Search

LY to WK connection (LX codeshare)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
LY to WK connection (LX codeshare)

Hello all,

Currently thinking on flying TLV-ZRH-HAV. The transatlantic flight is operated by WK (edelweiss, under LX codeshare), and the ticket is purchased from LX.
I have an option leaving TLV with LX itself on 4:50am or with LY (marketed by LX) on 8am, and clearly the LY option is preferable, as it shortens the connection time and has a far better departure time.

However, I wonder whether LY can check my baggage thru to WK. According to expertflyer they do not have an interline agreement, but LX do sell the flights under one ticket.

Does anyone have experience connecting from a carrier outside the LH group to WK?

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:27 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by gordo6
Hello all,

Currently thinking on flying TLV-ZRH-HAV. The transatlantic flight is operated by WK (edelweiss, under LX codeshare), and the ticket is purchased from LX.
I have an option leaving TLV with LX itself on 4:50am or with LY (marketed by LX) on 8am, and clearly the LY option is preferable, as it shortens the connection time and has a far better departure time.

However, I wonder whether LY can check my baggage thru to WK. According to expertflyer they do not have an interline agreement, but LX do sell the flights under one ticket.

Does anyone have experience connecting from a carrier outside the LH group to WK?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if they can check the luggage through, although logically I think it is definetly possible! (I'm not sure how else they imagine you make a close connection).
However, I would strongly advise to take the LX metal flight as quality as well as comfort wise it is just a lot better than LY. (Depending on your date the flight is even flown by a B77W or an A333 that offer real longhaul Business seats and IFE). Also Zurich has some very nice Business lounges one can spend their time in. If I personally had to chose I would chose the LX flight any time, any day.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Nick Art
However, I would strongly advise to take the LX metal flight as quality as well as comfort wise it is just a lot better than LY. (Depending on your date the flight is even flown by a B77W or an A333 that offer real longhaul Business seats and IFE). Also Zurich has some very nice Business lounges one can spend their time in. If I personally had to chose I would chose the LX flight any time, any day.
To each his own, but I clearly disagree with this: I'd always take 3h more sleep in a proper bed on a long travel day over a lie-flat seat on an airplane and 3h more hanging around at a transit airport...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by airoli
To each his own, but I clearly disagree with this: I'd always take 3h more sleep in a proper bed on a long travel day over a lie-flat seat on an airplane and 3h more hanging around at a transit airport...
Fair point. I guess that's just me then!
But allow me to elucidate: You could just go to bed 3 hours earlier.
I just value things like proper J cabin and certain airline or special aircraft type a lot more than 3 more hours of staying at home. I mean a 4:30 departure is just a lot more exciting! The airport is way less crowded and the whole ambience is just a lot better. And I think me personally I'd enjoy those additional 3 hours stay at the airport very much actually. It'd be exciting! You can wander around, do some people watching, explore the airport and maybeeven the city if you feel like it! Have I mentioned it'd be exciting?

I guess I have not lost my inner childish excitement for travelling
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
I mean a 4:30 departure is just a lot more exciting! The airport is way less crowded and the whole ambience is just a lot better.
I guess I have not lost my inner childish excitement for travelling
Have you been to TLV airport? It is very crowded at 4:30 and not crowded at 8
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by airoli
Agreed, that's also my thinking, but if the luggage won't be check thru I'll probably take the LX flight... That's why I've asked my question here
BTW, the connection time for the 8am flight is 1:45, which should be more than enough, should the luggage be checked thru. The connection time for the LX flight is 4:55 hours which is a lot.

Also, how is WK's business class?

Last edited by gordo6; Oct 11, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gordo6
Agreed, that's also my thinking, but if the luggage won't be check thru I'll probably take the LX flight... That's why I've asked my question here
BTW, the connection time for the 8am flight is 1:45, which should be more than enough, should the luggage be checked thru. The connection time for the LX flight is 4:55 hours which is a lot.

Also, how is WK's business class?
I wouldn’t say it’s more than enough, but definetly enough. (Although me personally I always opt for 2+ hours layover for if things go south, since it’s a flight that doesn’t fly every day, only 2 times weekly).

WK Business Class is just as good as Swiss, the service can be a little more personal (as the Business Class is smaller) and the seat, while the same seat type (Thomson Vantage) as on the Swiss A330/A340, it is a far newer version and therefor superior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.