is a question of Switzerland's requirements.

More importantly, once denied boarding at SFO, unless there are other complicating factors, OP's son should have a new passport in a few hours the next morning or perhaps the next day if he needs to have documents sent to him from home.

Last edited by Often1; Dec 16, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by KLouis
No luck to be... expected: it will not work, since they will not let the child board the flight!
Why wouldn't they? The six months validity requirement is for Schengen entry.
For airport transit, the passport needs to be only 3 months valid, which the childs passport is.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by vbroucek
You are barking on the wrong tree... It is your responsibility to ave a pasport that is valid according to various rules...

Why do I see here on FT so many Indians complaining about clearly stated rules?
Inappropriate and unnecessary. Also the pax in question who's passport caused the denied boarding has a US Passport as is clearly stated in the OP.
snic likes this.

Last edited by totti; Dec 18, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Also the pax in question who's passport caused the denied boarding has a US Passport as is clearly stated in the OP.
Yes, and the OP is called VIshal and is flying to BOM.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Yes, and the OP is called VIshal and is flying to BOM.
So what? I just landed in BOM three days ago and was chatting to another pax who's name was Ankith. He had an American passport
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Why wouldn't they? The six months validity requirement is for Schengen entry.
For airport transit, the passport needs to be only 3 months valid, which the childs passport is.
But its not valid for three months, he posted on december 15th and +3 months would be March 15th, but the childs passport expires on February 24th.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
So what? I just landed in BOM three days ago and was chatting to another pax who's name was Ankith. He had an American passport
Indian chap, right?

Originally Posted by Nick Art
But its not valid for three months, he posted on december 15th and +3 months would be March 15th, but the childs passport expires on February 24th.
Oh, right. For some reason I thought it was 5 months valid.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
I moved this thread to the LX subforum.

Have a nice day,
totti
co-moderator M&M forum
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:00 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Sorry for what happened to you.

Regarding document requirements LX/LH are quite strict and even in cases where all is correct their not so nice subcontracted checking personnel at the gate tend to refuse boarding in cases they are not enough knowledgeable about. In my experience they never listen and have no direct access to TIMATIC. Never missed a flight so far, but some were delayed because of their incompetence which was followed by a profusely apologizing LX/LH crew.
My impression is that those subcontractors are under heavy pressure and their staff enjoy their position as "fake" immigration officers as well as their lack of knowledge.

As seasoned travellers I would only recommend to all FTers to renew a passport anytime when validity is below 1 year and/or less than 5 blank pages left.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: LXFF
Originally Posted by behuman
As seasoned travellers I would only recommend to all FTers to renew a passport anytime when validity is below 1 year and/or less than 5 blank pages left.
Words of wisdom. Always google VISA requirements as well. At the very least it will avoid delays when you land.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.