Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for broken seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Compensation for broken seat

Hi

Appreciate advice from the experts on compensation for broken seat - and how to escalate.

In August I flew with family to USA. For SFO-ZRH leg in C class, both my seat and that of my daughter were broken - no recline, footrest, lumbar support or adjustment possible, no IFE, no electronics/lights for the full 12 hour flight. Maitre'd was extremely apologetic, and was able to manually adjust seat partially once - but could not fix lumbar, so seat was still extremely uncomfortable. There were no free seats in C or F - or even 2 seats together in Y.

Maitre de was willing to offer CHF 300 per person e-voucher on board, as that was the maximum he has - but suggested to contact customer care instead for a 'much more generous' offer due to major inconvenience.
However, when I raised complaint they emailed me back CHF 100 e-voucher per person, which I think is derisory. They won't even reply to reply emails or any contact to request more generous compensation - I have had no reponse to multiple emails.

1. What do you think is a reasonable compensation for this - miles and/or voucher?
2. How can I escalate to customer care, to get a suitable response?

Thanks very much!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Just to clarify: Did you accept the CHF300 vouchers on board and are asking for additional compensation, or did you not take the on-board vouchers and all LX is now offering is a CHF100 e-coupon?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: LXFF
Seems a little extreme. What kind of ticket was it? How was it booked?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ced_lx
Seems a little extreme. What kind of ticket was it? How was it booked?
Business class reward ticket booked using M&M
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
Just to clarify: Did you accept the CHF300 vouchers on board and are asking for additional compensation, or did you not take the on-board vouchers and all LX is now offering is a CHF100 e-coupon?
I accepted the CHF300 onboard voucher tickets as it was the only documentation/reference he could give me. I did not redeem it by entering code online and chooseing between CHF300 or 10,000 miles as he suggested that was best not to, as customer service team would make a 'much more generous' offer. I still have the tickets available.

Last edited by 2035; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: LXFF
So 300 + 100. Honestly SWISS could argue that you accepted 300 CHF to start with. Not saying it’s adequate at all.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
My line of argument would probably run like this:
- Without a functioning seat, my flight in C was more like a flight in Y
- On a one-way basis, I paid 55'000 miles for C but you gave me Y, which is 30'000 miles
- So you have to refund me 25'000 miles.
- You value 10'000 miles as CHF300 in vouchers, so the total compensation should be 25'000 miles or CHF750.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:04 pm

Perhaps worth raising the attention of the LX Lurkers to this issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.