FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Newbie Question Overbooking in First? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1939865-overbooking-first.html)

Vixit Nov 10, 2018 7:58 am

Overbooking in First?

I’ve flown a fair amount of revenue First on Swiss this year, but not faced this before: although Swiss is still selling one more seat, the seatmap is completely crossed out as ”reserved”. I’d suspect the cabin is then actually full and I would get a seat if someone else changes or cancels?

I know this is regular practice in Economy and Business, but for some reason I had not expected the same in First (naive?). What if we all show up to the flight then, they will downgrade one of us to Business? Any experience in the forum with overbooked Swiss First cabins?

Unterwegs Nov 10, 2018 8:29 am

LX usually blocks seats in F, sometimes about half of the cabin. The seatmap is no indication of how full F is. Just call and you can usually get one of the blocked seats.

The Wolf Nov 10, 2018 8:31 am

Have you checked availability on expertflyer?
Some seats could be reserved/blocked for other reasons. If I'm correct this could be for HON (2A if I'm not mistaken), 2G for possible Air Marshall, 2K for crewrest etc.

Vixit Nov 10, 2018 8:45 am

Had never used Expertflyer before, but checked it out now: says 2G blocked, four seats taken and three seats available... The Swiss app and website say no seats are free for selection and only one more ticket for sale (selecting 2 travelers puts ticket availability to zero).

Weird.

It’s for LX177 SIN-ZRH on 3 December, btw.

worldclubber Nov 10, 2018 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Vixit (Post 30414981)
Had never used Expertflyer before, but checked it out now: says 2G blocked, four seats taken and three seats available... The Swiss app and website say no seats are free for selection and only one more ticket for sale (selecting 2 travelers puts ticket availability to zero).

Weird.

Not so weird, really. They block seats for pax with small children, for pax with animals, for relief pilots etc. Still "lots" of room on your flight.

rosenkavalier Nov 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Weird.

if there are 3 seats showing as available on the seat map on expertflyer, but only 1 seat available for sale, then perhaps 2 people are booked but just didn't assign their seats?
that would be the only logical explanation I can think of...
2G is also blocked on my upcoming flight in F on the 77W

Vixit Nov 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier (Post 30415970)
2G is also blocked on my upcoming flight in F on the 77W

I sat in 2K last week, 2G was then empty. Going back I was in Business, received an F upgrade refund and was told one seat in F was broken. Didn’t think of comparing the aircraft sign between the two flights, though.

The Wolf Nov 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Weird.

It indeed is F1A0, so other pax have not yet assigned seats.
To select unavailable/blocked seats best chance is by calling Swiss, although some may only be released shortly before the flight.

SK AAR Nov 11, 2018 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Vixit (Post 30416285)
Going back I was in Business, received an F upgrade refund and was told one seat in F was broken.

Downgrade comp. or fare refund? How much?

Vixit Nov 11, 2018 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 30417604)
Downgrade comp. or fare refund? How much?

Sorry I was unclear, my return was booked in Business, I had upgraded it to First with miles but got them back (and traveled in my original Business seat) as the F class seat was reported broken. I was informed about this when picking up the boarding pass in SIN - better than realizing it in-flight, especially as I couldn’t spot any unassigned Business class seat once onboard.

chris63 Nov 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Vixit (Post 30417694)

Sorry I was unclear, my return was booked in Business, I had upgraded it to First with miles but got them back (and traveled in my original Business seat) as the F class seat was reported broken. I was informed about this when picking up the boarding pass in SIN - better than realizing it in-flight, especially as I couldn’t spot any unassigned Business class seat once onboard.

I think that’s an involuntary downgrade, you had paid for your F seat with miles, if the seat assigned to you was broken it’s LX problem. Did you check if your original F seat was occupied ?

MichielR Nov 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30419598)

I think that’s an involuntary downgrade, you had paid for your F seat with miles, if the seat assigned to you was broken it’s LX problem. Did you check if your original F seat was occupied ?

Only if the upgrade was confirmed before. My last upgrade requests with LX they had withdrawn vouchers or miles from my account but the flight did not confirm in F, until checkin - or not at all & the vouchers/miles were redeposited.

Flights went out 8/8 in F, there is a lot of demand for F in Switzerland obviously.

chris63 Nov 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 30419949)

Only if the upgrade was confirmed before. My last upgrade requests with LX they had withdrawn vouchers or miles from my account but the flight did not confirm in F, until checkin - or not at all & the vouchers/miles were redeposited.

Flights went out 8/8 in F, there is a lot of demand for F in Switzerland obviously.

Indeed, I was assuming the OP was confirmed in F , since OP stated informed of the seat issue at check in desk in SIN.

Not been on a LX flight for quite a while that did not end up full in F.

Nick Art Nov 12, 2018 12:19 am

Swiss does furthermore have the weird rule that only 80% of seats can be assigned before check in, hence 20% must remain free. In F that means only 6 out of 8 seats can be assigned online, for the rest one must call.

Vixit Nov 13, 2018 3:22 am

To close my own thread... I called Swiss:

- One more ticket is available for sale
- No seat is free for selection in the ”public” system
- 2G is always blocked for SEN/HON and this is the seat that I will get if I book. It is the only seat available on the flight I am looking at. Similarly, on another date 2D is shown as the only free seat in the public view, but 2G is then actually also available.

When logged in as SEN, 2G is not shown to me as available for selection, so perhaps the call center agent should have said that it is HON block rather than SEN/HON block. I wonder if an HON would actually see the seat as open for selection directly, or if one always has to call. These days most companies try to push as many interactions as possible to online channels, but apparently not Swiss.