Checked bags ZRH-TLV-IST-CAI-DXB-BKK

Old Oct 26, 18, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Checked bags ZRH-TLV-IST-CAI-DXB-BKK

Hi, we're going on a little bit of a milk run for an RTW. Will Swiss check our bags all the way to BKK, or worst case perhaps manually transferring once or twice? Any tips such as asking them to "interline" the bags? All stops are less than 24h, only short connection is at IST, ~3hr, airlines are:

LX ZRH-TLV
TK TLV-IST
TK IST-CAI
MS CAI-DXB
TG DXB-BKK

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 18, 12:25 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
To the best of my knowledge there are no intl. transfer facilities in TLV, neither for pax nor for bags, due to the special security proceedures there. I believe you will have to immigrate in TLV, claim your bags, and start over.

I would also not trust the TK/MS connection in CAI and reclaim my bags there.
Old Oct 31, 18, 3:38 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
To the best of my knowledge there are no intl. transfer facilities in TLV, neither for pax nor for bags, due to the special security proceedures there. I believe you will have to immigrate in TLV, claim your bags, and start over.
This is not correct, search the web and FT, multiple posts on this.
BUT i do agree that it is not a good idea to transfer in TLV, allow yourself a very long connection.
Old Nov 1, 18, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

FYI, for future reference, we arrived in BKK this morning and had no major issues with our bag:

- The LX agent in ZRH assured us it would go all the way to BKK, he had to put two barcode tags on the bag, with three flights each. He said his "internal" documents showed they will be automatically transferred in TLV
- however when we arrived in TLV, sure enough the bag showed up the on carousel
- so we stored the bag at the airport for the day while we went sightseeing (some reports out there of people just leaving them on the carousel, as the airport staff will eventually take them to lost and found and contact you to reclaim it)
- we dropped bag off at TLV for check-in, TK agent replaced the tags with BKK destination
- we never saw the bags again until BKK, at some point a new "TK transfer" label was stuck onto the tag, not sure of the purpose
- since our itinerary was so complicated most agents get confused about the less than 24 hour connections and initially tell you it's not possible

As far as checking in and printing boarding passes:
- ZRH printed boarding passes for the first three flights
- at CAI we did the free transit visa and paid pyramid tour with Karnat, when we arrived back to the airport EgyptAir had our next two boarding passes ready

Other info:
- we didn't notice any delays or difference going in and out of TLV vs. all the stories on the Internet blogs and forums. A quick passport check to get in, and the brief interview just before the checkin/bag drop desk. No manual bag checks.
- the only annoyance was CAI wouldn't let us through security until 4 hours prior to flight time, as we arrived back early from the tour, so we were stuck sitting in the no-mans-land departure hall for a few hours, I'm not so sure the armed guards would have let us sit outside on the bench, but didn't bother asking. No free internet access and just a burger king.

Last edited by bob04619; Nov 1, 18 at 10:28 am
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Glad to hear you - and your bags! - made it.
Originally Posted by bob04619 View Post
Other info:
- we didn't notice any delays or difference going in and out of TLV vs. all the stories on the Internet blogs and forums. A quick passport check to get in, and the brief interview just before the checkin/bag drop desk. No manual bag checks.
Security in TLV discriminates. They are not ashamed of it and it is very effective. In your case, you experienced positive discrimination. Good for you.

Search this Thread