FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Newbie Question Advice kindly sought • upgrade pricing volatility on LX short-haul flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1939344-advice-kindly-sought-upgrade-pricing-volatility-lx-short-haul-flights.html)

Scoob72 Nov 7, 2018 1:08 am

Advice kindly sought • upgrade pricing volatility on LX short-haul flights

Firstly, many thanks for reading this -- I greatly appreciate it.

Do any FTers have experience of upgrading Swiss revenue flights from economy to J paying cash? More specifically, would anyone know if there is a tried-and-trusted pattern for the price volatility of such upgrades, with particular emphasis on close-in upgrades, i.e. from roughly 2 weeks out up until the date of departure?

I ask simply as the price of a one-way upgrade from LHR-ZRH had been GBP 71.00 for several weeks. Then, about five days ago, it went up to GBP 85.00. Then, until today, for the last two days it had shot up to GBP 117.00. Today it is back to GBP 85.00. For clarity, my departure is in 9 days' time.

As a result, I just wondered whether there might be a reliable pattern when it comes to Swiss upgrades and whether the cheapest £71.00 upgrade cost might return, say, within 48 hours of departure or something like that?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thank you. :)

airoli Nov 7, 2018 1:15 am

The short answer is no - there is no reliable pattern. The upgrade prices are opportunistically driven by the revenue mangement system trying to maximize the overall revenue generated on the flight.

As such, they are constantly adjusted to reflect the current load predictions in both cabins. When the booking count changes, so does the upgrade price. Furthermore, I assume that the price also takes into account your existing fare base.

Either way, why would you want to upgrade a 90min LHR-ZRH flight, where you get a small snack and sit in the same seat as in the back? Lounge? Extra bags? (I am not sure if buying an upgrade would change your baggage allowance...)

sophialite Nov 7, 2018 1:49 am

If there was a reliable way to predict this you would be a billionaire.

Scoob72 Nov 7, 2018 3:07 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 30403086)
The short answer is no - there is no reliable pattern. The upgrade prices are opportunistically driven by the revenue mangement system trying to maximize the overall revenue generated on the flight.

As such, they are constantly adjusted to reflect the current load predictions in both cabins. When the booking count changes, so does the upgrade price. Furthermore, I assume that the price also takes into account your existing fare base.

Either way, why would you want to upgrade a 90min LHR-ZRH flight, where you get a small snack and sit in the same seat as in the back? Lounge? Extra bags? (I am not sure if buying an upgrade would change your baggage allowance...)

airoli -- many thanks indeed for the input. I suspected as much, but it's good to know definitively that there is no pattern. I guess I'm no billionaire yet. :) Much appreciated. ;) All the best.