First time flying LX F

Old Sep 10, 18, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Global Mercenary
First time flying LX F

Hi all -

Found great one way F fares from CDG-BOM via ZRH for next summer. Travelling as family of 4. I'm just trying to sort out all the options available to us as F pax and would love to hear some advice from FT pros.

We have a long layover at ZRH, arriving approx 10 pm and departing for BOM following morning at 945 am. Please note I am not used to connecting very often in Europe so Schengen/NonSchengen transit procedures seems quite confusing to me.

First, would you recommend staying at the transit hotel or booking an outside hotel for the evening? I am assuming the lounges, etc are closed at that time of night.

What is the value of car pickup on arrival in ZRH for F pax? How does it work and where exactly does it take us?

Do we get limo service in either paris, zurich or mumbai?

I noticed there are two first class lounges in ZRH, one of which has car transfer service. Is this similar to the experience in FRA at FCT?

I know I have asked a lot of questions. Any and all advice is much appreciated.
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: LX SEN, SQ QPPS2, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, SLH
To answer some of your questions:
- Lounges are closed at night.
- You should take a hotel in town or one of the airport hotels.
- On your CDG-ZRH you will not be able to enjoy any F services as your F leg is only the following day. Hence no car pick-up anyway.
- Coming from CDG you will already be within Schengen area in CDG
- You will depart to BOM from the non Schengen area form terminal E. You should: Go to FCL terminal A. They will take care of the rest, passport control, security, drive you over to E gates where you can enjoy the other F lounge.
Old Sep 10, 18, 5:01 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I don't know if they offer the drive from A to E automatically, but if they don't, do ask. The E lounge is a lot nicer.
Old Sep 11, 18, 12:12 am

When arriving from CDG you will be in business class. No special treatment. If your plane is at an outside position you get an extra business class bus which gets you to the baggage claim faster.
You can check the luggage thru to your final destination.

Next morning at the airport you can go thru the special first class security which will dump you directly into the F lounge in A. You can either stay there and then get a car to the E gates (not directly to the plane, just to the building) or ask for a car to the F lounge in E (much nicer than the one in A) and then walk from there to the gate. Immigration is then done at a special counter on the ground floor next to where you board the car.The car most likely will be a van with 6 seats.

And btw don't expect much choices like in the LH F lounges for breakfast. Very limited selection, but good quality food.
Old Sep 12, 18, 2:15 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Just one thought: why do you book this with a night stop in Zurich? There usually is an early morning LX flight from CDG, which leaves at either 7am or 7.25am, which is timed so that people like yourself can transit to connecting long haul flights (done that myself literally hundreds of times). Yes, you'd need to get up a little earlier, but that may still be more pleasant than the hassle of getting out of the airport in Zurich and then back in again next morning.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Looking at something similar. With the connection to the long haul same day, how is the process? Does LX assign an agent to help?
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:11 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by silver-tls View Post
Looking at something similar. With the connection to the long haul same day, how is the process? Does LX assign an agent to help?
What do you need an agent to help you with? There are few airports in the world that are more straightforward than Zurich. Not large, well organized, clean, efficient.

If you are transferring short haul > long haul then go to the First Class Lounge in A, and a driver will take you to the E pier. There is even an agent who presses the button in the lift for you! Access is direct from the car to the lounge. When you arrive long haul, a car will take you to Pier A, where you can use the First Class lounge.
Old Sep 16, 18, 7:43 am
Original Poster

The same day early AM flight left me just under 1 hour connection in ZRH. Wanted to enjoy some of the F services on the ground in ZRH without being rushed while also avoiding an extra short night at an expensive hotel in paris.
Old Sep 16, 18, 9:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vj_rama View Post
The same day early AM flight left me just under 1 hour connection in ZRH. Wanted to enjoy some of the F services on the ground in ZRH without being rushed while also avoiding an extra short night at an expensive hotel in paris.
Iíd do the same in your situation. A 9:45am departure is early enough for me!
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Reading some of the posts on different thread regarding transfer from A FCL to terminal E. Do you have to go through passport control a second time upon arrival at E terminal via limo?

If so, is it really worth it going through A FCL if the final destination is E FCL? Seems like a headache to simply ride in a car.
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vj_rama View Post
Reading some of the posts on different thread regarding transfer from A FCL to terminal E. Do you have to go through passport control a second time upon arrival at E terminal via limo?

If so, is it really worth it going through A FCL if the final destination is E FCL? Seems like a headache to simply ride in a car.
No. FCL A is in Schengen. There is an elevator from the lounge to the ground floor and there is a special immigration counter just before you leave the building. Quick and easy. FCL E is outside of Schengen.
Old Oct 5, 18, 2:22 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Hey guys.

Iíll hijack this thread as itís semi-related.

ill be arriving from KBP and flying to SIN on LX F.

I guess Iíll be in and out of E terminal as both are non-Schengen so Iíll just head straight to the E FCL?
Old Oct 5, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Lewis42 View Post
Hey guys.

I guess Iíll be in and out of E terminal as both are non-Schengen so Iíll just head straight to the E FCL?
What you suggested would also be my recommendation, as the FCL in E is much nicer than the FCL in A.
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:00 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lewis42 View Post
Hey guys.

Your flight from KBP might arrive at a D gate in which case itís not as straightforward.
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:19 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
If thatís the case, where I arrive into D, what would you suggest?

We will have about a 2.5 / 3 hour connection.

Search this Thread