Search

New booking classes from 2019 LH group

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
New booking classes from 2019 LH group

Saw this in 20min this morning:

https://www.20min.ch/finance/news/story/Das-heisst-das-neue-Swiss-Preismodell-fuer-Kunden-28350588

Seems like the current pricing system was too transparent :-)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by bobhope2
Seems like the current pricing system was too transparent :-)
Yeah, there were still a dozen people world-wide who understood it. Who would want that?
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Geez.

well honestly - I think it's about time someone went and did away with fare classes.

Only two things I'm worried about.
1. What about the upper bound... not that it's reached often, but sometimes, yes.
2. How will that translate to mileage earnings, especially with partners. I suppose we could get fare bucket "bands" instead of fares as we have now. Which might actually work well, if the airlines will pull the fare type surcharge into consideration. Paying up for flex or classic might be more worth it.

We would have a problem if airlines started offering personalized prices. But they could do that with existing fare class structure just as easily.

As to the articles doom and gloom that the prices will go up...
Prices will be what the market will bear - Lufthansa Group isn't known for shoddy revenue management. Whether the pricing steps will be now not be 20EUR but 10 or 5 is really no difference.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: LX SEN
<speculation>moving further away from clearly defined fare buckets seems to be another step towards revenue based status miles in Miles & More </speculation>
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by LaxAttack
<speculation>moving further away from clearly defined fare buckets seems to be another step towards revenue based status miles in Miles & More </speculation>
Certainly hope not !

Its like a lottery now how many award miles the tickets earn. Don’t want that for status also.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
It is just ridiculous. It is all too complicated, you need to be an expert to be able to understand all fare systems, booking classes and the miles awarded for them. I think LH group did a good job when they finally merged all booking classes (OS, LX, LH, SN, EW) under one roof, but all the rest was total mess. Now they have those stupid "fare families" and even if you book an expensive M class, you could easily be with 0 bags allowance because there is "Light" fare family. You pay 800€ for a flight within EU and you cannot check one bag??? Thank you, but no!
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You certainly need an equivalent of a university degree to deal with the airlines these days, and I think that is unfair on the infrequent flyer. But the pricing system, somehow uncomfortably stuck between a fare class based system and a revenue based system, is extremely unclear and untenable in the long run I think. Some other solution, undoubtedly a compromise on the existing mess that come into being earlier this year (2018), needs to be found.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Concerto
You certainly need an equivalent of a university degree to deal with the airlines these days, and I think that is unfair on the infrequent flyer. But the pricing system, somehow uncomfortably stuck between a fare class based system and a revenue based system, is extremely unclear and untenable in the long run I think. Some other solution, undoubtedly a compromise on the existing mess that come into being earlier this year (2018), needs to be found.
Untenable for those of us who grew up into the current system of fare classes. But we've already been weaned out of the miles=miles world we started in. The concept of being rewarded for what you pay, and what you pay being infinitely variable with demand, isn't a welcome change. But it's a pretty simple approach for newcomers to understand. It might not work in our favour, but us oldcomers will soon get the hang of it ...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Maybe, but I just don't think it works massively well. The endless problems at M&M this year show it was anything but smooth. It really is a pain having to reclaim miles like I never had to before (I always wait one month). As for the fare classes, it's totally inconsistent, sometimes crediting the old way. I think they have to do a huge amount of the work manually.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
It is just ridiculous. It is all too complicated, you need to be an expert to be able to understand all fare systems, booking classes and the miles awarded for them. I think LH group did a good job when they finally merged all booking classes (OS, LX, LH, SN, EW) under one roof, but all the rest was total mess. Now they have those stupid "fare families" and even if you book an expensive M class, you could easily be with 0 bags allowance because there is "Light" fare family. You pay 800€ for a flight within EU and you cannot check one bag??? Thank you, but no!
Originally Posted by Concerto
I believe on the other hand that uncoupling fare classes is in fact much simpler to deal with for an infrequent flyer.

A ticket costs X. A ticket with a bag costs X+50. You get 6X miles.
That is simple and transparent.

Much easier to figure than a ticket costs X, and does not include a bag, unless X>Y in which case it does include a bag.
And you sometimes get 125 miles and sometimes 750, even if the other ticket is cheaper, because for that specific fare, buying a connection in H on LH is more expensive than buying the same connection in T on OS.

Course all that means it's worse for us who can and do take advantage of the system.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

They are not creating new booking classes, but installing dynamic pricing so the jumps when one booking class is full is not so dramatic. for example today if K is full the next bucket in L is 100€ more. This will repeal buyers. Dynamic pricing will just make it 10-20€ more, in line with a ryanair or easyjet fare.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Any chance if demand is weak that they lower the price by €10-20?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.