Swiss cancelled my flight.. and is refusing to compensate me

Old Mar 3, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by mywaterbroke View Post
Not exactly accurate. My original itinerary included the stopover. I had meetings in ZRH. Swiss are the ones who decided to do without the stopover in my original booking and rebook me directly to LON, without even asking. I then had to spend time and money on calls to get myself rebooked onto a flight to ZRH and all this happened before my original cancelled flight was scheduled to take off. As expected all flights on the day I was meant to fly were full (or so I was told) and they could only offer the LH option the following day via FRA after a lot of looking around (which I didnít even take in the end because they then decided to put me back on LX AFTER I CHECKED IN with LH, claiming that LH was overbooked and LX suddenly had seats). My final destination remained LON and I arrived in both ZRH and LON a day late. As per EU261, I am entitled to compensation which I also eventually got. But I had to almost go to court for it and that says all about their customer service
If you have a proper stopover, then the destination would have been Zurich, but if you only had a long transfer, then it would have been London.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 19, 10:10 am
Hyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
"Your flight LX181 on 16 June 2019 unfortunately had to be cancelled at short notice. On behalf of SWISS and our cooperation partners, I apologize for the inconvenience you had as a result. I have checked the reason of the cancellation of your flight and can inform you that SWISS will grant you a compensation to the amount of EUR 600.00 each. On receiving your IBAN, the total amount of CHF 1 332.00 (EUR 1 200.00) will be transferred to your account within 14 days."

I sent an e-mail June 27 with my bank account information. I did not receive payment so I e-mailed them again ([email protected]) on July 18. No answer, I e-mailed again July 23, July 25, and now today, and they are still stonewalling me.

Any suggestions for more aggressive methods before contacting a solicitor?

I am appalled at their behavior and this will most likely affect my flight booking patterns in the future. Not to mention the information above in this thread from other people.
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
"Your flight LX181 on 16 June 2019 unfortunately had to be cancelled at short notice. On behalf of SWISS and our cooperation partners, I apologize for the inconvenience you had as a result. I have checked the reason of the cancellation of your flight and can inform you that SWISS will grant you a compensation to the amount of EUR 600.00 each. On receiving your IBAN, the total amount of CHF 1 332.00 (EUR 1 200.00) will be transferred to your account within 14 days."

I sent an e-mail June 27 with my bank account information. I did not receive payment so I e-mailed them again ([email protected]) on July 18. No answer, I e-mailed again July 23, July 25, and now today, and they are still stonewalling me.

Any suggestions for more aggressive methods before contacting a solicitor?

I am appalled at their behavior and this will most likely affect my flight booking patterns in the future. Not to mention the information above in this thread from other people.
Perhaps start with a complaint to FOCA?
Old Jul 26, 19, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Did they unilaterally offer you compensation or did you fill out their claim form? I have never received EU compensation for any of the dozen or so cancelled/delayed flights.

Also, as Sen, I am afraid of going down the legal route in case of some kind of backlash. Do you know if that has ever happened to anybody?
Old Jul 26, 19, 10:41 pm

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
Originally Posted by bobhope2 View Post
Did they unilaterally offer you compensation or did you fill out their claim form? I have never received EU compensation for any of the dozen or so cancelled/delayed flights.

Also, as Sen, I am afraid of going down the legal route in case of some kind of backlash. Do you know if that has ever happened to anybody?
I filled out the claim form and this is when they offered the compensation.

I am also aware that as a SEN this might limit the future scope of my relationship with LX, not that I am so interested to continue flying with them again at this point in time. Several years ago after mistreatment by British Airways, I voluntarily stopped flying with them and I have not missed a beat. LX/LH would be a bit more challenging to avoid however but I can always use Aeroplan for the odd LX/LH flight.

I was mostly wondering if people have used other options successfully besides legal avenues, for example pressure via messages on social media to outline the details of what happened. Or will they stonewall me just as well.
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:06 am

Where I come from, these things take time. The organization I work for typically pays three months after invoices are received. But why don't you just call your local ticketing office? As a SEN, you are entitled to better service, just talk to a person and express your dissatisfaction.

Shuly
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Email is a terrible way to communicate. Call. Make it very simple and focus on what you want, e.g., the status of the payment which was due around the first. Could it have been misdirected, fraudulently transmitted? Make this about LX's own system having made an error.

If you stop flying a carrier every time something is not up to your way of thinking, in this world you are left with one choice: private charters.
chris63 and ParisMoskau like this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by shuly View Post
Where I come from, these things take time. The organization I work for typically pays three months after invoices are received. But why don't you just call your local ticketing office? As a SEN, you are entitled to better service, just talk to a person and express your dissatisfaction.
Shuly
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Email is a terrible way to communicate. Call. Make it very simple and focus on what you want, e.g., the status of the payment which was due around the first. Could it have been misdirected, fraudulently transmitted? Make this about LX's own system having made an error.

If you stop flying a carrier every time something is not up to your way of thinking, in this world you are left with one choice: private charters.
Thanks both for the feedback. Actually I don't mind waiting 2-3 months for payment, but as long as I am told it's going to be 2-3 months. Given comments earlier in this thread, I suspect the issue is rather that LX forces people to go to court to get their money as a heavy handed strategy. Otherwise, a simple e-mail to tell me in one line that it will take xx time and I would just wait without a second thought. However they are stonewalling me now after responding lightning quick early on, hence my suspicions about what is happening - anyway I will give them another chance by phone and see where it goes.

Regarding stopping to fly one carrier, yes there are limits to this but so far in 20 years I banned BA and US Air back in the day, and I could manage just fine particularly when the issue is deep rooted rather than only one bad incident. It's much easier to not go against the grain and just do business with who you are comfortable with instead. But I agree if someone starts to ban 8-10 airlines then perhaps the problem is the customer himself
Old Jul 27, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
[QUOTE=escape4;31348410]Thanks both for the feedback. Actually I don't mind waiting 2-3 months for payment, but as long as I am told it's going to be 2-3 months. Given comments earlier in this thread, I suspect the issue is rather that LX forces people to go to court to get their money as a heavy handed strategy. Otherwise, a simple e-mail to tell me in one line that it will take xx time and I would just wait without a second thought. However they are stonewalling me now after responding lightning quick early on, hence my suspicions about what is happening - anyway I will give them another chance by phone and see where it goes.
/QUOTE]

Itís very strange that your not receiving a response, since they correctly state they will pay you the required compensation, LX SEN number is +41 0 445641011 & LX SEN emails is [email protected]

This is a case where LX really ought to have a Lurker, very poor that was enhanced away...
Old Jul 27, 19, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Itís very strange that your not receiving a response, since they correctly state they will pay you the required compensation, LX SEN number is +41 0 445641011 & LX SEN emails is [email protected]

This is a case where LX really ought to have a Lurker, very poor that was enhanced away...
A Lurker would be handy right now. Not sure if the e-mail you provided is going to the same destination but I replied to their e-mail coming from [email protected] which is a bit different than yours.

Does Swiss have an active presence on Facebook, Twitter?
Old Jul 27, 19, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
A Lurker would be handy right now. Not sure if the e-mail you provided is going to the same destination but I replied to their e-mail coming from [email protected] which is a bit different than yours.

Does Swiss have an active presence on Facebook, Twitter?
The email I provided for you is the SEN contact as is the telephone number, LX outsourced so much those are the contacts I would use as SEN, if it fails let me know & I will try to assist
Old Jul 27, 19, 3:07 pm

Sometimes it just takes time. Few years ago I also claimed compensation from lx. Sometimes they would answer after days and sometimes after weeks. Summer is probably a busy time for them too.
Old Jul 27, 19, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by dtbe View Post
Sometimes it just takes time. Few years ago I also claimed compensation from lx. Sometimes they would answer after days and sometimes after weeks. Summer is probably a busy time for them too.
That should not be the case for a SEN with an existing case number.
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Swiss is the absolute worst in matters of compensation. Been SEN for 14+ years, onky claim when really a pb and always got the same answer which is around safety (never any proof).

last time i flew from Rome to jfk with a stopever in zurich. I ended up arriving one day after planned arrival because of a number of delayed departure and missed connections and cancellations.

I wrote to ENAC in italy after swiss refusal and they tole me that Swiss was obliged to pay and therefore would contact me to pay which they never did. I am now in a procedure with airhelp and it has reached lawsuit status so yeah they dont like to pay.
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:50 am

I called a few days ago and told them that all my e-mails are being unanswered. They said they will follow up. Still no sign of the money in my account. I continue to believe they are stonewalling me, whether it's e-mail or phone, although I can give them another couple of weeks and see what happens until I call again. Given the experience of others in this thread, including the new report from @TheHak I suspect they will give me the run-around to avoid paying until I take action. Very unprofessional and dishonest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: