Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odds of getting an a220 instead of an a319

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Odds of getting an a220 instead of an a319

Flying March 10th ZRH - FCO and it’s an old a319. I looked for fleet replacement information but it’s not very fresh. Anybody has some insight?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Yul67
Flying March 10th ZRH - FCO and it’s an old a319. I looked for fleet replacement information but it’s not very fresh. Anybody has some insight?
Good chance it will change to an A320 by then or even one of the very new Embraers, A319 at LX are not that old, until recently on that route you could have had a F100 operated for LX by Helvetic......
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:14 am
Original Poster

That puts things in perspective I guess. I would obviously prefer flying an a319 than an older plane but if possible, i wouldn’t pass on anything newer.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by chris63

Good chance it will change to an A320 by then or even one of the very new Embraers, A319 at LX are not that old, until recently on that route you could have had a F100 operated for LX by Helvetic......
Not as old as perhaps some of the MD80 in the US, or the classic B747 flying in Iran, but LX A319 fleet was supposed to have been phased out already, they are from 1996-97...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The chance of getting an Airbus A220 is extremely low.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
The chance of getting an Airbus A220 is extremely low.
Except at LX who have 24 of them.

As this is the renamed Cseries...
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: LH M+M
25 by wikipedia.. and:
The aircraft are based in Geneva and Zurich flying on trunk business routes like Amsterdam, Birmingham, Budapest, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Lisbon, London Heathrow, Luxembourg, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Nice, Oslo, Paris CDG, Stuttgart, and even recently started flying the steep approach to London City, which would be a special trip to take for any first flight on the type.
This is from August.. no Rome/FCO.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
25 by wikipedia.. and:
The aircraft are based in Geneva and Zurich flying on trunk business routes like Amsterdam, Birmingham, Budapest, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Lisbon, London Heathrow, Luxembourg, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Nice, Oslo, Paris CDG, Stuttgart, and even recently started flying the steep approach to London City, which would be a special trip to take for any first flight on the type.
This is from August.. no Rome/FCO.
i saw that info when it was published but I also read elsewhere that the a319 would all be phased out somewhere in 2018. Me think I will only have my definitive answer when i board the plane in March 🤔
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
There is a good chance that an A319 will be upgauged to a A320 or A321, depending on demand.

Less chance of a switch to an CS100 / CS300 except for IRROPS, since it's a different fleet.

And on a side-note: "Old" is always relative for commercial aircraft. The OP is from YUL, where the local airline flies some of the oldest A32x out there...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
LH itself stil flies two A320s from 1989, and while I can't be sure if I'd flown on any of these, I'm sure I've flown at least on one from the early 90s batch, and I could scarcely tell the difference from the NEO, except for a slight difference in sound

All interiors are updated and the airplanes are very well maintained. No reason to even consider the age.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
LH itself stil flies two A320s from 1989, and while I can't be sure if I'd flown on any of these, I'm sure I've flown at least on one from the early 90s batch, and I could scarcely tell the difference from the NEO, except for a slight difference in sound

All interiors are updated and the airplanes are very well maintained. No reason to even consider the age.
Good point, in fact jI ust got off a flight today with one of the 1990 build A320 (D-AIP* series) which didn’t look at all like its age, except for a bit of worn carpet in the aisle. The crew was younger than the plane...
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichielR

Not as old as perhaps some of the MD80 in the US, or the classic B747 flying in Iran, but LX A319 fleet was supposed to have been phased out already, they are from 1996-97...
Certainly, although the A319 at LX look quite young because they are kept in such good condition or at least appear that way.
I did’nt enjoy my F100 flights on Helvetic & HB-JVC is from 1994
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Well maybe the term "old" started a debate bigger than anticipated. I'll take an A319 over a CRJ200 anytime regardless of how old the A319 could be. That being said, if per chance I could try the A220 (or CSeries as proud Canadian as I may be), I would jump on the occasion in an instant. Well I will follow the news on FT to see if SWISS updates their fleet info in the coming months.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yul67
Well maybe the term "old" started a debate bigger than anticipated. I'll take an A319 over a CRJ200 anytime regardless of how old the A319 could be. That being said, if per chance I could try the A220 (or CSeries as proud Canadian as I may be), I would jump on the occasion in an instant. Well I will follow the news on FT to see if SWISS updates their fleet info in the coming months.
Sure, we are Flying enthusiasts

Its such a short hop & due to operational reasons on the day including load you could get any of the SH fleet & that’s a lot of aircraft type for LX to chose from, when it includes Helvetic.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:46 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by airoli
There is a good chance that an A319 will be upgauged to a A320 or A321, depending on demand.

Less chance of a switch to an CS100 / CS300 except for IRROPS, since it's a different fleet.

And on a side-note: "Old" is always relative for commercial aircraft. The OP is from YUL, where the local airline flies some of the oldest A32x out there...
I'd say anything from a 319 to 321, plus 320 Edelweiss or CSeries could operate. LX frequently shuffles the program around even on the previous day. The only exception to that is ex-GVA (other than ZRH-GVA) where a CSeries is pretty much guaranteed (other than irrops requiring another aircraft type).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.